Braids... How do I seal the ends?

sunnyjohn

I want to braid my hair myself. I can't figure out how to finish off the ends. How do I seal the ends??

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
i braid 2in past my ends then burn w/ lighter

or they sell braid sealers electric or stovetop versions

easiest to use the lighter in my opinion as long as your hair is out of the way and the ceiling fan is off

Iluvsmuhgrass

My bestfriend rolled her synthetic braids on rods (the ends) and dipped them into boiling hot water. She took them out, allowed them to dry a little and the ends were curly for months.

Sweet_Ambrosia

ILuvsmuhgrass said:
My bestfriend rolled her synthetic braids on rods (the ends) and dipped them into boiling hot water. She took them out, allowed them to dry a little and the ends were curly for months.

Great method, it's safter than burning the ends IMO. :up:
I do the same whenever I wear braid extensions.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
A friend who braids my hair always uses super glue becuase she doesn't know how to burn the ends :lol: . I was skeptical at first, but it worked!

MrsQueeny

I just did some and used Kanekalon (sp?). I braided almost to the ends (I left about 5 inches open) and then braided them all in sections. Then I dipped the sections in boiling water and let the dry. They have like a wavy look to them now and won't unravel. Q

sunnyjohn

Thanks ladies.

I know about the hot water and rods making the ends curly, but will that seal the ends too?

I've had my hair braided a few times, but I've never paid attention to the ends!

Keen

uofmpanther said:
A friend who braids my hair always uses super glue becuase she doesn't know how to burn the ends :lol: . I was skeptical at first, but it worked!

This is the way to go. I've been using this method for about 3 years now. You don't need much crazy glue. Just a little bit.

RabiaElaine

For me it depends on the type of hair I'm wearing.

Synthetic- I dip ends in boiling water. I stopped burning the ends because they snag my clothes and can scratch my skin. I think dipping the ends in water looks more natural. Also you can curl the hair on rods and dip them in water (like mentioned above). I love how long the curls last.

Human Hair- I use nail glue after braiding 1-2 inches past my hair, and leave the remainin extenion hair loose for styling (you can see pics of braids I did this to in my fotki). Nail glue keeps the braids from unraveling and it does't show.