Conditioner w/lots of slip for natural hair

rayne

My daughter has dry, natural hair that tangles easily. I'm looking for a moisturizing conditioner with lots of slip. I used to use a kiddie cholesterol conditioner (can't think of the name right now), but it's no longer effective. Any recommendations?

mrslee

Love yourself first!
rayne said:
My daughter has dry, natural hair that tangles easily. I'm looking for a moisturizing conditioner with lots of slip. I used to use a kiddie cholesterol conditioner (can't think of the name right now), but it's no longer effective. Any recommendations?

Mane and Tail! I use it on my daughters extra kinky hair and it works wonders! I use the Shampoo and the conditioner. I let the conditioner sit on her head for about 5 minutes and rinse. I use the Blue Magic grease (green) while damp and comb. It is sooo easy. I love it!

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"
I've heard naturals rave about daily defense tender apple conditioner.

Are you using too much protein in your daughters hair? I know this can have a bad effect e.g dry and brittleness.

Try clarifying her hair too, she may have a lot of build up which is preventing products from working.

xx

mrslee

Love yourself first!
CharUK said:
I've heard naturals rave about daily defense tender apple conditioner.

Are you using too much protein in your daughters hair? I know this can have a bad effect e.g dry and brittleness.

Try clarifying her hair too, she may have a lot of build up which is preventing products from working.

xx

FYI-
Be cautious of clarifying natural hair, I did this to my daughters hair and it was a nightmare mess! I will never do this again.

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"
mrslee said:
FYI-
Be cautious of clarifying natural hair, I did this to my daughters hair and it was a nightmare mess! I will never do this again.
Really? What did you use? I've heard baking soda is very good.

I was going to clarify my daughters hair for the first time this weekend before I put braids in.

Anyone else have any comments on this?

xx

mrslee

Love yourself first!
CharUK said:
Really? What did you use? I've heard baking soda is very good.

I was going to clarify my daughters hair for the first time this weekend before I put braids in.

Anyone else have any comments on this?

xx

I used the Suave Clarifyer. I use it on my hair but not as often. It was a few months ago, when I was in the major product junkie stage and everything I tried on my hair, I wanted to try on my daughters. It took about a month to get her back to normal with Mane and Tail.
She lost so much moisture and hair! It was horrid!

deedabug

suave clarifying can be drying sometimes..there is always apple cider vinegar or baking soda to try...for slip conditioners...i only use the cheap stuff so im gonna praise vo5 again (although we r on hiatus from each other right now lol its time to rotate) then there is suave conditioners...i juss got some milk and honey to replace blueberries n cream since its disappearing forever and i juss got some white rain jasmine conditioner it seems to give very good slip....i used it as a leave in on my son and worked very well...no tangles

bellydancer

i think adding olive oil to cholesterol conditioners helps a lot! Plus using Robin Woods (growafrohairlong.com) method of washing hair helps. My hair is so easy to detangle when I wash my hair that way. (washing in big loose braids or twists)

NGC

Mane & Tail Moisturizing Conditioner is great (on the lower price end). Back 2 Basics Coconut Mango is also great (on the higher price end). :)

Ayeshia

lustrasilk with evoo oil is great :) So is Pantene Hydrating curls, but a lot of people dont like it becasue of cones. But it has no ill effects on my hair :)

rayne

Thanks for all the responses ladies :kiss: Soooo many products, so little time. I think I'll try the Mane and Tail first since that was mentioned the most.

Oh, I can't remember who asked, but my daughter's hair is just dry and easily tangled by nature. I've tried clarifying, but that didn't really help. Then again, I try not to use a lot of products on her hair so that's probably why.

aqualung

Champagne_Wishes said:
Cheap - Daily Defense Tender Apple
Pricey - Biolage Ultra Hydrating Balm.
Not natural, but I've been itching to try these two products forEVER. They are at the TOP of my list, along with MNT.

My wet hair tangles so badly that the stylists at my salon have stopped returning my calls. I don't even want to deal with my own tangles. I'd rather risk dandruff. :eek:

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
rayne said:
Thanks for all the responses ladies :kiss: Soooo many products, so little time. I think I'll try the Mane and Tail first since that was mentioned the most.

Oh, I can't remember who asked, but my daughter's hair is just dry and easily tangled by nature. I've tried clarifying, but that didn't really help. Then again, I try not to use a lot of products on her hair so that's probably why.

