Co-washing really does work!! (long)

blackbarbie

O.K. ladies, I just started cw about 2 weeks ago, but I can say already that it works!! How do I know?? Well my younger sister has been doing it for the past 3 or 4 years and not even knowing she was doing it!!!

I haven't seen her in about 3 months and she came to visit me this weekend and her hair was a couple of inches past BSL. I couldn't believe it because it wasn't as nearly that long the last time I saw her.

My hair texture is fine and not that thick and hers is coarse and she has always had a head of thick hair. In the past, she would envy my hair when it past BSL and I would envy hers because it was so thick. It was always past shoulder length though. She has gotten it cut in layers many times and every time I see her it would always have grown back so quickly. I have never seen it so long as this time though. She has always been one to (especially in the summer) to do a braidout or just shampoo, bun and let air dry. She would do it several times a week b/c she worked out a lot. She wasn't thinking "grow my hair", she was thinking "convenience". She rarely uses heat and probably goes about 16 weeks before relaxing (habit adopted when she was a poor college student)..I had told her about my maxiglide and she agreed that she would just poo and let her hair air dry so she could try it out when she came to see me. She let me flat iron it and OMG! Then I started telling her about LHCF and co-washing, MTG, etc.....She kept thinking I was saying "con-washing" and kept asking me where to get that kind of poo from. When I explained to her and told her what I was talking about, she said "Oh that what I always do most of the time anyway, b/c if I use shampoo everytime, it just makes my hair really hard, so i just use conditioner!!"

Just seeing her amazing results has convinced me to stay on my CW journey. And I can't imagine what's going to happen now that she is using MTG (which is working for me; hope it works well for her)

ekomba

i absolutely agree i dont use poo anymore its been like 4months and i see the difference faster growth i con wash every 3days

blackbarbie

Be happy for sis for right now....mine is on the way!!:lol: Will know just how much when I retouch in mid Dec. I can say that it has helped manage new growth though, and I didn't know my sister, she wouldn't have been able to convince me that that's all she's doing to her hair. Yes I would have sworn up and down that there is no way you can get that kind of growth in that short period of time.

Hopefully when I get a touchup (Dec. 10th) I will have a testimony of my very own! (I will tell sis that you guys are happy for her!)

blackbarbie

tishee said:
blackbarbie,

do you mind telling how exactly you do a conditioner wash?
thanks in advance

Tishee,
I am not the expert here (only been doing it for about a couple of weeks or so), but I usually comb all my hair back before I get in the shower and once I get in, I use either VO5 (cheapie cond.) or Mane n Tail conditioner to "shampoo" it. I use the Jibere (sp.) shower comb to detangle while I am in the shower. When I am out, I use MTG on my scalp (I have it in a color applicator bottle with a slanted tip) and also use WGO on my scalp as well. (so my scalp and hair won't be dry when I am done). I detangle with Surge or either the Mane N Tale Detangler (just started using that). I use the same Mane N Tail conditioner that I had in the shower and put more of it in once I am out of the shower, along with Rusk Smoother. I use either WGO or jojoba oil on my ends. Then I detangle and bun. I wrap it with a satin scarf and then I am off to bed!! I do that at night and in the morning, it's nice and shiny from having the scarf lay everything down. (bun is still wet though). If I go 2 days before I cw again, that will give the bun time to dry and if I take it down it is really soft and bouncy, but I end up just cw'ing again; really almost do it everyday.

morehairplease

blackbarbie thansk SO much!

blackbarbie said:
Tishee,
I am not the expert here (only been doing it for about a couple of weeks or so), but I usually comb all my hair back before I get in the shower and once I get in, I use either VO5 (cheapie cond.) or Mane n Tail conditioner to "shampoo" it. I use the Jibere (sp.) shower comb to detangle while I am in the shower. When I am out, I use MTG on my scalp (I have it in a color applicator bottle with a slanted tip) and also use WGO on my scalp as well. (so my scalp and hair won't be dry when I am done). I detangle with Surge or either the Mane N Tale Detangler (just started using that). I use the same Mane N Tail conditioner that I had in the shower and put more of it in once I am out of the shower, along with Rusk Smoother. I use either WGO or jojoba oil on my ends. Then I detangle and bun. I wrap it with a satin scarf and then I am off to bed!! I do that at night and in the morning, it's nice and shiny from having the scarf lay everything down. (bun is still wet though). If I go 2 days before I cw again, that will give the bun time to dry and if I take it down it is really soft and bouncy, but I end up just cw'ing again; really almost do it everyday.