How long should I wait for another dye job?

tatambabyy

Today I Dyed my hair with textures and tones in bronze. I orignally was going to use honey blonde but was afraid it was too light for my skin tone. I kinda regret not using it. The bronze looks like a light brown and I was trying to go for a brownish blonde look. For some reason my hair didn't really take the color. My roots did, but the ends only lightened a bit. I have no idea why. I used bigen a while back but it was when I was relaxed and I cut all of my relaxed ends off. My hair was clean but I previously dyed my hair a while ago on dirty hair. SO how long should I wait before dying again? and when I do, can I apply it all of over or only on my roots? TIA!

LivingDol1

bumping for ya. i wouldn't be too sure about re-dying the hair. you don't want to damage your hair! i'm sure someone here knows more about working with color....

tatambabyy

thanks ladies! wow two weeks?! if it is only two weeks that would be great! Don't feel like waiting. thank you.

ceebee3

I don't know where I got this from but I was under the impression you shouldn't dye more than every 6 months? Anyhow, I dyed using Bigen in January and the roots grew out so quickly. Certain sections of my hair grow in gray now, it's easier to see the new growth but I don't want to keep dying it so I'm using rinses in between the permanent dye. My hair is jet black so it's probably easier for me. That probably didn't answer your question.:spinning: Why don't you try a rinse before dying again.

tatambabyy

thats a good idea. do you know if there are any rinses that make hair a honey blonde? I thought rinses were for red, browns, or blacks. I didn't know there were blondish rinses. thank you!

ceebee3

I'm definetly not an expert in this category, I've used black dye and rinse forever. I think there are rinses that will enhance the blond color in your hair. Sorry, I don't know any names off the top of my head. Please let me know if you find something. Good luck!

meka

Traycee on here knows a lot about coloring hair. I will see if I could bump some of her old threads for you.

pink gator

The same thing also happened to me!

I use the same brand; it's actually excellent. The reason your color didn't take is because the developer in the kit isn't strong enough...which is a good thing.

I started off with T&T Light Golden Blonde. It just lifted my color just a little, maybe 2 shades.

A month later, I used Bronze. It looked nice, but it definitely did not match the shade on the box!

Then, the next month, I used Honey Blonde. It worked! That kit also includes a powder booster that really strips the strand and deposited the color a bit TOO well! LOL!

Once it oxidized and settled a couple weeks later, it was gorgeous!

I studied Tracey's Bootcamp (it's a sticky thread) and followed it, since I'm relaxed, and I have had no problem with breakage whatsover and I have lots of moisture.

What works:

1) Be sure to DC at least twice weekly to prep your hair for the lighter shade. Be sure to DC at least once weekly post-application.

2) Right before coloring your hair, clarify. This will strip all the coatings and buildup that prevent the color from getting in properly. Do NOT use a conditioner, leave-in or regular. Be sure to blowdry your hair after detangling.

3) Use a timer and process according to the manufacturer's instructions.

4) After shampooing, be sure to DC for at least 20 minutes WITHOUT heat.

5) After rinsing, apply Porosity Control and process about 5 minutes.

6) Rinse and style as usual.

I also color another LHCF member's natural BSL hair in various hues of bronze, blonde, and ash. She gets lots of complements, whether she wears it curly or straightened.

The stylist who cuts our hair actually offered me a job at his salon because he's so impressed with my results.

Hope that helps. I'm not subscribing to this thread; so, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me.

Galadriel

The same thing also happened to me!

I use the same brand; it's actually excellent. The reason your color didn't take is because the developer in the kit isn't strong enough...which is a good thing.

I started off with T&T Light Golden Blonde. It just lifted my color just a little, maybe 2 shades.

A month later, I used Bronze. It looked nice, but it definitely did not match the shade on the box!

Then, the next month, I used Honey Blonde. It worked! That kit also includes a powder booster that really strips the strand and deposited the color a bit TOO well! LOL!

Once it oxidized and settled a couple weeks later, it was gorgeous!

I studied Tracey's Bootcamp (it's a sticky thread) and followed it, since I'm relaxed, and I have had no problem with breakage whatsover and I have lots of moisture.

What works:

1) Be sure to DC at least twice weekly to prep your hair for the lighter shade. Be sure to DC at least once weekly post-application.

2) Right before coloring your hair, clarify. This will strip all the coatings and buildup that prevent the color from getting in properly. Do NOT use a conditioner, leave-in or regular. Be sure to blowdry your hair after detangling.

3) Use a timer and process according to the manufacturer's instructions.

4) After shampooing, be sure to DC for at least 20 minutes WITHOUT heat.

5) After rinsing, apply Porosity Control and process about 5 minutes.

6) Rinse and style as usual.

I also color another LHCF member's natural BSL hair in various hues of bronze, blonde, and ash. She gets lots of complements, whether she wears it curly or straightened.

The stylist who cuts our hair actually offered me a job at his salon because he's so impressed with my results.

Hope that helps. I'm not subscribing to this thread; so, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me.

Great advice! I want to dye again but I've been so chicken b/c I don't want any setbacks.

BlondeByDesire

I use a conditioning lightner by Ms. Clairol called a Lumize (clear) - it lightens your hair to it's fullest potential. It's a small 4oz bottle that you mix with the developer. I've used this for the past 10 years with no ill effects. Right now my roots get touched up about every 8 -12 weeks - I'm lazy. I just did not roots yesterday. I'm transitioning so I'm keeping my figures crossed with its continued success.

tatambabyy

thank you ladies! I didn't realize all the responses until now. I think I'll wait a month, maybe two to be on the safe side. thanks once again!

pink gator

OK Tata--

I was having issues with the pictures on your PM, but here's a link to my post when I first started coloring my hair. This was Clairol Textures & Tones Lightest Brown (which looked NOTHING like the model's hair on the box! LOL!

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=303929&highlight=clairol+textures+tones

Here's my current color, Honey Blonde, with my natural dark brown hair underneath. Before and after cut...and excuse the massive pileup of bandanas on my bathroom door! LOL!

Attachments

• ATT101769.jpg
    ATT101769.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 34
  • ATT65468.jpg
    ATT65468.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 36

chebaby

i want to dye my hair but im scared. this past sunday i did with natural instincs and you can barely see the color. and when i was finished most of my curls were gone and replaced with a frizzy mess. one i did protein my curls were back, but still....

pink gator

i want to dye my hair but im scared. this past sunday i did with natural instincs and you can barely see the color. and when i was finished most of my curls were gone and replaced with a frizzy mess. one i did protein my curls were back, but still....

*subscribing*

What do you really wanna do? Are you going lighter or darker?

chebaby

*subscribing*

What do you really wanna do? Are you going lighter or darker?
im going lighter. my hair is really dark brown or black and i want a reddish brown color. like a bright shiny new penny lol. if i do it it wont be until the end of may so i can make sure my hair is healthy.