Ladies that don't trim until hair goal.. PROS VS. CONS

mariofmagdal

My last cut was in 2006, this was before the start of my hair journey in 2008, nonetheless, I have not trimmed at all. I plan to when I reach my current goal.

hillytmj

I find that trimming every 2-3 months is good for me. I've also found that a trim of 1/4 inch (i.e. dusting) works just fine.

tri3nity

I had my ends dusted my last relaxer. I have the same testimony as having healthy hair but not making it past shoulder length. So, I have started self relaxing and I will be dusting my ends as needed. I had a friend of mine closely inspect my strands and ends today and she said they looked fine. She is a natural waist length, so I trust her judgement. says shes going to help me reach my first goal which is BSL. :rolleyes: Then if I feel comfortable enough to care for all of that hair I will go for waist length.

SimpleKomplexity

I probably would never have gotten to APL if I didn't go ahead and stop trimming until I got to my goal. It was very frusrating. Everytime I'd see a little progress towards my goal, my hair would have horrible ends...and I'd be right back where I started. I just said...I'll deal with it and 3-4 months later I was finally a little past my goal. THEN I trimmed about 1.5 inches off. I had even ends but I was still APL. I agree. Even if you do cut, your new even ends are now exposed...and they'll prolly be split/uneven within a few months....it's better to just wait.

icsonia22

Bump

Anyone still do this or have done this with success? Anyone tried this and failed? What was your experience?

snoop

My ends LOVE to wrap on themselves. I never used to trim my hair (at all) and also had a lot of bad hair practices. I now dust every three months and have good hair practices.

I think my hair thrives with frequent dustings. The ends don't catch on themselves easily which makes detangling much easier for me. Easier detangling, less stress and breakage. I say "thinks" because I've started using shea butter this year and it's made my hair softer and "silkier" and my ends are playing extremely well together.

I stretched my trim to six months for the first half of the year, but I'm not comfortable stretching my dusting sessions indefinitely.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I still do this, with some caveats. If I am combing and heat styling my hair regularly, I can only go 9 months without a trim.

In the past, my indicator that I needed a trim was if my hair ends started to tangle. While at the university, I cut the front of my hair down to about 4 inches long. I think I cut off about 2 to 3 inches. I washed my hair that following week.

Despite having freshly cut hair, my ends tangled and knotted anyway, just 7 days after being CUT, not just trimmed. For my hair, there were some other things to consider besides tangled ends as an indicator of my hair health.

Since then, I have stopped combing my hair regularly and rarely use a comb.

In the last 2 years I added Shea butter to me hair, oil my ends and protect them at night and wear my braids up in a baggie. I implemented a 'Nightly Ends Routine', which I did not have until around December 2016.

I have not trimmed in 2019. I've only cut out 1 or 2 small tangles. I plan on trimming in February 2020.

Do I have splits? Yes. Do I have knots? Yes. They are an issue and detract from the beauty of my hair style when I wear my hair heat straightened. Thus, I always get a deep trim/cut when I get my hair straightened.

The last time I got my hair heat straightened was in Sept 2014, which is about five (5), going on six (6) years ago. My ends are holding up okay. The 'true test' will be how it looks when I finally decide to get it heat straightened again.