Ends Are Freshly Trimmed & Perfect. What now?

ajw827

Hi Ladies! 4a Relaxed here.

I've always had a problem with split ends, but avoided getting trims because I didn't want my hairdresser to chop off the same length that my hair had basically grown.

But I went ahead and had a big chop of three inches off. Now my ends are fresh and perfect. What advice to you have for keeping them from splitting as much as I can?

Thanks!

Eiano

Moisturize! But don't overmoisturize, it can cause buildup which can lead to breakage. Protect the ends :)

MsLauren

Always use a product to seal especially at the ends

Protective style as much as you can

Limit heat usage

Put on a satin/silk bonnet at night

HTH!

bebezazueta

Dust your ends monthly to prevent big trims in the future.

Seal your ends with something heavy if you are going to bun it.

No heat regimen will help too. Try air drying.

ajw827

Thanks everyone. I have to look into sealing my ends, what the best products are, etc. and get on it!

greenandchic

ajw827 In terms of sealing my ends, it really depends how how I'm wearing my hair and the season/weather. Products I use range from lighter oil blends (jojoba, sweet almond, apricot kernel, grape seed), heavier oils blends (castor, olive, coconut) or balms and butters - either purchased or homemade. For me what I use changes weekly or every time I wash/cowash (which is about every 3-4 days) depending on what I feel my hair needs at the moment. You just have to experiment and see what works best.

I am natural so that may make a different...

sckri23

Be careful with salons my last salon experiences was a mixture of hooded dryer, blow dryer and flat iron ie. TOO MUCH HEAT!!! Which resulted in breakage and always needing trims every visit.

*~SCKRI23~* via LHCF app

NuBraveHeart

i'm actually about to do a good trim today. i'm natural, but i plan to straighten today to get a good trim done. i've been noticing that my ends are getting a bit thin on my twists, which is a clear sign that i have not been sealing and protecting like i should (apart from the frequent splits and single strand knots i've been seeing). so back to what was working.

i'm going to go ahead and call it a set back. i stopped protective styling for the last year (i know, shame, shame, shame). i've just been twisting each night and rocking twist outs every day. a weave or two thrown in there, and i haven't been moisturizing with a good leave in and sealing with shea butter and coconut oil. but after my trim today, back to business.

so, moisturize and seal like everyone has already said. it works when you're consistent.

Mische

In the last 3 weeks I've snipped 1 1/2-2" of hair and my ends feel awesome. I plan on preserving my new ends with airdrying, flexirods on dry hair to smooth ends, NO braidouts (inevitable tangles near the end that usually I don't mind but I'm going on a braidout diet), moisturizing and sealing every night and finger detangling daily to release shed hairs. I might even throw in a couple buns and I'm not a bunner.

Honey Bee

Mische, I have to cut a similar amount for similar reasons and I'm so sad. I'm going from bsb back to barely apl. Damn twist outs. My plan is to go back to my beloved flexis and, dont stone me, flat iron at least once a month to check my ends and dust. I dont know what else to do.

Mische

Honey Bee No stones here! I feel like cutting gradually helped me to get used to the shorter length. You'd think as hair gets longer you'd find it easier to cut, but I felt like I'd be going "backwards." You won't regret it though, I feel like my hair detangles SO much easier now.

P.S. The curls in your avatar are ridiculous! Is that a rollerset? I can't do those yet lol

Honey Bee

Honey Bee No stones here! I feel like cutting gradually helped me to get used to the shorter length. You'd think as hair gets longer you'd find it easier to cut, but I felt like I'd be going "backwards." You won't regret it though, I feel like my hair detangles SO much easier now.

P.S. The curls in your avatar are ridiculous! Is that a rollerset? I can't do those yet lol
Mische, I know, I love freshly cut ends. My problem is having to do it myself because I dont have a trusted stylist. I spent most of the past week on hairfinder.com trynna figure out how to do it properly cuz :look: for the past few years I've just been randomly clipping off offensive bits, lol.

Oh, thanks re: the curls. That's an air-dried flexi set (done on totally dry then re-dampened hair) with the purple ones, 3/4", I believe. It's my favorite protective style. Sleeping with the curls pineappled on my head, I can get it to last3-4 days, sometimes 5 if I wear it up. :yep:

Lymegreen

I would add:

Make sure you are using a bone comb or a seamless wide tooth comb. You'd be surprised how much damage is caused my combing alone especially if your hair is 10+ inches.