Hmmmm......:scratchch: This Mane 'n Tail has me intrigued. Someone just gave me some of it a few weeks back. I think we may have to try it.

My daughter has very tight, coily hair. I've used VO5 conditioners so far(with EVOO sometimes) then detangle with my (now raggedy) Denman knockoff. Rinse and apply SheaMoisture Leave-In Conditioner. Works like a dream.

I know what it's like to want a very successful wash day!

~op~

rayne

onepraying said:
Hmmmm......:scratchch: This Mane 'n Tail has me intrigued. Someone just gave me some of it a few weeks back. I think we may have to try it.

My daughter has very tight, coily hair. I've used VO5 conditioners so far(with EVOO sometimes) then detangle with my (now raggedy) Denman knockoff. Rinse and apply SheaMoisture Leave-In Conditioner. Works like a dream.

I know what it's like to want a very successful wash day!

~op~

Omg yes, we both be in tears!! That's why I'm so disappointed that her kid's cholesterol no longer works. That stuff was my miracle worker.

Where can I get this SheaMoisture Leave-In Conditioner from? Can you post a pic?

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
rayne said:
Omg yes, we both be in tears!! That's why I'm so disappointed that her kid's cholesterol no longer works. That stuff was my miracle worker.

Where can I get this SheaMoisture Leave-In Conditioner from? Can you post a pic?

Here ya go:

Here are the ingredients:

SheaMoisture Shea Butter Shampoo
Shea Butter, Deionized Water, Sodium Laurel Sulfate, Glycol Stearate, Polyquaterinium 18, Aloe Vera, Herbal Extracts, Pro-Vitamin B-5, WheatGerm Oil, Vitamin E, Sodium Chloride, Methyl Paraben

SheaMoisture Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner
Shea Butter, Deionized Water, Herbal Complex, Panthenol, Centromonium Chloride, Glycerin, Cocoa Butter, Aloe Vera, Jojoba Oil, Vitamin E

I use both, I have this thing about using the same line of poo and cond. :crazy:

The shampoo doesn't smell that great. In fact it doesn't do much of anything at all. I'm probably not going to buy it anymore. The Leave-in is fabulous! :yay: I got it at my local BSS.

After I shampoo her. i use A VO5 cond. and then detangle, then rinse(not completely, but enough) it's still soft and detangled. Section, add the SheaMoisture and use a spray bottle of a moisture mix to keep damp.

~op~

GodMadeMePretty

Try not using shampoo for a few washings. Shampoo was very drying to my daughter's hair. Just using conditioner for washing has whipped her hair back into shape. And washing in sections also helps.

bellydancer

dang it. ok... i didn't want to buy anymore products, but I have got to try this Mane and Tail stuff. i've just heard too much about it. i thought it was better for relaxed hair because of the protein, but i'll try it. I've been wanting to try that SheaMoisture stuff too because it is thick enough for braid outs, but the store that I went to doesn't have it anymore :-( i'll find it though

TigerLily

I like:

Neutrogena Triple Moisture cond.
Garnier Fructis cond.
Suave Awaphui cond.
Elucence MB cond.
Kenra cond.

:)

Porsche19

I'm not natural, but I find that two things detangle the heck out of my texturized 4a hair (and are almost essential at touch up time to detangle thick new growth)

Lustrasilk Aloe Cholestorol
Miss Key's 10 en 1 conditioner

I use them with oilive oil and honey added.

Happy2BNappy

I don't know if this helps.. I am natural also and my hair tangles easily. I am not sure if you are talking about when it is wet. But I love Carol's Daughter hair milk after I wash and condition it...it helps alot with my tangles.

webby

Think Slim
KeraKare Humecto
Tigi Bead Head Moisture Maniac or Self Absorbed
Cheapy creme rinse jugs from Sally's or any other BBS

JenJen2721

GodMadeMePretty said:
Try not using shampoo for a few washings. Shampoo was very drying to my daughter's hair. Just using conditioner for washing has whipped her hair back into shape. And washing in sections also helps.

I second that...I do mostly conditioner washes with my daughter. I may use shampoo once a month, but even then I'll put it in a spout bottle mixed with water and apply it directly to her scalp...wash well, rinse then apply conditioner all over.

V05 Blueberries and Cream works well on her hair...also Aubrey Organics Island Spice Cream Rinse.

rayne

Oh, I didn't know there were more responses :cool: I'm going to the stores tomorrow and will be doing her hair on Sunday. I can't wait to see how it goes!