Zerran Reform straightening system

dany06

Has anyone heard of, tried or no how to get a hold of this product. Is a supposedly chemical free permanent straightener. I would like to try it. You dont have to worry to much about overlapping when touching up like typical permanent straighteners. http://www.zerran.com/reform.html

luckiestdestiny

THis is what it says in the pdf:

How does Zerran’s Reform work?
Unlike traditional straightening or smoothing products, which rely on chemicals
to break curl bonds, Reform relies on specific high heat to activate the
permanent internal change from curly to straight.
Our vegan proteins are derived from corn and soy, broken down to extremely
small pieces. These protein particles are then small enough to penetrate into
the hair shaft, permanently filling the gaps created when the disulfide curl
bonds are broken by heat. The high specific heat opens the cuticle temporarily,
allowing the proteins into the hair shaft. For this reason, a specific Zerran
Reform-approved flatiron must be used.
Reform Activator is pH 4.5-5.5, so no chemical neutralization is needed. The
product is only heat activated, so neutralization occurs when the hair cools.
For this same reason, no gloves or protective balms are needed.
As you apply heat to Reform Activator, steam is released, with zero toxic
emissions. None of the ingredients in Reform’s patented process are
formaldehyde or aldehyde donors. For this reason, no masks, fans, or
expensive venting systems are needed. Reform is safe for use around children,
pregnant women, and those with inhalation sensitivities.
Zerran International Corp., 12880 Pierce Street, Los Angeles, CA 91331
800.626.1921 •

luckiestdestiny

They also have this temporary one that lasts 2-4 months that's supposedly NOT formaldehyde

Zerran RealLisseTM What is this?Zerran REALLISSETM Natural Hair Smoothing System
Zerran ReallisseTM is a patented, botanically based system offering semi-permanent smoothing MINUS the use of formaldehyde or other harsh chemicals. The 100% vegan formulation includes wheat, corn and oat proteins and no keratin or other animal products to relax curl and tame frizzy hair.
This professional system is for salon use only. No chemical or health worries. No irritating fumes or odors. Hair will accept thermal curl. RealLisseTM can be used on hair that is colored or bleached. Smoothing results last 2 to 4 months.
Enjoy ultra smooth, shiny and easy care hair that takes half the time to style. Keep the look and feel of improved natural hair without compromise!

Dellas

Only Zerran for me!
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 11:21:47 PM
I have been working with Zerran's Reform for almost 1 year now. I have had some very impressive results with it. This is a permanent straightener that can be adjusted to the clients needs. What I mean by that is, the straighter you want the hair, the slower you make your passes with the flat iron. This is a permanent straightener that is completely safe! There are no aldehydes, formaldehyde, sodium hydroxide, thio, or any toxic ingredients in Zerran's Reform. I have had a challenge getting some client's hair straight, but that is due to the buildup of silicone oils used on the hair. Zerran has recognized this challenge, and they developed a new shampoo called Absolution that removes the silicone from the hair which gives more consistent results. I am proud to use a product that I know is completely safe! No mask, no gloves, and I can pour it right on my skin with NO reaction whatsoever! They also have an A.P.S. (advanced professional service) that pre-treats the hair for a color service. This is a service that helps to hold color in longer and it really works! One of my clients gets multi-color red in her hair and she said it held a lot longer after the A.P.S. If any of you haven't checked out Zerran, then you are missing out on an excellent line of products! Keeping my clients and fellow employees safe, Jim

BTC Forum- Thread List

lilikoi

There was a mention of this recently. I think it was in the BKT support thread. Sure sounds appealing and interesting but I'm not getting excited until I get a full list of ingredients. The marketing is very slick, but there's no real information to be found anywhere. What is the mechanism? What are the active ingredients? Where did this company come from? Will they just take the money and run?!

Thread lightly...

ETA: I will keep looking for more info but I just found this (negative) review:

"this review is only helpful for those who want to get their hair straightened. i can't comment on anything else they do at this salon.

BOTTOM LINE: do not get your hair straightened using the Zerran Straightening Treatment: it doesn't work. it set me back $445 and 3 hours and lasted no longer than a blowout - a far cry from the 8 months i was promised. i'd leave it at 1 star if it weren't for Regan and Marina's good intentions.

A WEEK OR TWO BEFORE MY APPOINTMENT
i call Regan, presumably the owner of this salon, to book an appointment to straighten my hair using Keratin Smoothing Treatment. she says it'll cost up to $250 and take 2 hours.

