thinking about "perming the edges"

FineChyna

thinking about \"perming the edges\"

even when i had a relaxer i permed my hair maybe 3x's a year and touched up the short edges around my face and the nape of my neck that would become freezy w/ new growth. i gave up my perm altogether because my hair was growing uneven and shedding and i wasn't sure why or what i was doing wrong. i stopped perming my hair about a year ago, started eating better, and taking hair, skin, and nail vitamins for about a lil over 4 mo now. YES I CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE!!! my hair evened up, it looks better and everything. the interesting thing is my hair never really needed a perm and it grows in dry waves like kelis but the freezy edges around my hairline are driving me nuts and it looks bad. right now the weather is very hot, humid, i am very active outdoors, and hair jell and hair softner (like carols daughter's hair butter) is not working on these rough edges. i have to wear my hair back cause i don't look w/ my hair down. i considered braids but with the way my hair is growing it might be a waste of money.

does anyone here perm their edges? thanks for your help

twinietwintwin

Re: thinking about \"perming the edges\"

I did it once when i was wearing a sewn-in weave.... I do not recommend you do this.... That is one of the reasons my hair line was thinning out, along with improper braiding.... I find that when I wash my hair frequently, my edges lay down like baby hair... I have some extra fine hair that doesn't really need perms either except for the edges and back, but i learned the hard way what putting on relaxers on edges between actual relaxer time meant....

Crystal

SVT

I wouldn't advise it because aren't the hairs around the edges more fragile in comparison to the rest of the hair?

Instead of straight edges have you considered products or methods to define your curly or wavy edges? That way, it won't be such a struggle in humidity or other similar environments to maintain your hairstyle.

Tracy

My edges don't dry as curly as the rest of my hair and what I do is tie them with a long scarf (one you can wind around the circumference of your head) while they are drying. The edges dry with a slight wave and the rest dries culy as normal. I don't advise perming it if the rest of your hair is natural. Even if it goes wonderfully, best case scenario is that eventually you'll end up with a full band of hair around your hairline that's straightish while the rest is curly.
Eventually that will cause styling problems as well, and your only recourse will be to cut that hair short to get the perm out....

henrilou

I think it is not a good idea to relax your edges. To have 20% of your hair chemically altered will leave you with broken off hair. Either relax the whole thing and take care of it (with our help) or stay natural. By doing only some of it, you will put yourself in a permanent state of transition. And that is not fun.

Kengne19

<font color="blue"> Okay...so you stopped perming a year ago. Are you transitioning...??

And like the others I don't recommmend perming your edges. Your hairline is more fragile and prone to breakage. Didnt you say you stopped perming BECAUSE your hair was growin' uneven and shedding? Well...puttin' a chemical on fine hair certainly won't make the situation any better.

What I suggest if you REALLY want to get your edges flat is to wet your hair. Brush it back with a boar bristle brush, nice and smooth. And then wrap a silk scarf TIGHT around your head, with emphasis on the hairline. Keep it on for at least a good 20-30 minutes.

Truss me...if you smooth back the hair right your edges will lie flat to your head. I do this on my natural hair when I want to get a sleek look and it lasts until I re-wet my hair. And it doesn't leave my hair caked or flakey with gel residue (because I dont use any!)

Take care!! </font>