Can I Condition wash Braid Extensions?

Indigo's Hair

Just wondering....has anyone condition wash or deep condition their hair while in braid extensions? I reeeeallllly would like to do that while I am in my braids. When I don't have braids, I condition wash a couple of times a week and deep condition once a week and I MISS that.

So, ladies, have any of you deep condition or condition wash while in braid extensions? If so, how did your hair turn out? Was there a lot of buildup when you took the braids out?

Nonie

I am in braids and wash 2-3 times a week. I DC whenever I feel like it. I don't have build-up coz I'm that weirdo who never uses leave-ins when in braids. But I also do the braids myself so I touch them up as I get new growth - or as they get frizzy - thus not giving the hair a chance to mat up or loc. My hair does well with this method. The frequent washes/DC's keep it moisturized. I also baggy every night.

RubyWoo

Firstly, I do the crown and glory braid regimen. The only thing I do differently is deep condition(with heat) my braids once a week. When I take out my braids, they're very moisturized and strong and there isn't too much buildup. I do believe the buildup is from the braidspray though since I use it every day and spray my roots in the process.The one thing I make sure to do is that I don't apply conditioner on my roots or near the top of the braids so that conditioner dosen't get trapped at the root of the braid. I do that to make sure I don't get buildup. The one time I did that, it took forever to get the conditioner out because it just wouldn't come out. It came out eventually but it was more trouble than what it was worth. HTH!

Indigo's Hair

Thank you Nonie and Nixx,

Do you apply the conditioner straight to your extensions or do you dilute the conditioner first. I usually use ORS Replenishing Paks to deep condition every week; but, since I have been in braids I cut that out of regimen but I feel my hair will miss it so I want to continue deep conditioning with ORS under a heat cap for 1 hour. So, do you dilute your conditioner with water?

Don't do it. The conditioner gets trapped in the braids and product build up will make your hair smell. Later on when you take your hair down it will be gummy along the new growth. You may loose additional hair removing the build up. Use a small amount of shampoo preferably diluted in a cup and poured over your scalp. Lather, rinse and repeat if necessary. Squeeze dry your braid and use a leave-in conditioner or leave in braid spray to keep your hair and scalp moisturized.

RubyWoo

Indigo's Hair said:
Thank you Nonie and Nixx,

Do you apply the conditioner straight to your extensions or do you dilute the conditioner first. I usually use ORS Replenishing Paks to deep condition every week; but, since I have been in braids I cut that out of regimen but I feel my hair will miss it so I want to continue deep conditioning with ORS under a heat cap for 1 hour. So, do you dilute your conditioner with water?

Yes I apply the conditioner directly to the shaft of the braids. I dilute my conditioner and it becomes a watery yet still creamy consistency. I apply by putting the conditioner on the braids and then squeezing the conditioner into the braids to ensure penetration to my real hair. As I said before, I don't apply conditioner to the roots or the base of the braids due to possible buildup. Buildup from the conditioner can be prevented. I wouldn't recommend deep conditioning if I had problems or breakage and I had neither.

ETA: I just wanted to make note that when I was referring to having difficulties getting the conditioner out in my previous post, I wasn't referring to build up. I was referring to the difficulty rinsing out the conditioner after a deep conditioning session. Just wanted to make that clear.

Last edited: