Trying to grow little girls hair long

Miz_Complexity

Hello ladies. I want to ask if anyone here is growing a little girls hair long. Where do I start? I want to help my sister grow her, little 4-year-old twins hair long. My sister is forever putting braids and grease in their hair and complains that she has not see in growth in months. Their hair is 100% natural. Then she says all the other little girls hair are long, what am I doing wrong. I want to know what kind of hair shampoo's, conditioner's, vitamin's, and hair regimen's she should put them on to help them grow their hair. Any suggestions would help me out a lot.

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
i can only suggest
-kids organics shea butter detangling lotion
-i would just use baby products shampoo/conditioner
-avoid tight ponytails and never use rubberbands
-try to keep the hair braided but not tight
-try to keep the ends moisturized
-avoid heat
Don't worry lots of lil kiddies have short hair then all the sudden get a growth spurt

Chinagem

I wouldn't be worrying about a vitamin regimen for a four year old besides regular children's vitamins. As long as they are getting a balanced meal, the vitamin part should be well taken care of. I think she should keep the routine simple. Also, the children's hair may be growing but since it's 100 % natural, it may be a little bit harder to notice it over a period of months due to shrinkage. Just let the babies' hair do it's thing. As long as it's getting babied, I'm sure it'll grow long and strong.

MelsWifey

Hair Fanatic
I don't have a girl, but I take care of my son's hair and I really don't plan on cutting it until he says so. My 6 month old's hair is past shoulder length when stretched, and it didn't have any opportunity to get all dry and brittle and break off in the back because of the constant moisture. If your sister does that, I really believe that she will see rewarding growth in her girls' hair.

My son was born with a head full of hair and hasn't lost not one... No bald spot in the back, no dry itchy scalp or anything, and I attribute that not to luck but to good care.

*I use shampoo on his hair like once a month and it's usually one of those Suave brands that my husband uses because since I only poo 1x in a month I try to sort of clarify.

*I do conditioner washes every single day while he takes his bath, and because his hair is so thick and curly, the only time I comb through is when it is wet and drenched in conditioner. As far as what conditioner I use, I was blessed enough to stumble across the idea of using the Aphogee Balancing Conditioner on him. I didn't want to trash it (because it did absolutely nothing for my relaxed hair), but his hair LOVES it :love:. Ooooh, it makes it so soft and easy to comb through :). I wet his hair, put his condioner on and let it sit while I bathe him. The last step is to comb through and rinse.

*After that while his hair is still wet (I don't towel dry) I moisturize it with World of Curls gel activator (it doesn't take much), or if I'm out of that I use a dime size amount of my Milk & Honey and a few squirts of my Wonder 8 Oil to seal...Then he's good for the night. Since he usually gets his bath before bed, in the morning before we start the day I just put a little gel activator in w/o combing through and I'm done.

He's still rocking his baby fro now...I've never put rubberbands, corn-rows, or anything like that in his hair. When he is a bit older though I would like to corn-row it, and maybe put some comb-coils in it (if he will let me :lol: ). Basically, in my experience, when it comes to AA kids' hair, or any curly haired child for that matter, moisture is the KEY factor. They are natural, don't have heat damage, or anything like that so they really have a leg up on us old heads, lol, so once you add moisture to the equation, there really isn't much that can go wrong. HTH

Peachtree

Miz_Complexity said:
Hello ladies. I want to ask if anyone here is growing a little girls hair long. Where do I start? I want to help my sister grow her, little 4-year-old twins hair long. My sister is forever putting braids and grease in their hair and complains that she has not see in growth in months. Their hair is 100% natural. Then she says all the other little girls hair are long, what am I doing wrong. I want to know what kind of hair shampoo's, conditioner's, vitamin's, and hair regimen's she should put them on to help them grow their hair. Any suggestions would help me out a lot.

Hi Miz C-
I am not "intentionally" trying to grow my daughters hair long...I'm just trying to maintain the length/health that she already has.

My daughter is 3...her hair is just below her waist, really thick & curly. This is what I do for her hair (generally)...

In this order:
1) Shampoo with Nature's Gate Chamomille (every 2 weeks)

2) Condition with Motions Lavish (mostly)

3) Detangle with conditioner in hair (Jilbere Large Tooth Shower Comb)

4) Rinse out conditioner, raking my fingers through the length to keep hair detangled.

5) While still soppy wet, add about 3 quarter size amounts of "cheapy" condition (VO5, Suave, White Rain) as a leave in

6) Add jojoba, avocado, carrot, olive, castor, or Hot Six oils. ~OR~ add 100% shea or mango butter, or 100% coconut oil
(I use only natural oils & butters on my daughters hair...besides Hot Six)

7) Section hair in quadrants...(because my daughters hair is long & very thick, sometimes I'll give her 10 sections... it helps to speed up her drying time).

8) Single braid each section & leave to air dry.

