I tried a new relaxer..No lye Lithium Hydroxide

gymfreak336

My day got off to a crappy start but the show must go on right:ohwell:

So I swing by the BSS because I was planning on relaxing my hair today. I picked up the Mizani regular since they didn't have the Mizani mild. I was about to check out and go but I stopped to look at some no mix no lye relaxers.

I have been researching them for a while now and basically the no mix no-lye relaxers are made with lithium hydroxide. Gentle treatment, cream of nature, revlon, Cantu, Hawaiian silky, they all make one.
In terms of professional brands, Vitale Pro has a lithium hydroxide relaxer that I wanted to try as does Epitome.

Lithium Hydroxide give the straightening of sodium hydroxide but it isn't as hard on the scalp. It also doesn't give you the same degree of mineral residue like Calcium hydroxide does. According to Vitale pro
"Lithium hydroxide is the most reactive (speed of penetration) and has the lowest molecular weight as compared to the other chemicals. Molecular weight is also related to the size of the molecule. The small size of the lithium hydroxide molecule means that it penetrates hair the easiest. The advantage is that a smaller quantity at a lower pH is needed to react efficiently with the hair. A low pH offers a low irritation/no burning effect, however the higher reactivity (penetration) nature of lithium means that it should not be used on hair that is over-porous such as damaged, weak or bleached hair. "

I decided to try it out because my scalp has been easily irritated lately and I didn't want to be burning easily and be underprocessed again. I choose the Hawaiian silky one.

So I based my scalp as usual with ampro base for sensitive scalp, set my timer and went to work with my sprush. I processed for a total of 15 minutes. I had to do a little corrective work today so I used more relaxer than normal but I still have enough for another touch up.

First off it doesn't stink (atleast not this formula). I also didn't get any scalp irritation. I only had one tingle and I didn't get that until I started rinsing. My felt like silk. Very smooth and soft. I also only got 3 shed hairs while rinsing. It straightens quickly and easily. I only smoothed one time. I followed with my usual relaxer steps and I am VERY VERY happy right now. I think I found something that I want to test out a little longer now. I want to go to a stylist for my next relaxer and I will probably take this relaxer with me or see if they will order the Vitale Pro Tenderheaded Relaxer which is their lithium hydroxide formula.

One of the concerns that has been raised before about lithium hydroxide relaxers is if the molecule can penetrate the scalp too much but I haven't found any research that supports that.

If you are satisfied with your relaxer then cool, I am not posting this to discourage people from using something that works but I will say that if you are one of those sensitive scalp ladies that is having problems with irritation from lye relaxers or is missing the smoothness and silky feeling that regular no lye can sometimes lack, then you might want to look into this as a possible alternative.

If I find anymore info about lithium hydroxide, I will add it here.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Thanks so much for this, gym! Lower ph, less mineral deposits, deeper penetration AND less scalp irritation??? I'm ALL over this! :yay:

Did you end up going straighter?

bbdgirl

yeah when I read this on the Vitale website I went out and bout some hawaiian silky b/c it seemed like the bet of both worlds. I chickened out and used Mizani (which I liked) but I was wondering if I would get more shine out of my hair if I backed away from the no-lye. I might have to use it next month when I do my touch up.

gymfreak336

Thanks so much for this, gym! Lower ph, less mineral deposits, deeper penetration AND less scalp irritation??? I'm ALL over this! :yay:

Yeah it is straighter. I followed with my usual relaxer steps and products so I could see any difference in the final result and my hair is very shiny but my scalp is cool calm and collected. I just peeked back at the vitale pro website and they have a 16oz size of their relaxers for stylists to try out. I want to find someone here to order that and if I get through the 16oz tub and like it, I will go ahead and have them order the big one.

gymfreak336

yeah when I read this on the Vitale website I went out and bout some hawaiian silky b/c it seemed like the bet of both worlds. I chickened out and used Mizani (which I liked) but I was wondering if I would get more shine out of my hair if I backed away from the no-lye. I might have to use it next month when I do my touch up.

