Best deep conditioners for relaxed heads

Barbie83

ORS Replenishing Conditioner is a SUPER detangler as well. You may have to turn around in the shower to make sure your hair isn't in the tub(true testimonial from my sister).

NTM Daily Deep Conditioner and CON conditioners work well for me also.

So true!! :lachen:

Hair feels so silky you think it might slide off your head

nymane

AO Conditioners (love them)
Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol (old formula-great detangler)
Lekair Cholesterol (love it)

caramelma

You wont need anything else once you try ORS Replenishing Conditioner mixed with a little Roux Porosity Control Conditioner You will love it

sqzbly1908

AO HSR and GPB for dry hair dc'ing
Tigi Dumb Blonde Reconstructor
Aphogee 2 Minute
(Old) Nexxus Humectress (found some in Big Lot's this week)
Kenra MC
Nexxus Emergencee

sheedahp

Ive recently started using Mizani Moisturfuse and have noticed a BIG difference in my hair after a couple of uses, Im loving it so much. I used to think I needed protien, protien, protien but since focusing more on moisture Im having less breakage. Ive recently bought Keracare Intensive Restorative Masque, havent used it yet but heard great things about it so I will keep you posted.

gorgeoushair

Motions CPR Conditioning Treatment
Profectiv Growth Masque
Silk Elements Megasilk Cholesterol
Dark n Lovely Cholesterol
GVP Conditioning Balm

Stella B.

Cholesterol is always my base for deep conditioning. On occasion, I'll add oils like coconut, or essential fatty oils to it. Or I might add a lightweight creamy conditioner to it like keracare or Giovani 50/50, if my hair needs it. I try to switch up what I add to the cholesterol, but always use it as a base for mixing and then go under the heating cap for 20-30 minutes.

gymfreak336

Honestly i truly havent found anything worth spending my money on. Something that truly deep conditions. Keracare Humecto was ok for a while but everythinh has some type of mineral oil. Ladies chime in and let me know what has worked for you!

Well Humecto isn't a deep conditioner.

Some I like

Affirm 5n1
Dudleys Hair Rebuilder
Redken rescue force
Tigi dumb blond reconstructor
Hayashi reconstructor
ORS mayo and olive oil replenishing pack

WaistLengthDreams

When I need moisture: NTM Deep Recovery Mask for 30 minutes w/ heat.
When I need protein: ORS Hair Mayo for 30 minutes w/ heat.
When I've got a lot of breakage: Aphogee Two Step Treatment followed by NTM Deep Recovery Mask

gymfreak336

It's not? i thought a conditioner was as long as it had a quaternary ion & some glycerin in it.

No. Not according to Syed, the man who made it.

His words and I quote "The KeraCare Humecto is not a deep penetrating moisturization product; it should be be used more as a frequent-use conditioning product.

For deep penetration, we recommend KC Intensive Restorative Masque and/or the KC Super Reconstructor for damaged hair."

I think some ingredients can be good indicators as to what could be a deep conditioner but it isn't that simple all of the time.

Last edited:

poookie

His words and I quote "The KeraCare Humecto is not a deep penetrating moisturization product; it should be be used more as a frequent-use conditioning product.

For deep penetration, we recommend KC Intensive Restorative Masque and/or the KC Super Reconstructor for damaged hair."

I think some ingredients can be good indicators as to what could be a deep conditioner but it isn't that simple all of the time.

ahh, ok, thanks for the clarification! :yep:

Kellum

J/A/S/O/N Henna High Lights Conditioner
J/A/S/O/N Sea Kelp Moisturizing Conditioner
Back to Basics Honey Hydrating Conditioner

LaidBak

Well, not exactly...

At the time of that quote (June 2009) the Humecto in the bottle was different from the one in the tub. See Dr. Syed confirming that here in a July 21, 2009 comment posting: http://www.dralisyed.com/2009/02/time-for-change-keracare-humec.html

The Keracare Humecto in the tub is listed on their website as a deep penetrating moisturizing product:http://www.avlon.com/humecto1.html
"Features KeraCare Humecto Creme Conditioner helps correct and prevent moisture loss due to exposure to chemicals and thermal styling appliances.
Penetrates deep within the hairshaft to hydrate and humectify hair.
• Decreases interfiber friction between hair strands to prevent hair breakage.
• Improves the surface porosity of hair resulting in a softer hair texture.

