How Do You Moisturize and Seal?

What is your method of moisturizing and sealing?

• Total voters
I moisturize my hair daily and I was wondering if it is neccasary to part my hair in sections from my nape of my neck up to my hair line moisturizing and sealing each section.

I watched a few videos on YouTube and some of you apply by running your fingers thru your hair with the product.

Just curious...what is your method?

Thanks Ladies!

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Good Thread MySoon2Be!

I usually apply my Moisturizer all throughout Hair and let it absorb:lick: and then seal with whatever oil mixture I am using.

I do it the exact same way when I baggy too. :yep:

But I am always looking for Best Practices when it comes to Hair Care and always open for new methods/options.:sekret:

Demi27

It depends on what I'm using.

Even though I'm in braids, I still moisturize the same way.

If I'm using something like Sta-Soft Fro, or something that I've mixed together, then I will spray it all over my head. If it's something of a thicker consistency (like Wave Nouveau), I will section my hair and apply it that way.

I seal mostly with Coconut oil, but last night I sealed with shea butter (loved it).

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I part my hair in sections

I doubt just running my fingers through my hair will adequately moisturize it. How do you make sure the ng is moisturized? What about the ends? I guess if you don't wanna weigh your hair down while wearing it flatironed or something. I couldn't imagine doing it daily over an extended period of time because it doesn't seem that the moisturizer will reach every strand :perplexed

SimpleKomplexity

When I first started my regimen I just washed and afterwards I put in a little leave in, a dime amount or ORS Olive Oil in the Jar sealed with a dime amount of olive oil and then rollerset. Then every night past that I would put a quarter amount of olive oil in my hands and run it through my hair and seal with olive oil

classylayd

When I first get a relaxer I would just run my fingers through my hair with a moisturizer. Now that I'm 23 weeks post I moisturize and seal in sections. That is the only way to make sure my ng is moisturized.

snillohsss

I wear my hair in braidouts...and I do a lot of braids...so each braid section I use Elasta QP and seal with coconut oil.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I spray my ponytail with a water based moisturizer. No parting or combing until the next wash.

La Colocha

I part my hair in 8 to 10 sections. Put my leave in on each section and then seal each section with a butter or oil. I have started to smooth the product in from root to tip. I take the product and emulsify it in my palms and put a section of hair inbetween both hands and smooth all the way down. Kind of like using my hands like a flat iron and it has helped me alot.

LaidBak

I part my hair in 1 inch sections and apply a water based moisturizer like it was a relaxer. The more NG I have the thicker I apply it. Its the ONLY way I can ensure that my NG is moisturized and thus, the only way I can stretch my relaxers w/o breakage. Then I apply a light layer of moisturizer to my length and ends. I just recently figured out that this is what works for me. I only seal my ends and my edges with oil.

bedazzled

I put my hair in four sections to six sections just because i noticed after running it through my hair esp. when im 8+ weeks relaxed, I dont get anything in the middle where the thickness has taken over..so ill moisture with my aloe vera + glycerin + rosewater mix, seal with coconut oil & then double seal with a cream moisturizer that has petroleum in it or vaseline. I noticed that the coconut oil doesnt seal all of the moisture in and by the end of the day i will be dry so when i seal everything in with a cream or thick petroleum base..it really keeps my hair moisturized and sometimes I will only have to moisturize every other day. And vaseline/petroleum is a GOOD SEALER.

Stella B.

I finger comb, detangle, moisturize, and seal once in the morning, and then again before I go to bed. I lightly spray my hair with distilled water first, then use my fingers to section hair into 4 sections. I let my hair just sit damp for a few minutes before I apply a pea sized drop of moisturizer to each section, paying close attention to the underside and the middle of each part while smoothing from root to tip with my hands. Last, I put a few drops of coconut oil on the bottom 2 inches, loosely clip the hair back and let it dry before styling. For smoother edges while styling and new growth, I will apply a little castor oil or unpetroleum jelly to my edges and lightly brush back for a nice sheen! :drunk: This encourages my edges to lay down, and behave better!!

Melissa-jane

When I first get a relaxer I would just run my fingers through my hair with a moisturizer. Now that I'm 23 weeks post I moisturize and seal in sections. That is the only way to make sure my ng is moisturized.

sometimes people say that you should only do your ends, i'm confused:drunk:

Ladybug33

Eureka!!!!

Its so funny how the simplest things make a lightbulb go off in your head.

DUHHHHH..:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

If I want to stretch out my relaxer and avoid breakage. Sectioning and Parting when moisturizing will help greatly.:yep:

My new growth in the middle is always sooooo dry. I always just slap moisturizer on the top of my hair and smooth into a bun.

Thanks for starting this thread.

Eureka!!!!

Its so funny how the simplest things make a lightbulb go off in your head.

DUHHHHH..:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

If I want to stretch out my relaxer and avoid breakage. Sectioning and Parting when moisturizing will help greatly.:yep:

My new growth in the middle is always sooooo dry. I always just slap moisturizer on the top of my hair and smooth into a bun.

Thanks for starting this thread.

Funny thing is I was told a stylist not to even touch the ng. I was having so much breakage and each time I got a touch up they say my hair is breaking because I need a touch up. I was never told to keep it moisturized (which makes so much sense). If it wasn’t for looking at Tiffers how to photos I would still have the same problems…I dry broken mess. Thanks Tiffers. :hug2:

Kerryann

part moisturize scalp and then seal. prior to joining this forum i never moisturize now i finish a jar quick lol

2themax

After washing I immediately apply Lustre Silk Mega Moisturizer especially on my ends and put the remaining amount on the rest of my hair. Right afterwards, I apply 100% Coconut Oil in the same places to seal in the moisturizer. Then I let my hair dry naturally -- no heat since it's currently relaxed. My hair just loves it!

WantNatural

I run moisturizer through my hair with my hands, then finger part down the middle and apply more moisturizer to the middle of my crown, which gets dry. I use HE LTR and olive oil on my edges, nape, and ends, and then brush my nape and edges lightly to help tame them . I really only seal the length of my hair with oil after I wash. I cowash about 4x a week. I'm 11 1/2 weeks post though, so I may begin sectioning soon. But so far my NG is very soft and moisturized.

quasimodi

Well, if I'm in a hurry (which I usually am :rolleyes:). I'll just spritz my entire head with my water-based tea, aloe vera gel, and essential oil moisturizer. At night, when there's more time, I dampen my hair. Section and apply the moisturizer, mostly to my ends. Then I'll seal with whatever oil I have on hand. I'm trying to get rid of a lot of the oild I've bought. :yep:

CurlyMoo

I usually moisturize in twists and do it by section. Spritz with water, add leave-in conditioner and oil with castor oil or Vatika oil. I alternate, between using leave-in and just using oil after I spritz with water. I sometimes mix my cheapy conditioner with castor oil after I shampoo and just leave it in and seal with Vatika oil and braid for bed.

DarkHair

It depends on how much new growth I have. After a wash, I run my hands through my hair. I found out that MY key is to moisturize my new growth separately (if there's an adequate amount). At that point, I have to part my hair and apply Elasta QP Mango Butter to my roots. I then have to brush it through, apply a little bit of coconut oil, and tie it down with a scarf (if there's new growth). This gives my hair a great texture and my hair looks 'sane'.