Is it better to be natural and flat iron for straight hair or go relaxed?

is it healthier to be low-mani relaxed or flat ironed-natural?

• being low-mani relaxed gal rocking rollersets is best

Votes: 43 16.5%
  • being natural and flat ironing when you get the urge is healthier

Votes: 122 46.9%
  • both are equally bad

Votes: 24 9.2%
  • both are fine

Votes: 71 27.3%

• Total voters

ajoyfuljoy

Is it better/healthier for the hair to be

(1) a natural who flat irons for the straight look?

or,

(2) a relaxed gal that rollersets for the straight look?

Which is the lesser of the two evils in your opinion? I'm not expecting there to be a general consensus on this (obviously there won't be). But personal stories are appreciated!

Last edited:

santwon

I was tempted to post in the poll, but it felt like (to me) that your poll and the post topic are asking two different things.

ayanharr

I think both are fine BUT require diffrent hair care regimens.

For me, I have fine hair, so when I had a relaxer I had NO body or bounce to my hair. I'd get a wash and set and by the next day I had NO curls left. I'm natural now, and when I flat iron my hair has hellah bounce and body which last for about 1week and a half if I pin curl everynight.

Last edited:

justsimply

I think both are fine if you use healthy hair practices. It's just a matter of preference. When I relaxed in Dec06, I did so thinking it was better/safer to be relaxed than a flat-ironing natural. But 10 mths later I was transitioning because I missed being natural. 6 mths later I'm all natural. I think my hair was pretty healthy throughout all the stages, but I prefer natural.

Highly Favored8

For me, I have fine hair, so when I had a relaxer I had NO body or bounce to my hair. I'd get a wash and set and by the next day I had NO curls left. I'm natural now, and when I flat iron my hair has hellah bounce and body which last for about 1week and a half if I pin curl everynight.

Very true good post.:yep:

lovinmylocs

I think it depends on what works for you. Both options require work and effort you just have to see what fits your life.

ajoyfuljoy

Thanks ladies for the comments so far!

I was wondering if I went natural and flat ironed would my hair be damaged more like that then by my relaxed low-mani. regimin.

I'm afraid of direct heat! But I'm looking to hear about naturals that use it without having straight strands and damaged hair.

I think my hair can take heat (Lord knows I used to have a hot comb all up in my head all the time). I'm hoping it's the combo of relaxer plus direct heat that my hair doesn't like.

B/c if I could go natural and use the heat when I wanted with no consequence then I'd definitely consider that an option :yep:

Inches411

if your going to keep your hair straight most the time ... i say relax. its doesnt make since to go through the hassle of flatironing over and over.... and some natural hair takes a lot of heat to get straight... the only way i would go natural is if i would rock twist and braids most the time... and a ocassional flat iron here and there but not often.

ladylibra

Thanks ladies for the comments so far!

I was wondering if I went natural and flat ironed would my hair be damaged more like that then by my relaxed low-mani. regimin.

I'm afraid of direct heat! But I'm looking to hear about naturals that use it without having straight strands and damaged hair.

I think my hair can take heat (Lord knows I used to have a hot comb all up in my head all the time). I'm hoping it's the combo of relaxer plus direct heat that my hair doesn't like.

B/c if I could go natural and use the heat when I wanted with no consequence then I'd definitely consider that an option :yep:

i think this is exactly what PinkSkates does, she uses a hot comb to straighten her hair...

ajoyfuljoy

i think this is exactly what PinkSkates does, she uses a hot comb to straighten her hair...

Hot comb not by choice though, lol! My mom used to use it on me and I hated it. But my hair was really healthy, thick and long anyway (shrugs shoulders). I guess it just depends on how you use them.

RubyWoo

if your going to keep your hair straight most the time ... i say relax. its doesnt make since to go through the hassle of flatironing over and over.... and some natural hair takes a lot of heat to get straight... the only way i would go natural is if i would rock twist and braids most the time... and a ocassional flat iron here and there but not often.