Benefits
Superior moisturizing results to help prevent dull, brittle, breaking hair and split ends.

• Superior detangling for easy wet and dry combing.
• Hair becomes more manageable.
• Protects hair from drying effects of thermal appliances.
• Adds exceptional body and shine.
• Eliminates static charge. "

Keracare has now eliminated the difference in formulas and the one in the bottle is now the same creamy deep conditioner you get when you buy the tub. Quoting Dr. Syed again, "In accordance with the times, Avlon has decided to change the 8 fl. oz and 16 fl. oz formulas to now feature the same thicker and richer formula found in the 5 lbs buckets."

Additionally, the Restorative Masque he referred to is not even listed on the Avlon Keracare website anymore. http://www.avlon.com/product1.html
Maybe its discontinued?

So, if the OP is looking for a proper deep conditioner for relaxed hair she CAN consider Humecto as an option.

Artemis

Well, not exactly...

At the time of that quote (June 2009) the Humecto in the bottle was different from the one in the tub. See Dr. Syed confirming that here in a July 21, 2009 comment posting: http://www.dralisyed.com/2009/02/time-for-change-keracare-humec.html

The Keracare Humecto in the tub is listed on their website as a deep penetrating moisturizing product:http://www.avlon.com/humecto1.html
"Features KeraCare Humecto Creme Conditioner helps correct and prevent moisture loss due to exposure to chemicals and thermal styling appliances.
Penetrates deep within the hairshaft to hydrate and humectify hair.
• Decreases interfiber friction between hair strands to prevent hair breakage.
• Improves the surface porosity of hair resulting in a softer hair texture.

Benefits
Superior moisturizing results to help prevent dull, brittle, breaking hair and split ends.

• Superior detangling for easy wet and dry combing.
• Hair becomes more manageable.
• Protects hair from drying effects of thermal appliances.
• Adds exceptional body and shine.
• Eliminates static charge. "

Hi everyone, I was recently asked to come back and clarify this discussion.

The quotes in this post are endorsing that Humecto is actually not a deep conditioning treatment, but that this product is actually solely a moisturizing conditioner. There are many threads in the archives of this board [by Supergirl and others] that explains that a real deep conditioner in a real context contains proteins and does more than simply provide moisture to the hair due to hydrolized ingredients and molecular weight formulations. Humecto is a frequent-use conditioner that helps prevent moisture loss, but is not something you want to rely on for your dc. It is deep penetrating so that the moisture will last longer in between washes as compared to other products on the market, but not as moisturizing as a deep conditioning treatment. It's tricky because most of us don't need deep conditioners as much as you think any way (yes, I am referring that other thread by that newbie that got her opinions handed to her...so sad).

Affirm 5n1 is a deep conditioning treatment http://www.avlon.com/5in1.html:
Affirm 5 in 1 Reconstructor (STEP 3) is a unique blend of micro and macrofibrous conditioners that is applied immediately after rinsing the relaxer from the hair and before the Normalizing Shampoo. • While substantive conditioners are deposited well within the hair fiber, the hair is restored to its normal pH of the hair. (NOTE: Deep conditioning is still possible at this time because the upper mantle of the hair is still alkaline--approximate pH of 10.0--and the cuticles remain partially open). • For use on damaged, fine or limp hair. Also recommended as a deep penetrating moisturizing conditioner for regular salon reconstructive treatment services.
• Available in Gallon, 32 fl. oz. (pictured) and 16 fl. oz. sizes.
Benefits
• Re-aligns, seals and smooths cuticles.
• Minimizes porosity and restores hair to normal pH.
• Electronically repairs damaged areas within and along hairshaft by attachingto negatively charged (damaged) areas.
• Minimizes breakage and shedding.
• Minimizes porosity and smooths cuticles.
• Detangles hair.
• Imparts body and volume to fine, limp hair while adding shine.

