Hot oil treatments - good or bad?

Leshia

Does anyone remember when someone posted about hot oil treatments supposedly coating the hair with oil and not letting moisture in or out of the hair shaft? Based on this, I'm not comfortable doing them. A friend told me to sit under the dryer with olive oil in my hair and I'm wondering if that's the best thing to do...? Do most of you guys do hot oil treatments or no?? If so, how often?

Chimma

That's the reason I like oil though. A good conditioner can prevent moisture from leaving the shaft, and I like oil because it makes my hair shinier and keeps it moisturized longer since the water takes longer to escape.

I haven't done a hot oil treatment in a while though so I would love to read other people's experiences.

OnceUponAtime

I love hot oil treatments. I do them once or twice a week, depending on how dry my hair is.

I pre-rinse my hair with a baking soda rinse to remove any old product. Sometimes I shampoo before hand too if my hair is especially coated. I think it lets the oil do its magic that way.

I squeeze the excess water from my hair, pat it very gently with a towel, then pour a generous coating of olive oil. Smooth it through using my fingers and cover with a plastic cap. I have a heat cap, so I sit under it for at least 20 minutes. If I need to move around, I wrap my hair in a towel let my body temp do the work.

I follow it with a deep conditioner. I also use the olive oil and Nexxus Humectress as a leave in conditioner. It may sound like a lot, but it's been really cold here most days, so I'm putting my hair through moisture boot camp this winter. So far, my hair is loving the extra attention.

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
PrincessM said:
Not to jack this post, but does anyone else mist their hair before doing a hot oil treatment?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do, sometimes
. But if my hair has a lot of product on it, I'll shampoo it once, then do the hot oil.

I like hot oil treatments. Especially in the winter months with the cold, dry air...
I think my hair can use the extra pampering!!

shinyblackhair

My hair turns out lusiously soft and moisturized when I do a hot oil treatment. I use EV olive oil, with a bit of my Wonder 8 oil mixed in. I heat it up and pour it on my scalp and massage it in from root to end. I put on a plastic cap for 1/2 hr - and hour and then shampoo with a nice moisturizing shampoo. I deep conditioner and air dry. My hair comes out sooo nice when I do this. The fact that my hair comes out so soft when I do the hot oil, is what motivates me to stick with it, cuz I do get tempted to skip it sometimes. I try to do them every week.

PrincessM I don't mist my hair first, but that might be something neat to try!

buffalosoldier

I like the fact that my hair feels protected by the oil but i'm undecided if this is a good or a bad thing. in the quidad brochure she says what you said about coating the hair etc etc. I hadnt used oil for years until i came on here and saw that all the girls use it which really shocked me. they all had beautiful hair so I quickly jumped on that bandwagon !!! I will continue doing them cos I havent seen any adverse effects thus far.

hair 3c

JenJen2721

[ QUOTE ]
Lindy said:
[ QUOTE ]
PrincessM said:
Not to jack this post, but does anyone else mist their hair before doing a hot oil treatment?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do, sometimes
. But if my hair has a lot of product on it, I'll shampoo it once, then do the hot oil.

I like hot oil treatments. Especially in the winter months with the cold, dry air...
I think my hair can use the extra pampering!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto! I love pre-shampoo hot oil treatments, especially with honey! They definitely make my hair softer, more moisturized and shinier too!

Nyambura

surfer girl
[ QUOTE ]
PrincessM said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.
I do.
I mist my hair with distilled water until it's damp. I got this idea from a post similar to this awhile ago, where Adrienne said she applied warm oil to damp hair. And since Adrienne has AMAZING hair, I reckon my hair could use a little warm oil treatment now and then. I think Supergirl and Allandra do them too (although I don't know if it's on damp, wet, or dry hair).

S

Stylepink

I've never done a hot oil treatment but want to try it now. After the tx, do you rinse it out or wash it out and condition as usuall? Any info would be appreciated.

Nyambura

surfer girl
Hi Stylepink

I do mine as a pre-shampoo treatment.
But I always concentrate on washing my scalp instead of my hair, so some of the oil (I'm guessing) stays in. Others use warm oil treatments post-shampoo. I know the Queen Helene ones that you can buy at the drugstore are meant to be used afteron freshly washed hair. HTH.

S

Stylepink

Thanks Nyambura. Do you use olive oil or a homemade treatment?

Nyambura

surfer girl
You're welcome, Stylepink. I use olive oil currently. But I've also used castor oil, jojoba oil, Hot Six Oil and Wonder 8 oil too. I was pleased with the results of each. I don't know why, but the oil seems to spread/penetrate better when it's warm - as opposed to when I put it on cold and rely on my body heat by wearing a shower cap and towel over my head.

Laginappe

[ QUOTE ]
Ditto! I love pre-shampoo hot oil treatments, especially with honey! They definitely make my hair softer, more moisturized and shinier too!

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this vote for hot oil treats with honey. I use a variety of oils - olive, jojoba, almond, castor (if I need something heavier) and a good couple tablespoons of honey.

I will have to try the pre-cleanse, then hot oil treatment, then shampoo routine though. I always kind of wondered about hot oiling over hair that hasn't been fully cleaned yet, although I've had great results anyway.