This exactly how I feel and why I may go back to relaxing (but a more texlaxed look) because I still want to rock straight hair. I also love my smooth, bouncy, rollersets and not ready to give them up yet. I don't need alot of heat to achieve the looks I love. When I go natural, I would like to get straight styles occasionally(1-2x per year) but intend to rock my natural texture 95% of the time. I'm too afraid of heat damage to consider using heat more often. I would feel like I would be better off relaxing if I burned my hair straight.

Mook's hair

I have had similar concerns.

I'm transitioning and I think I would like to be able to flat iron it straight most of the time like pinkskates.

I decided to transition because I want to get away from the chemical. I have several friends & family members who are natural but always go to the dominican salon twice a month and get it straightened and their hair is long thick and un damaged. Also I remember when I was a child and my mom would use the hot comb weekly and my hair always reverted when wet again and grew very long.

I had a growing concern about heat damage but that is lessening. As Pink skates always reminds me that it is a matter of protecting your hair with the right products prior to the application of heat. And not over-doing the frequency of heat.

When I was relaxed I washed, deep conditioned and flat ironed my hair once a week. I was not doing rollersets.
I think I can have some success as a natural as long as I only use the flat iron after deep conditioning just like when I was relaxed.

Last edited:

MizzBrown

There are naturals that flat iron their hair everday and manipulate it everyday and then think that I am wrong because I put a chemical in mine yet the only heat i see is the hooded dryer on wash day and thats it.

Using bad heat practices negates the whole act of having healthy hair and is the equivalent of putting a relaxer in your hair if you are doing it often.

I like the naturals around here who only straighten their hair for a length check or to trim. That's it. They embrace their coils, twists or whatever for months on end and don't reach for the flat iron everyday.

If/when i make that transition, I am not flat ironing it all the time just to get the relaxed look. That doesnt make sense to me.

sunnydaze

Dunno...I am transitioning and live somewhere very humid. If I were to try and wear my hair straight most of the time, I would be applyilng heat to my hair twice a week (or more)..for me, that isn't worth it, I'd just stay relaxed.

I can't even think of how often I will straighten my hair once natural..maybe 3 times a year at most? The thought of it is already exhausting.:grin:

PinkSkates

Op its all about doing what works for you and your lifestyle. Some ladies in this thread stated that it does not make sense to keep putting heat in your hair if you want it straight. Well...

It makes perfect sense to me and it works great for my hair.
I can have bone straight hair on monday, kinky curly hair on tuesday, a nappy fro on wednesday, a big poofy pony tail on thursday and, back to silky straight hair on friday. I'm a free spirit and I have to have many styling options...and I want them without the help of chemicals.
1.My hair is not damaged from heat usage because I respect the heat and I protect my hair and scalp at all measures.
2. I live in a very dry climate so reversion is not a major issue for me.
3. I'm very fickle when it comes to my hair. At 10 am I want silky straight hair. And by 10pm I want a big nappy Afro ponytail so I can go rock out at the skating rink!
And having natural hair that I can straighten with heat affords me to indulge my fickleness!:lachen:So as long as my hair is swinging healthily down my back, I will continue with my hot combs.:yep:
BTW...i will have hair updates next month.
My hair is retaining length like a mutha'...

So OP keep experimenting... you'll find what woks for your tresses.

gymfreak336

It depends on your lifestyle and styling goals.
For some situations, being natural and pressing is easier, and for other being relaxed is. This is the beauty of having the choice.:yep:

With that being said, technique counts for alot in any situation. Just like how bad relaxing methods can ruin your hair, so can being reckless with a flat iron or hot comb. As long as you have a good handle on healthy hair 101 and you are knowledgable of your OWN hair, then you shouldn't have a problem either way. Heat or Chemicals aren't the enemy, improper use is and I think that is were alot of us have a problem. I think some people fear it and that prevents them from learning about it. You see that on this board all of the time.

