Heat damage?? How do i fix without cutting?

Mimi22

Hey ladies!
I've suffered a bit of heat damage on my nape, and I really dont wanna cut it off. How do i get my curls to revert to its natural vibrancy without having to chop it off?? :ohwell: I've been using Aveda DR treatment, but any additional ideas would help. I have ORS replenishing pak and cholesterol and wonder, would it help bring life back into my hair? Would I have to make a home remedy blend of some sort??! I dont wanna see my stylist in jan and have him insist on chopping it off!! So a lil help is desperately needed!!! :wallbash:

Mortons

Try a straw set or twisting it to try and "teach" it to curl. Do this for a while and see if it helps any. It may not always but its worth a try.

nappity

Im also a bearer of bad news:perplexed. It needs to get trimmed off.
Once the cortex and cuticle are damaged- theres no repair
I had the same experience in November with a rabid blowdryer and a woman who didn't know anything better than to fry my ends and scalp. I had to cut off two inches. But I learned that my hair is naturally dry and blowdrying it dries it out more. Snip the ends until you feel comfortable and use a very sharp hair scissor- . cause you dont want to have to do more cause of the first bad snip:nono:
Dont worry it grows back
I feel your pain

locabouthair

in some cases yeah u might have to cut it, but i thought in some cases u could try a protein treatment. someone correct me if im wrong.

MZMATTHEWS

March 2006 I was natural and APL. I had to cut my hair because I had severe heat damage. My hair was straight and shedding like crazy I tried conditioning, braiding, and nothing I tried worked. Since yours is in your nape maybe you can just trim it and keep it moving.

Artemis

Would you ladies agree that if after a month of treating the area, and there has been no change, to just go ahead begin slowly trimming away?

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I don't believe there is a product that will bring the texture back, BUT I would be braid/twist outing that section to match the rest of the texture and keep it moving.

If relaxed hair (with broken down bonds, etc.) can sustain heat applications on a regular basis then natural hair should be able to survive a once in a while pass through with a flat iron/blow dryer/pressing comb.

I wouldn't cut ISH!!!!!

Amarech

in some cases yeah u might have to cut it, but i thought in some cases u could try a protein treatment. someone correct me if im wrong.

This could work but you have to be careful and not overdo it. I think, no, I know I damaged my hair through heat this summer. I tried to correct it with protein. When I saw the results I was so happy I started over doing it with the protein and my hair continued to break:nono:

Cutting really is the best option though. You could also try dusting. I'm a firm believer in dusting because it's a nice way to cut without being drastic.
Just trim 1/8 inch every two or three weeks.

Protein or not if you hair is very damaged by heat (or anything else) it will have to be cut. There is no way around this fact. Treating it with protein, moisture and TLC can help some of the damage but it won't reverse it.

billyne

yeah..it sucks. that's why i stopped straightening my hair-that would always happen, and then if i didn't cut it off, it would break off anyway.

NewYorkgyrl

Uh, my stylist wouldn't be insisting to cut off anything. You cut/trim as you see fit.

Well if you wear your hair as a wash and go majority of the time and not straight it may be the only option because the straight ends can sometimes mess up the look. (speaking in general)

chavascandy

I agree with the other ladies. In order to regain healthy looking tresses again it may be wise to cut it.

I would advise that if you don't want to do a big chop, gradually get trims as needed.

I been down your path before. I just went ahead and cut my hair slap off. I only left enough the new growth.

It will be worth it. You don't want to destroy your healthy hair for holding on to your damaged hair.

Mimi22

Heyy ladies, I gave my hair a protein treatment last night and no curl :nono:
I'm gonna twist it and keep treating it hoping will revert!!!

Cutting?!?!?! NOOOOO:wallbash::wallbash:

Sunshine_One

I don't believe there is a product that will bring the texture back, BUT I would be braid/twist outing that section to match the rest of the texture and keep it moving.

If relaxed hair (with broken down bonds, etc.) can sustain heat applications on a regular basis then natural hair should be able to survive a once in a while pass through with a flat iron/blow dryer/pressing comb.

