Should I moisturize and seal before I relax my hair?

Blue_Berry

My hair is kind of dry and I am going to relax my hair. Should I moisturize and seal before relaxing, so my hair won't be very dry afterwards? And can I use a moisturizer as a protector for my scalp.

poookie

definitely not. won't make a difference once you put the relaxer on your hair. plus if you seal with an oil, and get it on your new growth, it will interfere with how the relaxer will process your hair. oil has no pH, so relaxer cannot relax hair with oil on it. it would be fine to apply oil to your previously relaxed hair, but not a moisturizer.

if you're worried about dryness, just make sure to deep condition with heat after relaxing.

and a moisturizer won't protect your scalp. only an oil or petrolatum based product will. hope that helps :)

LaidBak

If you are talking about putting it on your already relaxed ends, I'd say go for it. Many relaxer systems come with a pretreatment step for this exact purpose. I use Honey Shield from the Mizani line on my ends. I've used oil, and even vaseline in my pre-LCHF days.

Now if you are talking about putting it on the hair you intend to relax I cannot advise you because I have no experience doing it. But I know for a fact that I've read posts about Ladies mixing oil in with their relaxer. And even the Phyto relaxer system comes with an oil that you can mix in.

I did a quick Google search and came up with one opinion from a Phyto related website: http://www.whatshebuys.com/phy-ps-64.html
Note: It is never recommended to relax extremely dry or brittle hair. But for those who must straighten their extremely brittle or dry hair, we recommend first applying Phyto's Revitalizing Treatment Oil enough to cover the hair section by section before applying the relaxer. (Intensive Oil Treatment is sold separately and is one of Phytospecifics best sellers!) Once jar has been opened product is good for 6 months (*as long as remainder has not been mixed yet).

So maybe its not such a bad thing. As for your scalp, use a petroleum product. Moisturizer is not gonna protect you.
And I agree with Poookie, DC really well to address your dryness issues. And neutralize like crazy! Maybe even condition before you neutralize as well as afterward. I do that and I think its helpful for dryness.

ETA: Found this blurb on the ph of olive oil. You didn't say what oil you were using to seal. You also didn't say if you were using lye or no lye. But this will give you an idea of how an oil will react with a relaxer. Maybe some of the resident chemists can chime in. In any case, do your research vice relying on opinions.
http://www.oliveoilsource.com/scripts/dictionary.asp?p_do=item&p_id=29

pH: refers to the hydrogen ion concentration in an aqueous solution. Olive oil and other oils are not water soluble so their acidity cannot be measured in terms of pH. Vegetable oils are very weak acids, when mixed with a strong base such as lye they will form a salt (commonly called soap). Better oils have a low acidity while lower quality oils will be more acidic. Their acid content is usually measured in percent free acidity.

Last edited:

melodies815

When I was relaxed, I used Palmer's shea butter formula on my scalp and it worked extremely well. Natural shea butter is good...but it will absorb instead of coating. For a relaxer, you'll do better with the imitation, not real shea. :grin:

Palmer's Cocoa Butter formula works well too...both are round containers with twist-off tops in case you are not familiar with the product.

ITA with the above statement regarding oil.

Good luck!!

cj

beana

I wouldn't do it.

Do you have a special event where you need your hair relaxed this weekend? If not, i would wash and use a moisturizing deep conditioner. Then, in about 4 days i would relax my hair.

Desarae

I would, I woulnd't relax bone dry hair.

I use Mizani BB and it comes with Honey Shield, a moisturizer/protectant.

I dont think it would hurt, just make sure you dont soak it, and let it air dry afterwards.

Aggie

Perhaps these links can help you further blueberry:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/ar...rerelaxer_checklist_for_black_pg3.html?cat=69

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/352470/is_lye_or_nolye_chemical_relaxing_better.html?cat=69

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278572/getting_ready_to_relax_preparing_your.html?cat=69

http://www.associatedcontent.com/ar...safely_applying_chemical_relaxers.html?cat=69

These articles on relaxing have saved my hair throughout the relaxer process, before, during and after.

I do ensure that my hair is in as healthy a condition as it can be before every relaxer. I always neutralize my hair 3-5 days before a relaxer and strengthen it using some type of daily protein treatment like Cantu Break Cure or Profectiv Break Free on the previously relaxed hair for 3 days leading up to the relaxer.

The day of the relaxer, I add some type of natural oil like evoo on my previously relaxed hair for added protection. As for my scalp and edges, the only thing I use is vaseline or blue magic petroleum jelly.

Judging by what have indicated about your dry hair, you may need some moisturizing conditioning as well.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
My hair is kind of dry and I am going to relax my hair. Should I moisturize and seal before relaxing, so my hair won't be very dry afterwards? And can I use a moisturizer as a protector for my scalp.

Hopefully, In the weeks leading up to your "Relaxer" hopefully, you've been doing All the necessary "prep" work to prepare both your NG, Scalp & Previously Relaxed Hair. Making sure it is as healthy as possible.

Hopefully, you clarified about 2 weeks out and did a Mid Protein Treatment last week. Along with DC'ing etc....

However, as for dryness afterwards, IMO that will depend on the steps you take after relaxing.

The use of a "decent" neutralizing shampoo. The type of Moisturizing DC Treatment are you following up with Post Relaxer.

The Leave-In, the Setting Lotion etc....

If you have the right products post relaxing, dryness should not be an issue.

As for a Scalp Protectant, I always use Summit Sensitive Scalp, although there are others.