In addition, so are Positive Link and Fiberguard Sustenance.

http://www.avlon.com/positivelink.html
Affirm Positive Link Conditioner (STEP 3) is a post chemical pH normalizer that restores hair to its proper pH of 4.5-5.5 after relaxer application. (NOTE: After relaxer is rinsed, the hair is still alkaline (pH 10) and cuticles remain partially open. Therby allowing the most effective penetration of micro and macro-conditioners). • For use on Medium to Coarse Hair. • Also recommended as a deep penetrating moisturizing conditioner for regular salon conditioner services. • Available in 32 oz. (pictured) and 16 oz. sizes.
Benefits
• Restores hair to its proper pH state.
• Re-aligns, firms and seals cuticles to enhance shine.
• Detangles, moisturizes and softens hair.
• Prevents alkali and oxidation damage.

http://www.avlon.com/fgsustenance.html
Features
Sustenance® Fortifying Treatment (Step 3)
is an advanced, high performance conditioner that contains Fiber Strengthening Complex (FSC), a revolutionary conditioning complex exclusive to Avlon that penetrates deep within the hair shaft while cuticles are open immediately after rinsing of the relaxer. • Lipid Replenishing Molecules (LRMs), enter the hair fiber to replace natural shine properties depleted by chemical processing. • Special polymers realign, seal and smooth hair cuticles as it normalizes hair. • Micro-Molecular proteins and humectants penetrate deep within the hair shaft to help repair fiber damage while moisturizing and fortifying hair fiber.
• Works to repair and strengthen damaged hair fibers. • Recommended for use as an Intensive Conditioning Treatment
Benefits
• Strengthens newly relaxed hair while replenishing lost moisture
• Helps hair resist breakage and shedding.
• Minimizes surface porosity.
• Adds fullness and body to hair.
• Detangles hair easily for wet and dry combing.
• Leaves hair silky and shiny.

Note that none of these products have "hardcore" proteins, but do have some protein in them. And more than Humecto.

Artemis

Furthermore, the way that Keracare Humecto works is that it prevents damage of normal to dry hair so that the integrity is maintained until one can deep conditon. If you all read the direct conversation Dr. Syed and I had on his blog, this will be easy to infer.

Artemis | May 13, 2009 6:38 AM | Reply

Thanks for this! If heat increases the benefits of the conditioning product, does one need to still deep condition the full 25-30 minutes when using heat, or does the addition of heat cut down the required time? If so, is it cut down by half?

Dr. Ali Syed replied to comment from Artemis | May 24, 2009 1:49 PM | Reply

There are three elements that can accelerate the penetration of conditioners into the cortex of hair: high pH, heat, and prolonged time.
If you combine heat and time together, you need less time to keep the conditioner on the hair. For example, when you apply the conditioner to hair after shampoo, put a plastic cap on the hair, and sit under the dryer for 15 to 16 minutes. Or without the heat, you can leave the conditioner on the hair for up to 30 minutes for deeper penetration of the conditioner into the cortex of the hair.
Please join me on the Avlon and Syntonics Facebook pages for the most current communications.

Artemis replied to comment from Dr. Ali Syed | June 1, 2009 7:04 PM | Reply

Thanks Dr. Syed for your reply. I have just joined your Facebook page!
One additional question for you regarding conditioning. In this post you stated that:
"Conditioners containing excessive amounts of proteins, such as reconstructors, should be used only on fine, limp hair or badly damaged hair. Conditioners containing softening agents, humectants and highly concentrated emollients, such as creme conditioners and moisturizers, should be used on medium to coarse hair or hair that is very dry."
Does this mean that those with fine hair should not use Keracare Humecto? I find with my fine hair that too frequent deep-penetrating moisturizing conditioner sessions do leave my hair feeling over-moisturized and limp/unmanageable. I find that my hair does benefit best from reconstructor type products. So what is my best option in this case, in terms of regular maintenance and damage prevention?
Thanks again for the info.

