Best Braids for fine and thin hair

P

peacefulstrength

I really want to put my hair in braids at the end of the month or beginning of feb. I have school work to deal with and I dont want to bother with it for two months. Anyways, I was wondering what style of braids would be best for fine and thin hair? Especially around the temples? Whether, it be kinky, senegalese, micros...i forgot what the rest where called. Just name it! Please help!!!!

prettypuff1

i would like to know as well.... i tried microbraids..... they pulled out my hair in clumps i still i have two YOUNG BALD SPOTS in the front temples....

P

peacefulstrength

bump...i'm sure some fine haired ladies on here get braids. Good or bad, I need some suggestions.

P

peacefulstrength

prettypuff1 said:
i would like to know as well.... i tried microbraids..... they pulled out my hair in clumps i still i have two YOUNG BALD SPOTS in the front temples....
I had micro awhile back and yes they took out my temples too. Very sad. I was thinking maybe like a two stranded braid would less harsh like kinky twist or senegalese twist.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
IMHO - braids can be more damaging than helpful, especially for fragile heads like ours (I have fine, thin hair as well). More often than not they can cause more thinning and balding unless you do some cornrows. I would stay away from any braid that "swings" from the scalp. Are you relaxed (don't recall if I saw anything in your siggy)?

P

peacefulstrength

january noir said:
IMHO - braids can be more damaging than helpful, especially for fragile heads like ours (I have fine, thin hair as well). More often than not they can cause more thinning and balding unless you do some cornrows. I would stay away from any braid that "swings" from the scalp. Are you relaxed (don't recall if I saw anything in your siggy)?

I am relaxed. But, I only want to keep them in for a short time. Probably like a month and a half or two months. I think that was my problem before, I used to leave them in for like 3 months to four months. :eek: But, now I think I have a little more knowledge.

sareca

My hair isn't fine, but I think if they are not too tight, too small, or too heavy you'll be ok.

ayoung

cornrolls work really well for my hair, they just don't last as long as singles for me. i get the most growth from them

Tzarina

I think twists are best. I had micro braids at one point and they've caused my hair to split.

HONEYVIBE

My hair is fine but i have a love one who's a professional braider (doesnt charge me much). I tell her not to braid my edges so tight and i'm able to leave my braids in for 3 months. (of course i get my edges redone every month though). My hair is growing fine. So i guess it depends who does it.

KathyMay

I would go with the Sengalese twists. I have fine, coarse hair if that makes any sense I took mine out in October and my hair thrived in the twists. I plan on getting some more put back in a few weeks.

P

peacefulstrength

yeah, i think i'll get senegalese twist. I'll just ask them not to do it too tight and not too tight on the temples. And they better listen!!! Thanks to everyone!!!!

P

patient1

sareca said:
My hair isn't fine, but I think if they are not too tight, too small, or too heavy you'll be ok.

I agree. If the braids are mainly for protective styles and your hair is fine and short, consider wearing your braids UP (buns, ponytails, w/claws or hair sticks) as opposed to down.

Besides what Sareca mentioned, it's important that extensions have a good anchor thats why the THICKER the parted area is the safer. Be sure to keep your scalp nourished and lubricated and your hair strands moisturized. I won't even do micros for clients to be honest (and I get lots of requests) only because I rarely see folks leave the experience with their hair in the same or better shape.

p1

P

peacefulstrength

patient1 said:
I agree. If the braids are mainly for protective styles and your hair is fine and short, consider wearing your braids UP (buns, ponytails, w/claws or hair sticks) as opposed to down.

Besides what Sareca mentioned, it's important that extensions have a good anchor thats why the THICKER the parted area is the safer. Be sure to keep your scalp nourished and lubricated and your hair strands moisturized. I won't even do micros for clients to be honest (and I get lots of requests) only because I rarely see folks leave the experience with their hair in the same or better shape.

p1

thank you for the advice. But I was wondering why wear it up as opposed to down? I've heard the opposite in the past.