Self relaxers, how do you relax the back of your head?

ShiShiPooPoo

I am seriously thinking about giving stylists the axe. I feel that I can do everything they can do except for relax. When my hair was short, I just slapped it in that bad boy but now that my hair is significantly longer, I know I will have issues with relaxing the back crown and back of my hair. I need some tips to do this. If I can figure it out and be successful, I shall never see a stylist again! (said like Scarlett O'Hara). Please help.

shunta

Girl, Im in the same exact boat as you. Im gonna keep an eye on this thread and eagerly await responses. I relaxed with no problem when my hair was really short, but now Im too afraid because I dont want a setback, either. I just dont know what to do.:perplexed

sugarose

I part my hair across in 1" sections and apply the relaxer to my newgrowth with the brush. If you are not sure where your new growth ends just feel with your finger first.
I also use 2 mirrors and look sometimes.
If you do it a couple of times with conditioner it will prepare you for the real touch-up very well. It gets easier everytime you do it, and soon you will not have to feel or use two mirrors.

tschizum

sugarose said:
I part my hair across in 1" sections and apply the relaxer to my newgrowth with the brush. If you are not sure where your new growth ends just feel with your finger first.
I also use 2 mirrors and look sometimes.
If you do it a couple of times with conditioner it will prepare you for the real touch-up very well. It gets easier everytime you do it, and soon you will not have to feel or use two mirrors.

I agree with sugarose, part you hair into sections use clips to keep the rest of you hair out of the way and feel for the new growth and apply relaxer with an applicator brush. I've been doing my own relaxer for 4+ years ( borkeness made me do it) after a while you get really good at it

Missi

Dido to everyone: with my gloves on: i just slide my fingers down my new growth and stop just below the demarcation line: i'll apply the relaxer from root til I touch my finger