How do you take care of your nape?

cdixon

I'm not sure how to make it any better, I really hate it, it feels dry and I don't know what to do. How do you take better care of your nape, like how to keep it moisturized so that it grows just like the rest of my hair.

Attachments

• Another shot of my nape.jpg
    Another shot of my nape.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 38
  • My nape.jpg
    My nape.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 37

JustKiya

I'm not sure how to make it any better, I really hate it, it feels dry and I don't know what to do. How do you take better care of your nape, like how to keep it moisturized so that it grows just like the rest of my hair.

I find that my nape is drier than the rest of my hair, and since it gets wet daily in the shower, I have to put a little something - a touch of butter, or a dab of conditioner, or a smidge of leave-in on it every other day or so, in order to keep it feeling nice and soft with the rest of my hair.

If your nape is a different texture from the rest of your hair, it might need a little extra TLC....

cdixon

I just feel so ugly when my hair is up because of my nape I absolutely hate it, so I'm going to try and put extra stuff on it, maybe some coconut oil, conditioner, how do you keep it soft?

smoothie696

I had nape problems too. It use to always be extra dry and shorter than the rest of my head. I noticed that once I kept my hair mosturized, didnt tie my scraf as tight and when I wore my hair up, I made sure not to pull on my nape to hard so it wasnt strained, that my nape started to grow back healthy and long. I say the best thing to do is to get it mosturized and try not to put to much strain on your nape.

foxieroxienyc

My nape is a different texture than the rest of my hair. It's a bit coarser and drier. And I had noticed that it was about an 1.5 or so shorter than the rest of my hair. I think that pulling it back into buns and stuff contributed to that length difference especially...

What I'm NOW doing to baby it back to full health is make sure I pay special attention to it while conditioning... I also moisturize it nightly. When I wear my hair up I no longer use bands or clips, instead I use hair pins and make very sexy and soft loose buns and twists. Also the final thing I did to give it a rest was put two tracks in back there a month ago (sewn in). My hair seems to be very happy and growing. It's not rubbing on my shoulders nor clothes so I'm not worried about breakage, I only make sure I keep conditioning and moisturizing. I'm going to keep doing this for about 3-4 months just to see how it does... Heck I may go longer than that because I feel like the tracks are also protecting the rest of my hair if I choose to wear it out (nothing rubs against my clothing, it's a relief..).

prospurr4

I moisturize my nape once or twice daily to ensure it never dries out and breaks. I avoid anything that will cause stress like the elastic from bonnets, scarves tied too tight or repetitive low ponies. Also, if you are relaxed, let your nape be the last area that gets processed. Doing these things consistently have improved my nape greatly.

Kirei

I have this problem with my nape and temple area, they are a different teture and don't retain moisture. They also dry the fastes when I wash my hair.

this is what I have been doing, I take a dab of vegetable gylcerin un diluted and put a dab each on my nape and temple areas. I also use extra avacado oil in this areas. I make sure they are well misted when I spray my glycerin mix as well, I mean I soak them. I may just dampen the rest pf my hair, but I make sure those areas are soaking wet when I style my hair.

My nape got all ugly after wearing weaves and such, it is also really soft and fine, so I have to make sure I keep moisture back there at all times or it will at the root.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I had nape problems too. It use to always be extra dry and shorter than the rest of my head. I noticed that once I kept my hair mosturized, didnt tie my scraf as tight and when I wore my hair up, I made sure not to pull on my nape to hard so it wasnt strained, that my nape started to grow back healthy and long. I say the best thing to do is to get it mosturized and try not to put to much strain on your nape.

Co sign! :yep:

Another thing that has helped my nape TREMENDOUSLY is using conditioner as a leave in. My nape was so brittle, hard and suuuuper dry. I babied it, never put any strain on it, slathered it in conditioners and moisturizers and oils. To no avail. Then I started using conditioner as my leave in and my nape has made a 180, it's unbelievable what a small tweak in your reggie can do! The first day doing this, my nape was soft and smooth! And when I seal my nape with a little bit of JBCO over the conditioner? Oh. my. jebus :drunk:

cdixon

Thanks everyone for all the great replies, I think I'm going to definitely try to put conditioner on my nape with some JBCO. I think this is a great idea.

locabouthair

Another thing that has helped my nape TREMENDOUSLY is using conditioner as a leave in. My nape was so brittle, hard and suuuuper dry. I babied it, never put any strain on it, slathered it in conditioners and moisturizers and oils. To no avail. Then I started using conditioner as my leave in and my nape has made a 180, it's unbelievable what a small tweak in your reggie can do! The first day doing this, my nape was soft and smooth! And when I seal my nape with a little bit of JBCO over the conditioner? Oh. my. jebus :drunk:

I'm trying this tonight!!!:grin:

My nape broke off after the stylist decided to not wash out the relaxer properly.

So far I've been moisturizing it and sealing with JBCO, plus I've been doing scalp massages. I havent gotten it relaxed since January. It's growing a little bit.

MysteryMe

I'm going to try this also. My nape is out of control, dry and coarse.

Tylers-mom

I have a difficult nape as well. Every other night I apply oil and a leave in to the nape only...brush it through and pin it up with a bobby pin. It seems to have worked...my "kitchen" is finally getting healthier and growing. I have to give it a bit of extra attention:yep:

Simply_Kelz

Co-signing with Tiffers leave-in conditioning thing.

And doing my damp buns kinda low .. and making the ends of my nape and tucked away well .. And making sure it gets slathered with condish in the shower everyday.

LongHairDreams

This post has great advise. I've been apply moisturizer every night and sealing with castor oil. Its growing back...yay.

I guess we all are remodeling our "kitchen"...lol

FluffyRed

My nape is weird too. I rarely use shampoo on the rest of my hair, but if I don't shampoo the nape before cowashing, it get tangly and I guess the cuticle is roughed up. Lot of friction.

Once I shampoo it, it's smooth and soft and ready for condish!