There are some women on this board that transition smoothly from relaxed to natural and back without missing a beat. These are the ones that find what works for them in either situation and stick with it. They know about how to have healthy hair and they understand their hair.

ajoyfuljoy

Op its all about doing what works for you and your lifestyle. Some ladies in this thread stated that it does not make sense to keep putting heat in your hair if you want it straight. Well...

I can have bone straight hair on monday, kinky curly hair on tuesday, a nappy fro on wednesday, a big poofy pony tail on thursday and, back to silky straight hair on friday. I'm a free spirit and I have to have many styling options...and I want them without the help of chemicals.
1.My hair is not damaged from heat usage because I respect the heat and I protect my hair and scalp at all measures.
3. I'm very fickle when it comes to my hair. At 10 am I want silky straight hair. And by 10pm I want a big nappy Afro ponytail so I can go rock out at the skating rink!
And having natural hair that I can straighten with heat affords me to indulge my fickleness!:lachen:So as long as my hair is swinging healthily down my back, I will continue with my hot combs.:yep:

I'm like you, I want options. I'd like to also wear my natural texture but then have it straight sometimes, just depending on what I want at that time, you know? Sometimes I like tight perm rod sets and sometimes I like a half wig that's mid back. That's just what I do.

I also don't want to be stuck in any style and I respect hair whether it is natural or relaxed.

I like your hair philosophy. Thanks for that :yep:

morehairplease

Good question.....great thread. Honestly, I do now know. This last time I went natural, I got hard presses(too hard to be exact b/c I had to do a bc again :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:) b/c I felt that getting my natural hair pressed would be better than relaxing. Sadly, I did more damage than good to my tresses.

PinkSkates

Originally posted by ajoyfuljoy
I'm like you, I want options. I'd like to also wear my natural texture but then have it straight sometimes, just depending on what I want at that time, you know? Sometimes I like tight perm rod sets and sometimes I like a half wig that's mid back. That's just what I do.

I also don't want to be stuck in any style and I respect hair whether it is natural or relaxed.

I like your hair philosophy. Thanks for that :yep:

You are very welcome...just do YOU! ...
and as long as you follow healthy hair care basics then you can have many options whether you are natural or relaxed.

RegaLady

This is what I am hoping for with my fine hair. I also cut it also because pinned straight relaxed hair look like strings on my head. So cutting made it look thicker.:look: But, I am hoping that going natural will put a pep in my step.:grin:

RegaLady

I am hoping to gain this sense of freedom, one day! I love the options!:grin:

kim

Well said, and I totally agree!!! My daughter and I are both natural and she uses heat everyday. I only use it occasionally. Her hair is the healthiest(sp?) I have seen it since before I made the mistake of relaxing it. She has so much body and bounce to it, no split ends and it is growing like crazy. Mine on the other hand is having some issues lately!!!!! But only because I have been neglecting it. So my vote would be natural and flat ironing when you like.

luckiestdestiny

Depends on the person. I'm a natural and I couldn't take a relaxer, maybe it was being overprocessed by stylists. Either way, I needed to take control of my own hair so chopping it off and starting fresh was the way for me. I flat iron every week, or 2 times a month and my hair still grows, and I still maintain length just as well. I protect it though of course, and now that Sabino is in my arsenal my hair looks relaxed anyways...

Attachments

• moisture block 3.JPG
    moisture block 3.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 58
  • sabino moisture pic.JPG
    sabino moisture pic.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 64

chocolate01

Great post, everyone has to do what works for them! For me it's about 50/50. I live in upstate NY where it rarely gets very hot and humid and when it does it usually does not last long. I wear my hair straight during the fall/winter and then wear my natural texture in the spring/summer. Actually lately I have been wearing my hair straight most often than not. It works for me, I have the best of both worlds!