What does Shea Butter do for the hair?

Honey6928215

I have read on this board a few times that the ladies here put shea butter on their hair. With it being thick and greasy what does it really do? How does the hair benefit? Just curious...

MeccaMedinah

It keeps my hair moist & soft without being greasy. I usually mix it with
100% aloe vera gel. I recently whipped my shea butter with a hand mixer & it's a lot lighter.

natstar

I agree w/Mecca -it keeps it soft and moisturized without greasiness. A little does go along way but if you do put more on there is no problem with it absorbing into the hair, I like it a lot for my natural hair and it is practically the only thing I use for moisturizing besides coconut oil. Highly reccommend it and for the amount u get its cheap too. I order from Nasabb's by the way.

Spidergul

divine said:
All it does for me is just drop my curls and make them extra sticky....

The same here. Now I use it on my daughters hair and it works very well on her.

atl_mulattamami

yea same here...it makes my hair feel greasy and dry at the same time...like it's doing nothing but sitting on top of it...ive tried applying it to wet, damp, and dry hair and i get the same result each time

Angelicus

I put shea butter on my ends when I have a twistout style. I don't use it for rollersetting. When I do my protective style, I put a shea butter mix on my ends. The tips of my hair barely have splits because of this.

Irresistible

I just learned again, just how much Shea Butter can quench thirsty hair. Ive been on and off with the Shea Butter, now I'm on again LOL

LiqueXX

I love using unrefined shea butter on my ends when I am bunning. I also use it as a moisturizer on dry hair. I also buy mine from Nasabb's.

Diane71

I hate shea butter on my hair. It dries it out and creates tangles in my hair. I did a shea butter treatment on my hair about 2 years ago and I spent 3 hours trying to detangle my hair afterwards, so no more shea butter. But, I absolutely love shea butter on my skin, Aaaaah, so soft and moisturized, especially after a hot shower, ok let me stop.

Current style: Cornrows(no extensions) for 6 weeks...hopefully.
Challenges: MTG challenge for 6 weeks.
Hair goal for 2005: 5 inches past brastrap by December.

lisajames96

Honey6928215 I love using shea butter and coconut oil on my hair. As someone said "a little" goes along way. I put it on all my hair. The coconut oil just goes on the ends most of the time. No, my hair isn't always super bouncy, but it still keeps curls nicely and not weighed down. Hope you can see the pic below(pay no attention to the double chin :eek: ;) )

lisa

Last edited:

Honey6928215

Thanks, guys for the response. I have tried sheA butter from nasabb. Eventhough I been using it on my skin I wanted to try it on my hair. After combing it out I put some on my hair especially the ends and I love how it felt the next morning.

Shatani

cookie507 said:
yea same here...it makes my hair feel greasy and dry at the same time...like it's doing nothing but sitting on top of it...ive tried applying it to wet, damp, and dry hair and i get the same result each time
that was the effect i got too before i started whipping it....when i whip it, even if i dont add oils, the consistency is SO much better....and i think when its lighter, its more easily absorbed into my hair....

i like it because im lazy! i can moisturize with shea butter and not have to worry about moisture for the next 3-4 days....

Shatani

Irresistible said:
I just learned again, just how much Shea Butter can quench thirsty hair. Ive been on and off with the Shea Butter, now I'm on again LOL
i remeber a while back you did this thing with 911 and shea butter and you were RAVING about it!!! ive been meaning to pick up some 911 ever since then!