How do you learn to do your own sew-in weave?

msdeevee

without buying a video that does not show in detail (like Breslin a waste) .

Did you learn on your own? Are there any tutoials in Fotkis here?

Thanx for any answers.

Dee

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
it's actually not that hard. the main thing is learning to cornrow. try blackhairmedia.com they have a few Fotki tutorials there...

glamazon386

Weaveitup has a tutorial in her fotki. I learned from going to the salon so much. I saw how they did my hair and I checked it out when I was taking my weaves down. It's really not a complicated thing. Also check out the Weave forum over at BHM. They have the most info.

motherx2esq

I learned to do them by getting mine do for so many years and watching people do them. Thing is I cannot braid so I get my sister to braid then it's pretty much just sewing and making sure you stick to the pattern and keep the hair flat. Not hard at all.

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
I also have pics in my Fotki of sew-ins, I'm a member of BHM too!:grin: Check out the "Protective Styles" folder. It shows the basic steps in a sew in including the braid pattern that I normally use, plus the way that I sew in tracks. I also have a "net weave" album as well, it shows the basics step-by-step of sewing the net into place. If you have any questions, you can PM me!

City_girl

DON'T DO IT!!! I've always been able to style my hair and I can braid very well. I tried to put in my own weave about two months ago because my stylinst is very pricey and I'm cheap. It was the worst experience ever!! It took me an entire day (I mean 9AM to 2AM) and I was exhasted. While it looked okay by the time I was finished (with the help of a headband) it was tacky. Additionally, my stylist always cuts my hair in layers and all I could do was razor the edges to make it look more natural. I swore then and there that I would never do it again.

I'm sure that there are people out there that can do their own and it looks fine. But I just wanted to let you know that there is a dark side too :ohwell:.

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
DON'T DO IT!!! I've always been able to style my hair and I can braid very well. I tried to put in my own weave about two months ago because my stylinst is very pricey and I'm cheap. It was the worst experience ever!! It took me an entire day (I mean 9AM to 2AM) and I was exhasted. While it looked okay by the time I was finished (with the help of a headband) it was tacky. Additionally, my stylist always cuts my hair in layers and all I could do was razor the edges to make it look more natural. I swore then and there that I would never do it again.

I'm sure that there are people out there that can do their own and it looks fine. But I just wanted to let you know that there is a dark side too :ohwell:.

Hmm...that's odd. I've always done my own weaves, they always look natural:ohwell:. What exactly was the problem, was it too bulky? Maybe you added too much hair. Also, if you used BSS hair, the wefts tend to be thick, I always split my wefts in half. This way, they lay SUPER FLAT. I wouldn't say don't do it, the results won't be professional-looking the first time. That's just the way it is. I'm all for self-weaves, it saves alot of money in the long run. Plus, you tend to be way more gentle w/ your own hair. I went from neck length to bra-strap and I attribute most of this to weaves.

loved

I purchased the hair weave magazines in the grocery store/wal mart and followed the braid/sew pattern for the style I liked.

motherx2esq

Hmm...that's odd. I've always done my own weaves, they always look natural:ohwell:. What exactly was the problem, was it too bulky? Maybe you added too much hair. Also, if you used BSS hair, the wefts tend to be thick, I always split my wefts in half. This way, they lay SUPER FLAT. I wouldn't say don't do it, the results won't be professional-looking the first time. That's just the way it is. I'm all for self-weaves, it saves alot of money in the long run. Plus, you tend to be way more gentle w/ your own hair. I went from neck length to bra-strap and I attribute most of this to weaves.

I've been doing my own since high school (a looooong time ago lol) and I have never had a problem. I have always split the track. lol