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
Laginappe said:
I always kind of wondered about hot oiling over hair that hasn't been fully cleaned yet, although I've had great results anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I wonder about that, too... That's why sometimes I'll shampoo once first.

notsomebody

[ QUOTE ]
Lindy said:
[ QUOTE ]
Laginappe said:
I always kind of wondered about hot oiling over hair that hasn't been fully cleaned yet, although I've had great results anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason that you get good results from hot oiling hair that hasn't been washed, is because the oil acts as a shampoo of sorts. Oil is used to remove all types of dirt, debris, and other oils in every day life, its no different with your hair. Or, your skin for that matter. I use jojoba oil to wash my face and EVOO for hot oil treatments. There are some days when I do the hotoil treatment, rinse, and deep condition without shampooing because rinsing the oil has cleaned my hair clean- and the best part is that it doesn't dry out the hair like many of the chemicals in shampoo.

To the first poster: I think they were talking about specific types of oils not allowing moisture in- I know Mineral Oil is really bad about this.
Also, with hot oil treatments you are rinsing the oil away before you condition anyway, so your conditioner will still be able to get through and do its job. The oil helps keep the moisturizing benefits of the conditioner there a little longer.

Spagirl

Yes, it's my understanding as well that some things that coat or build up on the hair that seal, seal moisture in. On the flip side, it locks additional moisture out.

By removing the product before your hair needs to have the moisture replenished is the key. When the hair is in need of additional moisture can vary from person to person due to: thickness of hair, type of product used, general condition of the hair, environmental conditions, fluids consumed orally, etc.

Things that seal the hair can be good for the hair. If not used mindfully that which is good in this case can become bad.

In answering you question, I do hot oil tx (after wetting my hair) occasional because it's too time consuming in addition to the other things I do with my hair.

G

So the oil prevents other moisture from coming in..what about the people who use vaseline after moisturizing the hair? I understand they do that on a daily basis...how does the moisture get into the hair the next day if you already have vaseline on it?

Spagirl

[ QUOTE ]
Natori24 said:
So the oil prevents other moisture from coming in..what about the people who use vaseline after moisturizing the hair? I understand they do that on a daily basis...how does the moisture get into the hair the next day if you already have vaseline on it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point!
The things that are supposed to be capable of sealing moisture out per the so call hair experts of the hair industry haven't given a detail understanding of their statements. I would have to guess and my guess would be if this theory is true it might be based on what layer of the hair is being sealed ie. outer layer (surface) inner layer or inner most layers (I'm not the A&P person so bear with me). If the surface layer isn't completely sealed than some moisture would be able to get in. The amount of moisture getting in and the ability to keep up the hairs total need for moisture is probably where the problem can come into play if not moniter. That would be my guess.

Question: Those who use things that block moisture or those that end up with product build up problems what do you experience when you rinse your hair before you shampoo? Does you hair seem unwilling to be saturated readily with the moisture/water until you use whatever it is you use to remove the barrier? How does your hair respond?

I'm presently using CD HHB. It has beeswax in it (minimal amount per maker). I'm going to try and not wash my hair for a week and continue to add the product along with moisturizing with water and see what my outcome is and compare it w/my usual oils.

Chimma

Few products coat the shaft so well that they truly don't allow any moisture in. There are a few silicones that will do this, so initially they seal the water in, but later they prevent water from getting in. But with most oils, if your hair is dry, you spritz some water on it and the oil keeps the water in.

CD HHB is just another product that uses oils to keep the moisture in. It is olive oil infused with sage & lavender, water, beeswax, shea butter (which turns into shea oil), cocoa butter, wheat germ oil, essential oils of lavender, rosemary, lemongrass, ylang-ylang, patchouli and sweet orange and sodium borate [mineral emulsifier]. It's just a bunch of oils.

buffalosoldier

Question: Those who use things that block moisture or those that end up with product build up problems what do you experience when you rinse your hair before you shampoo? Does you hair seem unwilling to be saturated readily with the moisture/water until you use whatever it is you use to remove the barrier? How does your hair respond?

I use alot of oil - hot oil treatments and slather on oil after washing plus I do vaseline on ends thing. I dont notice any difference at all when I wash my hair as far as build up but I wash it at least 4/5 times a week. there is no way I'd go a week without washing with all that oil/vaseline etc

hair 3c

Spagirl

[ QUOTE ]
buffalosoldier said:
.....there is no way I'd go a week without washing with all that oil/vaseline etc

hair 3c

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl, I know what you mean <<<as I go to wash my skin again>>> I hope I can pull this experiment off. Using a new product and being heavy handed with it....it's gonna be rough.

Edited to add:
Natori: Your welcome.

Leshia

[ QUOTE ]
notsomebody said:
[ QUOTE ]
Lindy said:
[ QUOTE ]
Laginappe said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason that you get good results from hot oiling hair that hasn't been washed, is because the oil acts as a shampoo of sorts. Oil is used to remove all types of dirt, debris, and other oils in every day life, its no different with your hair. Or, your skin for that matter. I use jojoba oil to wash my face and EVOO for hot oil treatments. There are some days when I do the hotoil treatment, rinse, and deep condition without shampooing because rinsing the oil has cleaned my hair clean- and the best part is that it doesn't dry out the hair like many of the chemicals in shampoo.

To the first poster: I think they were talking about specific types of oils not allowing moisture in- I know Mineral Oil is really bad about this.
Also, with hot oil treatments you are rinsing the oil away before you condition anyway, so your conditioner will still be able to get through and do its job. The oil helps keep the moisturizing benefits of the conditioner there a little longer.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm specifically talking about hot oil treatments done with oils. They were supposedly coating the hair and not letting moisture in or out. I don't know that anyone actually does a hot oil treatment with mineral oil...

G

I add oil to my cheap cholesterol. It turns it into a very luxe treatment

soulchild

Caramela, I tried this for the first time a couple of weeks ago before shampooing and I loved it! I need to do it again