Do you wash your hair when u have a cold

simsim1980

I was just wondering, because it's been 5 days and my hair feels very dirty. I am much better but I dont want to take a risk.

MissM

I hope you are not going by some old wives tale about not washing your hair when you have a cold.....or am I confusing this with don't go outside with a wet head or you'll catch a cold (as though there are cold viruses just lurking outside your door waiting for you to step outside)? If you feel up to it do it, what would be the harm?

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
I found this article about colds. I thought it was quite interesting.

Common cold
Author/s: Tish Davidson

Definition
The common cold is a viral infection of the upper respiratory system, including the nose, throat, sinuses, eustachian tubes, trachea, larynx, and bronchial tubes. Although over 200 different viruses can cause a cold, 30-50% are caused by a group known as rhinoviruses. Almost all colds clear up in less than two weeks without complications.

Description
Colds, sometimes called rhinovirus or coronavirus infections, are the most common illness to strike any part of the body. It is estimated that the average person has more than 50 colds during a lifetime. Anyone can get a cold, although pre-school and grade school children catch them more frequently than adolescents and adults. Repeated exposure to viruses causing colds creates partial immunity.

Although most colds resolve on their own without complications, they are a leading cause of visits to the doctor and of time lost from work and school. Treating symptoms of the common cold has given rise to a multi-million dollar industry in over-the-counter medications.

Cold season in the United States begins in early autumn and extends through early spring. Although it is not true that getting wet or being in a draft causes a cold (a person has to come in contact with the virus to catch a cold), certain conditions may lead to increased susceptibility. These include:

Fatigue and overwork
Emotional stress
Poor nutrition
Smoking
Living or working in crowded conditions.
Colds make the upper respiratory system less resistant to bacterial infection. Secondary bacterial infection may lead to middle ear infection, bronchitis, pneumonia, sinus infection, or strep throat. People with chronic lung disease, asthma, diabetes, or a weakened immune system are more likely to develop these complications.

Causes & symptoms
Colds are caused by more than 200 different viruses. The most common groups are rhinoviruses and coronaviruses. Different groups of viruses are more infectious at different seasons of the year, but knowing the exact virus causing the cold is not important in treatment.

People with colds are contagious during the first two to four days of the infection. Colds pass from person to person in several ways. When an infected person coughs, sneezes, or speaks, tiny fluid droplets containing the virus are expelled. If these are breathed in by other people, the virus may establish itself in their noses and airways.

Colds may also be passed through direct contact. If a person with a cold touches his runny nose or watery eyes, then shakes hands with another person some of the virus is transferred to the uninfected person. If that person then touches his mouth, nose, or eyes, the virus is transferred to an environment where it can reproduce and cause a cold.

Finally, cold viruses can be spread through inanimate objects (door knobs, telephones, toys) that become contaminated with the virus. This is a common method of transmission in child care centers. If a child with a cold touches his runny nose, then plays with a toy, some of the virus may be transferred to the toy. When another child plays with the toy a short time later, he may pick up some of the virus on his hands. The second child then touches his contaminated hands to his eyes, nose, or mouth and transfers some of the cold virus to himself.

Lindy

I usually try to wait until my nose isn't all stuffed up. For some reason I feel that if I wash my hair before then, it will prolong my cold...
?????

soslychic

I can barely stand anyone to touch my face or get within 20 feet of me when I have a cold, so I don't wash my hair in the sink where I would have to bend my head over...the shower is fine though.

ineedmoney

ys i do. for some reason it makes me feel so much better to be clean when i'm sick so i'll be more likely to wash my hair then. to try to section it off though so it will air dry quicker

simsim1980

thanks everyone for your reply. My mother was laugthing at me cause I have not wash my hair in five days. she just said something right now about me washing it. I feel much better and when my face feels dirty that's a sign that it's way pass time. Thanks again