I like Mizani too but this Hawaiian silky is kickin! :lol: It doesn't smell which really surprised me. I took the cap off of it at the store to try to smell it but it had that safetly seal on it so I couldn't tell. I think you would like it.

Energist

I wish I saw this post before I ordered my Creme of Nature no lye relaxer. I had been looking at Hawaiian Silky for a while too, but I chickened out and stuck with what I knew.

I'd love to see your rollerset results, when you do them next :)

morehairplease

co-signing. When I was relaxed, it seemed that no relaxer actually worked for me. They all burned my scalp and seemed to only halfway do the job.

gymfreak336

co-signing. When I was relaxed, it seemed that no relaxer actually worked for me. They all burned my scalp and seemed to only halfway do the job.

Its been a little while now since I relaxed and :happydance: I can't believe how soft my hair is. Its straight but it doesn't feel "overcooked" ya know. Its bouncing all over the place and my scalp doesn't feel tight or itchy.

Lady Esquire

HS is an oldie but a goodie!!! It was one my mom's favorites for her clients, and it was on my rotation of relaxers when I was in high school. I do not recall ever having any problems with it back then.

Gym, I love how you break down your reviews with scientific info. I love a smart sista.

Sure is a nice feeling when you find a gem, isn't it? Post pics when you get a chance.

gymfreak336

HS is an oldie but a goodie!!! It was one my mom's favorites for her clients, and it was on my rotation of relaxers when I was in high school. I do not recall ever having any problems with it back then.

Gym, I love how you break down your reviews with scientific info. I love a smart sista.

Sure is a nice feeling when you find a gem, isn't it? Post pics when you get a chance.

It does feel good. I had used the regular lye one before but this no mix no lye is the ish for me right now. You can feel the difference in my newgrowth.

loveable37

I tried a new relaxer (PROCLAIM) it made my hair dry as hell :wallbash:only becuse EVERY store i went to sold out(MOTION HERBAL)!!now tha odd:ohwell:back to MOTION HERBAL

schipperchow1

I'm glad that you had good result with your lithium hydroxide relaxer. I transitioned due to the horrible results of the Revlon no-lye, no-mix, lithium mild relaxer. My hair was never tore up, but that did it. Later, Sally's was selling them all on the clearance table. :nono:

gymfreak336

I'm glad that you had good result with your lithium hydroxide relaxer. I transitioned due to the horrible results of the Revlon no-lye, no-mix, lithium mild relaxer. My hair was never tore up, but that did it. Later, Sally's was selling them all on the clearance table. :nono:

Yikes. That sucks. I am sorry you had to go through that. Nothing is worse than a botched relaxer. I will be sure not to get that one.

AKA-Tude

WOW!

I forgot about HS- it used to be the STUFF!!!!

My hair was ALWAYS gawjess with it!

Gotta try this again-
I like the fact that it doesn't leave the calcium build-up.

Thanx, Gym!

LivingDoll

WOW!

Gotta try this again-

Thanx, Gym!

I used to use HS too...religiously. I don't know why I ever stopped. I've been using ORS Lye Regular and I don't think I'll continue.

As always, thanks Gym! :grin:

LivingDoll

My day got off to a crappy start but the show must go on right:ohwell:

So I swing by the BSS because I was planning on relaxing my hair today. I picked up the Mizani regular since they didn't have the Mizani mild. I was about to check out and go but I stopped to look at some no mix no lye relaxers.

I have been researching them for a while now and basically the no mix no-lye relaxers are made with lithium hydroxide. Gentle treatment, cream of nature, revlon, Cantu, Hawaiian silky, they all make one.
In terms of professional brands, Vitale Pro has a lithium hydroxide relaxer that I wanted to try as does Epitome.

