Forget Sulfur 8...Just Rub an Onion on Your Head!

Christelyn

Crazy, but seemingly true. I suffer from an extremely itchy scalp. For those of you in the know about this condition, you're willing to try just about anything once to get relief. I recently read that onions, like garlic, contain large amounts of sulfur, and that some people apply onions and rub them directly onto the scalp to relieve a variety to conditions and to even grow their hair. I tried it last wash day. I can't say yet about the hair growth, but my itchies have reduced dramatically, which allows for me to go a few extra days without washing, which means less manipulation.

Anyone else heard or tried this?

Forever in Bloom

My Arab friend told me the ladies in her family do this :yep: and they all have waist length or longer hair. I tried to get more hair secrets from her, but she wasn't havin' it. It's like pullin a mouth full of frickin' teeth! :wallbash:

Christelyn

didnt your hair smell of onions all day though?

Nope. I just added it to my prewash treatments. I parted my hair into sections, cut the onion in quarters and kind of squeezed as I ran through the parts. Then I let it sit for about 20 minutes and then washed. No lingering onion smell. Next time, I might try the treatment overnight and wash in the morning, if my husband can stand it! :lachen:

GodsGrace

Hmm, I suffer from itchy scalp too........onions huh? Well we done put everything else on our scalp, why not?:lachen: I might have to wear some goggles with this though, don't wanna be :cry3: while prepooin:look:

hothair

I think I posted this in the Make up forum, as a kid my Grandad would tell me to slice an onion and rub on a spot, boil, rash when I feel it beginning, You must do it early (when u feel the tenderness) and it stops spots :yep:

Irresistible

interstesting

I dont have any itchies

but I would use an antiseptic type of thing , like listerine, or witch hazel, or tea tree oil if I did

nice to learn or hear of other things that are said to work though

Christelyn

It's funny how these old-time remedies work, huh? I've spent so much money over the years trying to soothe my scalp and all I had to do was rub an onion on it! Those come cheap! :lachen: I'm interested to find out about the hair growth prospect of it too. It sort of makes sense...if onions have such a high content of sulfur, and sulfur is shown to help hair growth...1 + 1 = APL BABY!!! :lachen::lachen::lachen:

vkb247

It seems like it would be hard to rub onion all over your scalp - especially for people like me with very dense hair.

Do you think we could make an oil out of onion or blend some onion in a pre-poo mix. Oooh! I am giving myself some ideas!

gn1g

if you put the onion in a food processor or blender and puree it, you could probably work with it.

I was in a health food store and noticed a hair pomade that had onions as the first ingredient. It was for alopecia I think. it was $10.

Christelyn

It seems like it would be hard to rub onion all over your scalp - especially for people like me with very dense hair.

Do you think we could make an oil out of onion or blend some onion in a pre-poo mix. Oooh! I am giving myself some ideas!

You're giving me ideas too. Tomorrow is wash day and I'm trying to find a better way to distribute.