What temperature is a "safe"temp when flat ironing?

Misshairdiva

I bought a silver ionic flat iron today. The temp goes from 300 to 450. Using a leave in like fermadyl, what is a safe temp to flat iron hair?

BlackMasterPiece

From my experience I say stay within the 300's even 395 is fine I think as soon as you go in the 400 territory you're really playing rush and roulette....I was doing just fine an dandy when I stayed in the 300 neighborhood when I got a "fancy" new iron that went to 420 I started to have alot of issues with split ends :nono:

shtow

I agree BMP. I flat iron at 360 but I am relaxed. I'd probably use a higher temp if I were natural. Be sure to use a heat protectant!

LushLox

If you're going to use it at a high temperature try just to do one pass. Not much point in setting it at a low heat and doing multiple passes through the hair.

Misshairdiva

Thanks ladies soooo very much! I will only be flat ironing my hair a few times a year, but when I do I dont want to burn it all out! Thanks again for all your helpful post, that's why I LUV LUV LUV LHCF!!!

NikStarrr

I go 400 degrees for maximum results with no damage, and it also helps me not to have to swipe it more than once or twice.

By the way, you have beautiful hair!

Celestial

I bought a silver ionic flat iron today. The temp goes from 300 to 450. Using a leave in like fermadyl, what is a safe temp to flat iron hair?

Sometimes you can't follow the instructions. I know the flat iron I bought said for very think curly hair to use 425-450 degrees. That is way overly hot for nappy heads, but I think it has a lot to do with the flat iron and how well you or someone else can straighten the hair.