Lithium Hydroxide give the straightening of sodium hydroxide but it isn't as hard on the scalp. It also doesn't give you the same degree of mineral residue like Calcium hydroxide does. According to Vitale pro
"Lithium hydroxide is the most reactive (speed of penetration) and has the lowest molecular weight as compared to the other chemicals. Molecular weight is also related to the size of the molecule. The small size of the lithium hydroxide molecule means that it penetrates hair the easiest. The advantage is that a smaller quantity at a lower pH is needed to react efficiently with the hair. A low pH offers a low irritation/no burning effect, however the higher reactivity (penetration) nature of lithium means that it should not be used on hair that is over-porous such as damaged, weak or bleached hair. "

I decided to try it out because my scalp has been easily irritated lately and I didn't want to be burning easily and be underprocessed again. I choose the Hawaiian silky one.

So I based my scalp as usual with ampro base for sensitive scalp, set my timer and went to work with my sprush. I processed for a total of 15 minutes. I had to do a little corrective work today so I used more relaxer than normal but I still have enough for another touch up.

First off it doesn't stink (atleast not this formula). I also didn't get any scalp irritation. I only had one tingle and I didn't get that until I started rinsing. My felt like silk. Very smooth and soft. I also only got 3 shed hairs while rinsing. It straightens quickly and easily. I only smoothed one time. I followed with my usual relaxer steps and I am VERY VERY happy right now. I think I found something that I want to test out a little longer now. I want to go to a stylist for my next relaxer and I will probably take this relaxer with me or see if they will order the Vitale Pro Tenderheaded Relaxer which is their lithium hydroxide formula.

One of the concerns that has been raised before about lithium hydroxide relaxers is if the molecule can penetrate the scalp too much but I haven't found any research that supports that.

If you are satisfied with your relaxer then cool, I am not posting this to discourage people from using something that works but I will say that if you are one of those sensitive scalp ladies that is having problems with irritation from lye relaxers or is missing the smoothness and silky feeling that regular no lye can sometimes lack, then you might want to look into this as a possible alternative.

If I find anymore info about lithium hydroxide, I will add it here.

Gym, exactly which one did you use? what color is the writing on the jar? They have lots of formulas....

gymfreak336

WOW!

Gotta try this again-

Thanx, Gym!

I am just mad it took me this long to try it. Me and Artemis had talked about lithium hydroxide relaxers before but I didn't really think about trying it until now. I am really glad I did too. Even today my hair looks feels great and my scalp is not irritated. Before the relaxer, my scalp was really irritated and itchy and now, nothing. My friend Frannie said her stylist lets clients bring their own relaxer if she doesn't have what they want so I might bring my HS to her the next time I relax.

gymfreak336

WOW!

Gotta try this again-

Thanx, Gym!

Gym, exactly which one did you use? what color is the writing on the jar? They have lots of formulas....

This is the one. I used the regular strength. It wasn't until now that I was trying to find a picture of it that I see that they have a mild one. The regular is the orange one. I will see if I can find the mild no lye here after this jar is finished.

http://www.webplusbeauty.com/a0730101.html

gymfreak336

Thanks for the detailed review, Gym! ARe you still using the same relaxer?

Yes...in a way

I got impatient last stretch and I bought a box kit because I was out of my HS. Bad Idea! :lol: It didn't break my hair or anything but it wasn't nearly as good and it jogged my memory of why I don't do traditional no lye. So last night I did a corrective with HS and my hair is much better.

Even the sodium hydroxide HS is nice. I really don't know why more people don't use it. They don't smell very strong and they are affordable. For 5.99, I get enough for two touchups. Another thing I like is that unlike alot of mild relaxers, I get perfectly texlaxed. Using mild gives me a little extra application time but it still packs enough punch to relax me properly. I too permanently color and I haven't had any problems maintaining my hair and I think part of it is due to this relaxer. If keeps your hair in great condition.

Kacie

I tried a lithium hydroxide relaxer sometime last year. My results were not good at all. The sad thing is that I stared at the periodic table for a loooong time thinking and thinking (Hmmm this mighty small and electronegative).

This relaxer affected a section of my hair that is very sensitive to chemicals. It was my fault for trying to experiment.