I wouldn't cut ISH!!!!!

ITA with all of the above. This is the route I would take if this happened to me. I would only trim it along with the other hair as it all grows out. Braiding and twisting that area with help it blend with the rest of your hair.

HTH

Artemis

I wouldn't cut ISH!!!!!

If relaxed hair endured heat that was too hot it would be damaged and need to be chopped off, too. Just because it has a straight appearance doesn't mean that it can actually sustain and thrive. Hold that hair up to the light and you'll see the damage. Same with natural hair.

Crackers Phinn

If relaxed hair endured heat that was too hot it would be damaged and need to be chopped off, too. Just because it has a straight appearance doesn't mean that it can actually sustain and thrive. Hold that hair up to the light and you'll see the damage. Same with natural hair.

If you burn the hair to the point that it's changed color, split and broken/breaking, then yeah cut it off. But failure to revert does not necessarily fall into any of the above categories.

If 'heat damage' = straight hair, then the relaxed heads and naturals on this board who wear their hair straight exclusively would all be bald.

I've read the manifesto. There is never just one answer to a problem.

Artemis

If you burn the hair to the point that it's changed color, split and broken/breaking, then yeah cut it off. But failure to revert does not necessarily fall into any of the above categories.

If 'heat damage' = straight hair, then the relaxed heads and naturals on this board who wear their hair straight exclusively would all be bald.

I've read the manifesto. There is never just one answer to a problem.

Yeah, I understand what you are saying, however, it can possibly fall into that catergory. All the OP has to do is look at her non-reverting hair in the light and see if it's discolored.

And I never said that "heat damage = straight hair", so the point I made was missed. I said that "Just because it [relaxed hair] has a straight appearance doesn't mean that it can actually sustain and thrive." Meaning that heat damage can hide on straight and curly hair. Clearly the heat was high enough to damage something if OP's hair won't curl back up. Just like relaxed hair that is heat damaged has little to no elasticity. Therefore, again I ask, that if after a month of treatments, and there is still no change to the hair, can it be safe to 'charge it to the game' as it were, and let that hair go [even if by slowly trimming]? We don't even need to call it 'damaged' hair, if that bothers you...:look:

Last edited:

kellie7777

I had used too hot a curling iron on my natural hair and it fried the ends. i dc, cow, i did protein, i baggied, all the stuff i found on here for dry hair and ends. no matter how i moisturized, when my hair dried it was always dry and rough and hard at the ends, while the rest of my hair was soft and silky. i tried for more than a month trying to fix it, but i got tired of the snap crackle and pop when i touch it or it would split up the shaft. so i cut mine off. not all at once but a little at a time.. dusting.

Do what you think is right... you may actually be able to repair some part of it so you dont have to trim as much... but you may have to trim the ends for sure, since the ends are the oldest part of the hair and sometimes won't revive... lol.

Artemis

I had used too hot a curling iron on my natural hair and it fried the ends. i dc, cow, i did protein, i baggied, all the stuff i found on here for dry hair and ends. no matter how i moisturized, when my hair dried it was always dry and rough and hard at the ends, while the rest of my hair was soft and silky. i tried for more than a month trying to fix it, but i got tired of the snap crackle and pop when i touch it or it would split up the shaft. so i cut mine off. not all at once but a little at a time.. dusting.

Do what you think is right... you may actually be able to repair some part of it so you dont have to trim as much... but you may have to trim the ends for sure, since the ends are the oldest part of the hair and sometimes won't revive... lol.

I completely agree w/the bolded :yep:

silverlotus

I wouldn't cut ISH!!!!!

Not a natural, but I agree with this. If it's just one section (especially in the nape where you can hide it), just blend for now & grow it out gradually. You don't HAVE to chop if you don't want to, especially if it's not breaking or split.

Cutting would just give you a section that's much shorter than the rest - I don't see how that could look better than what you have now.

