Is Soaking Kanekalon Hair Necessary?

Sincerely_Ciara

I am putting single braids in my hair tommorow night and I was wondering If its required to soak the hair in water and vinegar? Did any of you ladies that have had braid extensions have a problem without using this method? It just seems like a lot of work and I was just wondering if its ok just to step that??

Thanks, Ciara

sky_blu

Same here. Ive been in braids since Brandy and Ive never heard of soaking any type of hair in water and vinegar. What is that suppose to do??

prettykinks

It isn't necessary. It's recommended because some people are allergic to the base that is on the hair. That's why some women get the itches or bumps from the braids. Personally I don't have a problem with using the hair straight out of the package. HTH

PittGirl06

Hair product junkie reloaded!
I have only done it once and didn't get any itches or bumps. A lot of times I do get the bumps though.....Next tiem I get individuals, I will use soaked hair....I do see a diff in the texture when I do it though. It's all soft and stuff.

KiSseS03

prettykinks said:
It isn't necessary. It's recommended because some people are allergic to the base that is on the hair. That's why some women get the itches or bumps from the braids. Personally I don't have a problem with using the hair straight out of the package. HTH

I notice a big difference when I soak the hair... my scalp is much less itchy.

Neroli

Sincerely_Ciara said:
I am putting single braids in my hair tommorow night and I was wondering If its required to soak the hair in water and vinegar? Did any of you ladies that have had braid extensions have a problem without using this method? It just seems like a lot of work and I was just wondering if its ok just to step that??

Thanks, Ciara

I've worn braids for years without any problems not soaking; however, I kinda like the idea of acidifying the synthetic hair before use and I'm into using ACV rinses on my natural hair soooo, I've started spraying the synthetic braids with ACV before using and I think it does the job without all that extra work of soaking. I simply do a 50/50 ACV & distilled water mix in a spray bottle, shake it up, spray the braids and lie them flat for a couple of hours before use. That's my *lazy* way of pre-treating synthetic hair . . .

Angelicus

I wash my hair and do an apple cider vinegar rinse immediately after I get braids in my hair. You wouldn't believe the crap they put on synthethic hair...

aquarian1252004

I know that the C&G method suggests soaking the hair in water and vinegar. I have worn braids in the past for years and have never done this. However next month when I get my hair braided I plan on experimenting with this just to see the difference/ results (if any).

RainbowCurls

I've never had braids before, but have recently purchased some kanekalon to try my own.
When I first got the hair, I tried one braid and it made my scalp itchy.
After reading about soaking in vinegar, I tried that, and all this white stuff came off the hair!
So, I think it's necessary if the alkaline stuff on the kanekalon is likely to irrate your scalp/skin.
Also, I someone said on here that if you soak the kanekalon in vinegar first, when you come to take the braids out your own hair is less dry.