Note:

1) I wash her hair 1x every two weeks cause she really hates wash days. However, between washes, I'll take down her braids, moisturize (almost daily), then re-braid. I'll use a mixture of "cheapy" conditioner, distilled water, a natural oil, sometimes a dab of aloe vera gel (not FOTE... but the real kind "Lilly Of The Desert") and a dab of pure honey (Goya).

2) I keep her hair in "single braids". This helps me to keep her hair detangled between washes. Also, it's a wonderful "protective" style

3) The only cutsie hair decorations that I use on her hair are "Satin Scrunchies"
I'll braid her hair & "loop" the ends, secured with a satin scrunchie. This keeps her
ends protected & also keeps her braids from "unraveling"

4) Her single braids hangs down her back (wet)... so I'll gather them & make a bun... this
keeps her hair "out of sight - out of mind"

5) I try to cover her hair with a satin cap or wrap it with a satin scarf, but
sometimes I forget. I'm planning to invest in a satin pillow case for her.

6) I follow my "MOP" routine on her hair... "Moisturize", "Oil", "Protect"
See this link for more details (right column) http://www.longhaircareforum.com/member14.php

.... sorry for the long reply. That's all I can think of now.

Oh, 1 more thing... I would advise ur sister to not compare your neices hair to
other little girls with longer hair. Children hair grow / spurt out at different
times. My daughters hair "spurted" at age 2. As long as the babies are getting
every ounce of their fruits, veggies, protein, dairy, breads, etc, then I wouldn't
worry about anything else. Give it time... remain consistent & patient... their
hair will grow. .... I have advised my girlfriends of this also... their little
girls hair are growing nicely :cool:

(( I have pics of my daughter's hair in my album... )

Last edited:

tammiematthews

I'm so glad that someone posted this question. Ive been working on me and my daughter's hair. She's 2 and a half. I must admit, it is such a stuggle sometimes, trying to keep up with mine and her hair routine. Her wash days are usually Sunday. I gave her a conditioning wash with Suave Coconut and Elucence, detangle while wet (slathered with the condioner) MNT(original) as a leave in and my Surge concoction on her edges (since they are a problem area for her) I also use motions or shea butter oil on her scalp and ends. But lately the problem that Im facing is making a decision to clip her ends? Just out of curiosity sake, I flat ironed her hair. It turned out beautifully...except her ends were puffy and skragely lookin'. Her dad is so opposed to scissors going anywhere near her hair, but i feel that in order for her hair to grow longer and healthy her ends need to be clipped..can kids have split ends????
Should I get them clipped ( i dont feel comfortable doing the cutting myself) any suggestions ladies???

KathyMay

my little girl is 2 1/2 and her is type 3b/4a, I guess and is just below shoulder length. I have used a simple hair routine with her , I wash her hair twice a month, deep condition with VO5 mixed with honey, leave it on for 10 mins and use a moisturizer on her hair afterwards. I dont use grease any hair anymore grease just doesnt help her hair at all. So I just use Hot six oil and a moisturizer like EQP mango butter or CD HHB on her hair and nourishes her hair and it grows nicely.

Honi

There is no board.
My daughter is 18 months and most of her hair fell out. She had about 4 good patches that I was working with until it started to grow in again.

She has 3 different textures on her head…2 something, 3b in the crown and sides and 4a in the back. The back middle section is a texture I’ve never seen in my life. It felt rough like the hair was growing in backwards (picture running your finger traveling in the opposite direction of your hair strand). When it grew out it now feels normal so just the ends are weird like that. I will slowly trim that away when she has some length. Right now it’s at her neck.

I use Elucence and Kenra conditioners when I shampoo her hair once a week. Otherwise it’s Suave Milk N’ Honey for her CW in between. I comb it thru while she’s moving around doing doing stuff and I’m trying to bathe her. After that I rinse and blot lightly with a towel, apply a dab of NTM leave in followed by either WGO or CD HHB, braid it while she’s watching Elmo’s world and then put a little silk scarf on her head. The next morning I don’t have to do anything because it stays nice a flat for a day or two. I repeat the CW process again until her next shampoo.

Ayeshia

tammiematthews said:
I'm so glad that someone posted this question. Ive been working on me and my daughter's hair. She's 2 and a half. I must admit, it is such a stuggle sometimes, trying to keep up with mine and her hair routine. Her wash days are usually Sunday. I gave her a conditioning wash with Suave Coconut and Elucence, detangle while wet (slathered with the condioner) MNT(original) as a leave in and my Surge concoction on her edges (since they are a problem area for her) I also use motions or shea butter oil on her scalp and ends. But lately the problem that Im facing is making a decision to clip her ends? Just out of curiosity sake, I flat ironed her hair. It turned out beautifully...except her ends were puffy and skragely lookin'. Her dad is so opposed to scissors going anywhere near her hair, but i feel that in order for her hair to grow longer and healthy her ends need to be clipped..can kids have split ends????
Should I get them clipped ( i dont feel comfortable doing the cutting myself) any suggestions ladies???

yes children do get split ends. Especially if they are a rough sleeper if they dont wear scarves or if they play in their hair. My mom used to put my hair in ponytails and everyonece in a blue moon she would clip the ends a teeny weeny bit. Since she never used heat to straigthen my hair and tied up my hair at night it wasnt mandatory to get a professional trim. I was also natural as a child too so my hair wasnt prone to as much damage.