12:30PM, DAY OF THE APPOINTMENT
Regan and her sweet assistant Marina size me up pretty quickly and advise me to bail on the Keratin and go for the "all natural" Zerran Straightener instead. it'll cost more but take the same 2 hours and will result in straight hair. go for it, i tell them. after all, previous hair straighteners have never failed me, why not.

2:30PM
Marina is flat ironing my hair and is far from being done within the 2 hours they said it would take. but i don't want her to rush - after all, this process will save me tons of time in the future, since i will be able to wash and go - yay! i ask her if this is how my hair will look and she confirms yes.

3:45PM
Marina is wrapping up, but i have to ask Regan to do a 5-minute quick clean-up trim to make sure every uneven strand won't show. she charges me for a full-price cut. in my experience, post-straightening trims are complimentary at other salons, since it's something you really have to do, otherwise every uneven strand will show. i'm bummed for the extra $65 charge, but still, i tip generously, happy that my hair looks and feels great. Marina reminds me that i'm not supposed to wash my hair for 3 days.

3 DAYS AFTER THE APPOINTMENT
i wash my hair with my sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner. i towel dry and almost immediately see the wave in my hair reappear. slowly, as my hair dries, it gets bigger and bigger, frizzier and frizzier. soon, to my horror and surprise, my hair is just as it was when i walked into Sotiris Salon. i shoot off email Regan to tell her "all natural" Zerran didn't work.

5 DAYS AFTER THE APPOINTMENT
two days later, Regan emails me back saying her Zerran rep wants to do the process again on a weekday. they promise it'll take no more than 2 hours. yeah, i've heard that one before. unfortunately, i have to work for a living and can't take any more time off than i already have. i offer up my home on the weekend if they're willing, and Regan writes back that "doing this process in a home in not an option," and passes on that Zerran says i "may have some buildup on my hair."

ohhh, so it was my fault. forget that Marina used the Zerran clarifying shampoo on my hair before the treatment, and that i hadn't used any product in my hair the week before the appointment in anticipation of the process.

and nevermind that i'm Asian, and thus, have much less frizzy hair than most who get their hair straightened. if it didn't work on me, it won't work on anyone. hope someone can learn from my mistake."

Last edited:

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I sent a request for further info. I am not jumping on the band wagon this early in the game as having straight hair isn't a priority for me. However, as my hair is getting longer, I would love to have a temporary option to straighten my hair.

Muse

I loved the BKT but I am now realizing that my hair cannot take keratin protein so my hair eventually broke off with the BKT. I stopped that but I still used keratin protein treatments (Joico and aphogee) and would notice broken hair still even after a fresh cut. I stopped using keratin and my hair has stopped breaking.

This one intrigues me because it's not keratin but likes others have said I am not jumping on the wagon. I do miss the manageability the BKT gave me though.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
It's just a glorified term for heat straitening.:look: If it is a non chemical way to straiten, but you need to flat iron the stuff in, it's a BKT knock off.:yep:

me-T

It's just a glorified term for heat straitening.:look: If it is a non chemical way to straiten, but you need to flat iron the stuff in, it's a BKT knock off.:yep:
that's what i was gonna say. i scrolled through the rest of the thread, saw "$445" and said :lachen:

Channy31

I like the idea of the "ZERRAN REFORM 2.0®" as a possible temp straightener, don't think I could never do anything permanent again.

Although it mentions it breaks down hair bonds.. Sounds like hair my be permanently altered?

Last edited:

BlackHairDiva

I like the idea of the "ZERRAN REFORM 2.0®" as a possible temp straightener, don't think I could never do anything permanent again.

Although it mentions it breaks down hair bonds.. Sounds like hair my be permanently altered?

Rethink that.... Look in the BKT forum... apparently one member in here worked with the person who created Zerran. Turns out the person is not a certified stylist and clients obtain heat damage and breakage months after the treatment. Go for a BKT or something else...

If your simply want to temporarily straighten your hair bkt washes of with sulfate shampoo and your hair will be curly again.

There other options that are better than zerran.

Channy31

Rethink that.... Look in the BKT forum... apparently one member in here worked with the person who created Zerran. Turns out the person is not a certified stylist and clients obtain heat damage and breakage months after the treatment. Go for a BKT or something else...

If your simply want to temporarily straighten your hair bkt washes of with sulfate shampoo and your hair will be curly again.

There other options that are better than zerran.

Thank you, where is this BKT forum? I can't seem to find it :(