Dr. Ali Syed replied to comment from Artemis | June 12, 2009 1:08 AM | Reply

You mentioned that your hair is fine and it becomes limp/unmanageable upon over- moisturization. The KeraCare Humecto is not a deep penetrating moisturization product; it should be be used more as a frequent-use conditioning product.
For deep penetration, we recommend KC Intensive Restorative Masque and/or the KC Super Reconstructor for damaged hair.
It is still good to use the KC Humecto Cream Conditioner as a regular conditioner for your fine hair, and if your hair is damaged, then you can use KC Intensive Restorative Masque every 2 to 4 weeks.
Let me know if you need more information.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh, I was also requested to submit a direct link to an article he wrote on Hair Damage and its causes, treatment and prevention. It includes a pdf of the full article in which a chart of all the different types of hair damage are listed along with the recommended prescription for treatment. You must save the document to see it (not easily visible on the blog itself). Hope someone finds this hidden gem useful.

http://www.dralisyed.com/2008/05/hair-damage-causes-prevention.html

Some key points:
2. Deep Penetrating Conditioners
Commonly known as substantive or intensive conditioners, this category of
products penetrates the hairshaft to deposit moisturizing and/or proteinaceous substances. They typically are left on the hair 20-30 minutes for the deepest penetration, and work to repair damaged areas, moisturize, detangle and eliminate static charge.

3. Reconstructors
Reconstructors are heavy-duty conditioners designed specifically for severely damaged hair. They typically contain micro- and macro-proteins to fill in cracks and ruptured areas on and within the hairshaft. Reconstructors may also contain polymeric agents to tightly bind the structures of the hairshaft together for the purposes of fortification and combability.

4. Moisturizers

Moisturizing Conditioners hydrate dry brittle hair and correct moisture
imbalances.
I take #2 to mean the previous products I mentioned, in addition to the Intensive masque, #3 to mean the KC Super Reconstructor, and #4 to be the Humecto.

Take care and Happy New Year.

A.

JJamiah

I have a few:
Pantene Relaxed and Natural Mask (brown jar)
Pantene Time Renewal Replenishing Mask (white jar)
Silk Elements MegaSilk Moisturizing Treatment
Silk Elements MegaSilk Olive Moisturizing Treatment
Silk Elements MegaSilk Intense Conditioning Mayonnaise

I'm pushing silk elements megasilk moisturizing conditioner everywhere i can!!! its really a great DC and it works wonders, plus its on sale at sallys for 7.99

I am Definitely Pushing the SILK ELEMENTS MEGASILK moiturizing conditioner as well the creme or green tub works great for me. It is one of my staples and I LOVE IT! I buy it for full or sale price because it is worth it. Yet the next time they have a sale I am jumping on about 5 tubs for stock purpose.

I also love Aphogee 2 minute for my weekly protein. These two conditioners keep my hair in TIP TOP SHAPE! :lick:

poookie

Lustrasilk Cholesterol with Aloe Vera. Yo. Oh my goodness. This stuff turned my hair into pure butter. it made my relaxed hairs feel soft and moisturized (which is amazing, because i'm going through extreme porosity issues), and my new growth very soft as well. and the 16 oz jar was only like $4.

i don't like how it has parabens, but this will be my staple deep conditioner from now until the end of time. i love the epxensive conditioners (like aveda and redken), but this one is definitely a keeper considering the price point.

chelleypie810

Ion effective care treatment
Ion extreme nurturing moisture
Ion reconstructor

All amazing products at sally's and they're cheap too.

chelleypie810

Ion really is the bidness...great products for the price. I have the big bottle of the effective care treatment.

I'm torn. I dunno if I want to buy the huge size reconstructor or the huge effective care treatment. That reconstructor was so good in my hair though.

gymfreak336

I'm torn. I dunno if I want to buy the huge size reconstructor or the huge effective care treatment. That reconstructor was so good in my hair though.

Are any of them on sale? I know sometimes they will have them on sale and that is when I would get them if you like them both. You know it would last you a good minute. I am going to wait to see if they get put on sale any time soon.