Emu oil: Are you mixing it with other oils?

allmundjoi

I recently purchased emu oil. I have read some great things about it. I was surprised at how thick it is. I wanted to put it on my scalp and maybe the ends of my hair, but man, that oil is thick. I was also going to mix wheat germ oil in it, but that crap stinks. I still have 1/2 bottle if Bee Mine hair growth serum, maybe mix it with that? Essential oils? Idk. Before I mix (and waste) I thought I'd get some suggestions on what to mix. And what are y'all mixing with wheat germ oil to cut the smell? TIA.

Sent from my DROIDX using Long Hair Care Forum App

Forever in Bloom

I can't help you with the wheat germ oil, but sometimes I'll mix emu oil with Jamaican black castor oil. It makes my scalp pulsate :bud::headspin:

allmundjoi

Forever in Bloom, do you mean you get a headache or dizzy?

And thanks for the response!

allmundjoi

I mix my lovely emu oil into my Hot Six Oil
Does your scalp tingle with the emu oil too? Have you noticed improved growth? How long have you been using it? How often and how?

And thanks Forever in Bloom! Those questions are for you as well.

TIA ladies! :)

Forever in Bloom

Does your scalp tingle with the emu oil too? Have you noticed improved growth? How long have you been using it? How often and how?

I posted these pics in the Hide Your Hair Challenge. This is 3 weeks of growth using emu oil and castor oil. I measured it and it's almost an inch. Sadly I have not worked out for 3 weeks either so circulation is not a cause. I have been taking selenium, 1 Nioxin supplement (take these in the evening) , and drinking msm powder with orange juice (I take this in the afternoon - gotta take it with vitamin c!).

allmundjoi

Forever in Bloom-oooweee! That looks like great growth! I def will be using the emu oil + castor oil + Bee Mine growth serum (sulfur) + wheat germ oil on my scalp! I am thinking of adding wheat germ oil to my evco/shea butter to seal my ends. Dang that's a lotta oil, lol

Thanks for the pics!

Rose1

I sometimes add emu oil to my JBCO and coconut oil mix together with a few drops of essential oils.

Lita

I mix emu in just about everything...It works wonders with JBCO,Peppermint & Camphor mix..PERFECT with anything, including adding it to your leave-ins or pomades....

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:

Forever in Bloom

Are y'all putting it on your scalp, ends, or both?

Since I consider it my growth oil, I put it on my scalp. I doubt it would hurt to put on the ends, but I use my moisturizers and a cheaper oil to seal for that. Since I have crochet braids in I can't apply anything to my ends; plus, the emu oil and Jamaican black castor oil are already a bit on the expensive side, so they only go on my scalp.

Forever in Bloom

Where is are you puchasing the emu oil?

http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-19502-thunder-ridge-emu-products-100-emu-oil-8-oz

I usually buy the 8 oz. The Thunder Ridge brand has a very light smell - not bad at all - and lasts forever. I have had this 8 oz bottle for a year and a half, and I still have 1/4 of the bottle left. I use it on my face as well :yep:

When I repurchase I plan on getting the 16 oz. now that I know I can keep it for a while without the smell becoming rank.

I purchased one brand from the Vitamin Shoppe and it only lasted 3 months, and it was in a smaller bottle. No telling how long it had even been in the store.

allmundjoi

I got mine from Vitamin Shoppe, Longview Farms Emu Oil. They claim to be very refined (no blood or bone, chemicals or other contaminants).

theLovelyStyle

Hmm, I dont think I've ever had a tingling sensation with this product, but I also mix it with my Hot 6 oils 3parts to 1 emu oil part.

I started using emu oil because my edges were looking like they were beginning to thin. My edges look much better now. I wish I could find where I put those pics, but since then I've been using it all over my scalp as well.

I've been using emu oil for over 6 months now and I believe I saw an improvement 3 weeks into using the product.

ETA: I also get mines from vitamin shoppe - the Longview brand.

Last edited:

Urban

I've used it for years and only ever use it alone. I'm not a fan of putting it on my hair, so I just use it on my scalp and body. Might try the JBCO mix though.