Should hair be clean or "dirty" when you relax?

ShiShiPooPoo

I have heard that hair should be dirty when you relax but then I read (from the forum) you should clarify a couple of days beforehand (which I did already) but as I was doing it I was wondering if what I have heard my whole life is true or not.

myco

"yes and no", IMO.

You don't want to have so much product throughout your hair that it interferes with the processing. But at the same time you don't want to strip all the natural oils that form a barrier on your scalp. That's why I clarify 3-7 days before the relaxer. That gets rid of excess products, but it gives your scalp time to replenish itself. Plus you're less likely to burn because of little microscopic tears on your scalp from washing, if you wait a day or two.

CAPlush

This is what I've read somewhere on this forum, and I believe it is true. If your hair is resistant to relaxers, you need to relax on hair that was recently (2-3 days) shampooed. The reason is the shampoo will lift the acidic scalp secretions that have accumulated on the hair and the relaxer will take better. If your scalp is sensitive, then you are better off leaving that protective layer of "dirt" in tact before you relax. That's one theory. I personally relax on hair that has been recently shampooed.

lisana

I clarify before my relaxer. But I can't wash my hair and use no products for 3 days before I relax, my hair would be a tangled hair weed. I use a leave in and serum so unless you don't use anything on your hair, it's not really 100% clean.