Lovelylocs

When my sister started using Keracarehumecto shampoo and conditioner and biolage leave-in on my neices hair, it really seemed to turn around and now it is so soft.

blkmaryland

Ok...I guess I'm a little...no a lot confused.....I remember there was a post sometime ago where everyone talked about when they were a kid and how their mothers washed and combed their hair once every week or once every two weeks and between washings, their mothers did nothing and their hair was it's healthiest and grew long.....The consensus was "less is more".....I would be careful using all kinds of chemicals and concoctions on my childs hair....Remember the hair does grow its just a matter of maintaining the length. we don't want our children to think that they have "bad" hair......Just my two bits....

kombov_dymond

My daughter's 4b hair showed at about 5 months. It was really dry and when we would put barettes on it, it would just break off with hair in it. It was so fragile. A family friend suggested that I use olive oil in her hair. All I did to it was put the oil on and comb it. As it started to grow and get THICK, I would put ponytails in her hair.

During the early stages, I couldn't braid. My cousin would braid it up for me and I would leave it in until it began to look scraggly.

Well, she's 6 now and I have learned to braid and such. She has almost waist length hair (when stretched) and it continues to thrive. I used the green Soft Sheen grease (for extra dry hair) because her hair would just soak up everything else on the market. {This is really great grease for dry hair} I don't use this now because I have learned so many other things here on LHCF.

This is our regime:
Every 2 weeks
Pre-poo with EVOO and honey
Wash with CON UMF(green and white bottle with yellow cap)
VO5 Strawberries and Creme Conditioner
Every 6 weeks we clarify with Suave poo before we do the pre-poo

Her hair is SHINY as crap when I style it with box braids or ponies after the wash(the honey is NO joke on her hair). Her hairstyles(yes, even ponytails) last for 2 weeks without getting kinky looking.

If I cornrow it, it lasts for 3 weeks with the help of S-curl and a satin bonnet.

I haven't done box braids in awhile. I like doing them because they are versatile because you can style them with barrettes and scrunchies. I have also washed her hair with them still in and they have lasted up to a month at a time.

HTH

GodMadeMePretty

Before I found the board, I found that less was best for my daughter. I ordered some shampoo from Gold Medal catalog which I found to be a very gentle shampoo. I used that until she was about 3 years old. My mother got me into using olive oil on her hair from the time that she was just a couple of weeks old. She said that's what she used on our hair. Since my hair was super thick and super long when I was young, I trusted what she said (plus she was doing some MAJOR deep conditioning treatments to her own hair at the time and her hair was growing by leaps and bounds).

Now I am still a less is more girl. I recently stopped using shampoo on her hair and her hair maintains its softness better. I'll conditioner wash once a week or once every two weeks. For clarifying, I may use a shampoo, but invariably, I'll just pull out the baking soda and use that. That's some good stuff. For the conditioner wash, I've been using Suave Humectant Professional or whatever that stuff is. After I rinse that out, I use Suave coconut conditioner.

As I detangle, comb, and style, I'll spritz her hair with water and coconut conditioner and then use coconut oil or this other oil blend that I bought (I can't remember the name) or pure unrefined shea butter. On a daily basis, I spritz her hair with the water and coconut conditioner and put the oils or shea butter on it. It doesn't matter what style it's in, that's the routine.

Her classmates (5 years old) want to smell her hair all the time. They told her that her hair has the classroom smelling good. That wasn't my intention, but the daily spritzing with the conditioner/water mix has been really good for maintaining the softness.

Her daily style for weeks was the ponytail puff. That was easy to maintain. Her style for the past couple of weeks was 3 ponytails with 8-9 twists per ponytail. Then I took the twists out and she wore twist-out ponytails. Every night, the twists would get re-twisted with spritzing and oil.

Scrunchies are a little girl's best friends - none of those balls. All those things do is get tangled in her hair. And no rubber bands.

MeccaMedinah

My daughter is 2 1/2 years old with 3A/3B type hair that is almost waist length when stretched. My routine for her hair is simple. I wash it once a week with Suave Tropical Coconut Shampoo & conditioner. If she needs her hair clarified I use V05's Kiwi Lime shampoo & conditioner. After I wash her hair I add conditioner and fingercomb add more conditioner and put it up in a ponytail while I am washing her. Then I rinse her hair with water that is a little cooler than we washed her hair with. I usually spray a little African Royale BRX braid spray on her hair and then comb with a wide toothed comb. Next I add a little coconut oil GREASE to her ends and length and put in large braids. I've tried conditioner washes on her but I noticed how thin her hairline was and I stopped. Her hairline recovered very quickly when I resumed washing with shampoo. She also wears her hair in one strand twists that I twist until they are "buns", and I secure with ponytail holders. (they are soft and cotton?- I've used them since she had enough hair to wear a ponytail). I keep her ends moist and covered.