Do you use REGULAR scissors to trim/cut ur hair or professional shears??

Tool for cutting hair

• scissors

Votes: 23 13.4%
  • shears

Votes: 149 86.6%

• Total voters

pistachio

Well, what do you guys use? I used regular ones, but I'm curious to knjow if i need to invest in quality ones, or is thereeven any difference???

pisceschica

Yes there is a difference. There are different kind of scissors for different things. If you use scissors used for cutting paper eyebrows etc you aren't helping your hair. You need to use ones specifically for hair.

You're better off using SHEARS made to cut hair. They have to be nice and sharp so that you don't damage your hair. Just think about when you cut meat or anything will dull blades you have to naw, naw, and shread away at the meat. Where as when you use shears that are sharp and made to cut hair you can make a nice clean cut and not have to naw.

Dont worry you don't have to spend a fortune on shears. Since you're a non-professional you can get away with a $20-$40 pair of shears from sallys. Just make sure that you sharpen then whenever needed and dont' drop them because that can damage your shears.

I hope that helps.

edited to add: Most non professionals refer to them as scissors but most professionals use the term shears.

glamazon386

I read that if you use regular scissors they're dull and could cause split ends. I'd say get a pair of sheers. Maybe not an expensive pair but a decent pair.

NuMe2004

bmoreflyygirl said:
I read that if you use regular scissors they're dull and could cause split ends. I'd say get a pair of sheers. Maybe not an expensive pair but a decent pair.

I totally agree.

pistachio

Thanx for the replies. I'll probably buy some in the fall b/c I dont plan on trimming until Nov. or even dec. I used the terms "scissors" and "shears" so that people know I'm talking about one pair for paper, and one pair actually made for hair.

STLCoverGirl

I use regular scissors for my trims, I know I shouldn't but I keep forgetting to buy sheers. I have noticed that I get split ends all the time, and I think my scissors are the culprit.

Healthb4Length

Please don't get cheapie shears either. They are just as bad as regular scissors, I learned the hard way. Fuzzy, split ends 3 weeks after I trimmed. I was upset, the next time around I got quality shears ($18) and I have not had that problem since.

Chromia

When I decided to trim my own hair I went to Sally Beauty and bought Arius Eickert shears.

bablou00

I use shears and oil when I dust my ends. I read that somwhere that its good to put oil on the ends when you trim.

Nice & Wavy

bablou00 said:
I use shears and oil when I dust my ends. I read that somwhere that its good to put oil on the ends when you trim.

That's interesting...I didn't know that. I'll try that next time and see the difference.

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
I use the .99 shears from the BSS that sit up in the plastic jar on the counter. Don't know if that would be considered "professional" or not, but they're for hair cutting, and they really work :).

neonbright

Don't use regular scissors to trim, they will give you split ends, I have done this in the past many years ago. I learned my lession and got real shears from Sallys, not real cheap but not expensive and I use them to do my baby girls big chops about 2 months ago...

PrettyBlackHair

I got mine from wal mart for like $10.....are mine bad???:perplexed I'm scared now....does the scissors really give you that much split ends even if you take care of your hair as much as we do?!?!?

clmacky

I just bought my first pair of pro shears today ($30CAD). The company provides free sharpening (don't know if it's for life). Can't wait to start trimming!

JustKiya

Shears. Only shears. ONLY used for my hair. Nearly took DH's head off when I caught him using MY shears for cutting COUPONS, and I have NO intention of trimming my hair anytime soon.

Cutting hair with blunt scissors results in a cut with a long, jagged edge, at which the cuticle scales will be especially vulnerable to further damage. This is why stylists use good-quality steel scissors, which are very sharp indeed and cut cleanly. It is even possible to tell whether a stylist chose to use scissors or a razor by looking at the record of the hair: razor cutting produces long, tapering sections of cuticle which weather quickly, and even peel back.

From the World Of Hair reference pages.....

Last edited:

HoneyDew

Only high quality shears here. And I get them professionally sharpened. I have only had to do that once and it was SO worth it! These babies are going to last years!

crazydaze911

I got mine from wal mart for like $10.....are mine bad???:perplexed I'm scared now....does the scissors really give you that much split ends even if you take care of your hair as much as we do?!?!?

ditto. mine are conair brand - cvs for $10. is that too cheap? should i get rid of them??????? opinions please..

HoneyDew

Ladies, I don't think you should worry about the price itself.

I do know that my more expensive ones last longer, but I have used less expensive shears and they worked just as well. They just did not last as long and did not have as much precision.

With the professional shears I have, I MUST be careful or I will cut myself or too much hair!

lalla

Professionals shears. If you use regular scissors you'll get loads of split ends.
I trimmed my hair six times last year and I still have split ends because of that mistake.
Never again.

lollyoo

I usually use regular scissor, split ends is always an issue. I think wash and gos and the resultant knots from the style is the culprit, but something kept telling me my scissors may be a contributor as well.

When purchasing my FHI runway, the stockist had salon shears so I invested in a good german steel blade type, cost me almost £30, I havent used it yet. Will probably be giving it a try sometime around April - June.

Bmack

I use regular, but my sister is a stylist and she just cut my hair with her scissors and my ends were neater- the cut is more precise. Its hard to explain but professional imo are better.

Angel of the North

I just bought a Tweezerman shears

They do shears as well? I love their tweezers, do they offer the lifetime sharpening on them too? TIA

I Have only just started trying this dusting thing, when I bought A clipper set they came with a pair of what I would call cheap shears, I used them to dust the other day and they were fine but I would like to invest in a decent pair for my hair. I'm also thinking about investing that split ender gadget, (I've just been looking at some tutorials on youtube) I'm affraid that dusting my ends myself will result in uneven hair/change the shape that my hair grows in.

nymane

They do shears as well? I love their tweezers, do they offer the lifetime sharpening on them too? TIA

I Have only just started trying this dusting thing, when I bought A clipper set they came with a pair of what I would call cheap shears, I used them to dust the other day and they were fine but I would like to invest in a decent pair for my hair. I'm also thinking about investing that split ender gadget, (I've just been looking at some tutorials on youtube) I'm affraid that dusting my ends myself will result in uneven hair/change the shape that my hair grows in.

Yep lifetime warranty & lifetime free sharpening...it works well, I bought the Tweezerman Spirit 2000 Styling Shears from amazon.