Quick Question about Soft Bonnet Hair Dryers

JenJen2721

Can anyone recommend a good soft bonnet hair dryer? What is a good brand and where can I purchase it? I've been using the same hard bonnet one for years and it finally broke down. /images/graemlins/frown.gif
Thanks in advance,
Jen

Crysdon

According to Sweetcocoa, the GE soft bonnet is the best. They don't make them anymore, so you can go to ebay and put in a bid. I bought two and I absolutely love them.

sweetcocoa

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Crysdon said:
According to Sweetcocoa, the GE soft bonnet is the best. They don't make them anymore, so you can go to ebay and put in a bid. I bought two and I absolutely love them.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have 4. I also brought a brand new(never been opened) 'replacement' soft bonnet for my dryers off Ebay. It was made in 1965(they don't make them anymore).
I have one exactly like in this link....plus a pink one and 2 slightly different ones....but they are all GE. I feel the other brands don't dry as quickly..,in my opinion.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=2917233037&amp;category=11858

kisz4tj

I bought a Lazy Dazey for 29.99, I've used it twice, since I bought it this past Friday, I think it's fine.

BlkMane

I second Sweetcocoa. I also have a GE bonnet dryer (from 1960's) that
I bought off Ebay a few years back.

I bought this before I even discovered hair boards. I thought I was the
only person still using a 40 year old bonnet dryer! Then I found this
board and realized that intelligent minds think alike. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was prompted to buy an 'older' dryer off Ebay, because I had always
bought the Lady Dazey bonnet dryers (had about 3 or 4 over the years) and
they always just simply stopped working after a while.

The last one I had stopped working before I had even had it a year.

Somehow I thought to look for bonnet dryers on Ebay and discovered a whole
slew of them there.

I also bought one for my mother. She loves it because she can dry her hair while she
is reading or watching TV in bed.

If you want a dryer that gets really hot and lasts a LONG time get a vintage GE. If you don't mind having a dryer that might break down unexpectedly, get a Lady Dazey. (By the way, the Lady Dazey
bonnet is also tear-prone. Not good quality at all.

The GE in the link in Sweetcocoa's post looks like it is almost the
same model I have. The GE has different settings: Cool, Low, Medium, High.

Some dryers on Ebay (vintage, but not GE) don't have as many settings (only Low/High),
so make sure you know what you are buying.

daviine

That's my problem with the Lady Dazey...I had to get the bonnet replaced once already and now the tubing part is messed up. I want to get a soft bonnet hiar dryer for my sister before she leaves but I guess based on these posts I better take my a$$ to Ebay and have it shipped to her. While I get myself a new one too!

serena

I have a Hot Tools soft bonnet dryer. It works very well, but I hope I won't have to replace the bonnet any time too soon. I haven't had it very long - only since January. Hot Tools and Lazy Dazey have the same manufacturer, right? I hope the Hot Tools bonnet is sturdier.

serena

It takes about an hour and a half, using the purple rollers, which is the same time as with my Lady Dazey dome dryer. The soft bonnet dryer is much more comfortable to use, though. At first I had a problem with uneven drying: the top and front used to be still damp after the rest of my hair was dry. I figured out a way around this: instead of attaching the bonnet with the hose at the nape of your neck, put on the bonnet with the hose just above your ear, and you'll get better results. If you find the back is still a little damp, then just readjust the hose's position for the final ten minutes or so of drying. Or, you can have the hose at the back for half your drying time, then switch it to the front for the second half, or wherever is best for you.

Now that I've figured this out, I want to give my 2.5 inch red rollers (they're a lot larger than the purple) a second try. I tried them once before, but the bonnet was so crowded with my head full of them that the air couldn't circulate properly with the hose at my nape, and the top and front of my hair didn't dry. Hopefully, that will cut my drying time down even more when I'm in a hurry.

sweetcocoa,

Can you tell me if this soft bonnet accommodates large rollars? e.g grey ones or even a size up? I'd like to get one if it had a big enough size for these.

sweetcocoa

BlkMane said:
Some dryers on Ebay (vintage, but not GE) don't have as many settings (only Low/High),
so make sure you know what you are buying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitley! I brought 2(one was by Schick and the other was by Universal...) niether one of them had the heat or the power(if you can, get a GE that is 400 watts...alot are 375 watts and still dry fast...but the 400 watts dry even faster) of the GE's. trust me...they look good but don't dry as well at all. Also look at and ask(the seller) about condition of the bonnet. If it's really worn and you don't have a spare(I inter-change 2 bonnets bewtween the 4 dryers) you are better off waiting for one with a good bonnet. Don't worry they come up on Ebay all the time. Be patient. I also have a Lazey Dazey...I brought this before I discovered Ebay. I never use it anymore. If you want to bid on a dryer you can PM me and I'll check it out for you before you do.

sweetcocoa

brownrelaxedhair said:
sweetcocoa,

Can you tell me if this soft bonnet accommodates large rollars? e.g grey ones or even a size up? I'd like to get one if it had a big enough size for these.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 2 bonnets...one is large enough for my grey rollers. I got lucky with that one. It was actually a brand new replacement bonnet from the 6o's...stilll in the box unopened. It was made to attach to any soft bonnet dryer. This bonnet is extra large jumbo! My other bonnet fits a head full of the purple rollers comfortably. I was looking for a long time for the extra large jumbo bonnet on Ebay. I found it last month and I was determined to get it no matter how high the bid went...I waited to the last 2 minutes and bidded. I haven't been back on Ebay looking for dryers(or good bonnets...that's how I ended up with 4 dryers...looking for good extra large bonnets). /images/graemlins/laugh.gif