Demi27

Well, at least you're honest about not wanting to cut/trim your hair right now. I was going through the same thing a few weeks ago. My hair was breaking off terribly at the ends. I did protein treatments and cholesterol treatments (more protein), but my hair still didn't seem to hold a curl. I know I will have to cut the damaged portions off eventually, but I wanted my hair to grow longer first before I did that. I finally was able to find out how to my hair together. It holds a curl and it's very soft and manageable. Ok. Here's what I did (which may or may not work for you).

Here's a part of what I posted in another thread. I did the first part 2 Fridays ago.

1) I made a conditioner of black strap molasses, olive oil, honey, coconut oil and ACV. Please don't ask me how much because I have NO idea. I just put mainly molasses in and then added the rest. I got this off of the BHM site. I put it on my hair under a plastic cap for about 45 minutes.

2) I washed rinsed well and then washed my hair with Porosity control shampoo and conditioner.

3) Then I did an ACV rinse (ACV and water). It was 1/4 cup of ACV in 1 quart of cool water.

4) I rinsed my hair REALLY well and then sealed the cuticles shut with a cool water rinse. I then had to dry my hair with the blow dryer. I DO NOT SUGGEST THIS, but I had issues going on. But I will tell you this much, I had minimal breakage just from then. The ACV is a temporary fix, but it worked. My hair also appeared to be MUCH thicker.

5) I've been baggying my ends since then. I've been using whatever conditioner is in the house and then sealed with vaseline (Thanks DSP!!!). I baggied my ends Friday, Sat and Sunday (all day on Sat and Sun).

6) Last night I washed again with the porosity control shampoo and conditioner.

7) Then I put Giovanni Direct Leave In Condioner in my hair and set it with water.

8) I roller set my hair later. HOWEVER, I am not the greatest at rollersetting yet, so it didn't come out too great. So then I had to curl my hair (you won't have to do this if your rollersetting skills are straight :grin:)

Girl, let me tell you. I combed my hair out and I had hardly NO breakage. Between the treatment on Friday, baggying and the Giovanni Direct my hair is SOOOOOO soft with NO breakage. Nomrally when I curl my hair (because there's no moisture) I can't hold a curl. My curls have held ALL DAY LONG today. I had TOO much protein in my hair as well, so I know what you're going through.

Now, in the other post I said I would have used an ORS package after doing the final ACV rinse, but I change that. About a week ago I finally used Pantene's R&N mask after I washed my hair again with the porosity control shampoo. I left it on for about 10 minutes in the shower.

After I rinsed it out I roller set my hair with Giovanni and sealed with an serum. After the rollerset completely dried I did the saran wrap thingy under the dryer and then sprayed KeraCare Silken Seal on it.

No breakage since! My hair needed something other than other protein treatment.

Now, once again, you will need to cut the damaged hair (just like I will), but this may work for you.

Good luck!

After reading these posts, you ladies have motivated me to do a trim that I have been holding off for so long.

....I know it is necessary. *sigh*

Crackers Phinn

Yeah, I understand what you are saying, however, it can possibly fall into that catergory. All the OP has to do is look at her non-reverting hair in the light and see if it's discolored.

And I never said that "heat damage = straight hair", so the point I made was missed. I said that "Just because it [relaxed hair] has a straight appearance doesn't mean that it can actually sustain and thrive." Meaning that heat damage can hide on straight and curly hair. Clearly the heat was high enough to damage something if OP's hair won't curl back up. Just like relaxed hair that is heat damaged has little to no elasticity. Therefore, again I ask, that if after a month of treatments, and there is still no change to the hair, can it be safe to 'charge it to the game' as it were, and let that hair go [even if by slowly trimming]? We don't even need to call it 'damaged' hair, if that bothers you...:look:

Well, the OP is going to cut it so the point is moot. BUT @ the bolded, if there is no change to the hair after a month, i.e., the only difference is that it's straight then I'd still say, 'why cut it'?

BTW - I'm not anti trimming or anti cutting. I do think that the automatic "cut it's" are part of a group think that I don't subscribe too.