Why use S-curl activator moisturizer?

RabiaElaine

I have noticed from reading the boards that a lot of you use S-curl activator or moisturizer, I was just wondering why it should be used on relaxed hair? What has it done for your hair? Exactly which brand are you using? How do you use it? Thanks for the info.

ngaa

well i'm not a relaxed head but i belive both relaxed heads and natural haired sisters use it for the same reason which is to moisturise the hair. it works particularly well because its made usin glyceryn which is a humectant (product that draws moisture to the hair and so keeps it moisturised) and hair is less likely to break if its got the right moisture balance...

i have reall ydry hair and since usin it the dryness is now almost non-existant and it had definatly helped me to keep more length coz i'm growin my hair out at the moment and am usin braids to do so and am usin the s curl activator in place of the braid spray and have noticed unelivable softness wit my hair and the knots jus slid thru my hair wen i take the braids out coz the hair is sooooo soft
if not in braids i wash my hair and apply it to my hair and for the rest of the day my hair stays soft and really nice
the relaxed ppl on the board use it on days wen they have they hair up to moisturise thir ends and also to pat the hair down

adrienne0914

i use S-Curl because i like the fact that it doesn't have much smell. i think ANY curl activator will do in keeping the hair moisturized and prevent breakage. that's why i use it. i actually prefer World of Curls gel more right now because it's heavier.

adrienne

p.s. happy belated birthday!

hunnybunny81

Adrienne, exactly how do you use it..on wet hair? dry? when u have it in a ponytail? do you use it daily? Sorry for so many questions!!!

adrienne0914

no problem about the questions, girl.

i usually use curl activator on wet hair before i put it in the bun/fonytail. what i do is wash and condition, and towel dry. then i put on my leave-in conditioner. then i have a mix of half activator/half gel in a container. i put that all over my hair, but especially on the ends. i put my hair in a ponytail. then i put vaseline on just the ends. then i braid it, fold over and put a baggie on it. then i put a cutoff stocking, and finally the drawstring ponytail. i leave my hair like that all week. at night, i take the ponytail off. in the morning, i put more of my gel mix on my hair and smooth it down with a brush, then put the drawstring ponytail back on. i don't take my hair down or comb all week.

RabiaElaine

Thanks for the birthday wish. And also thanks for the info on s-curl. Do you ever put the s-curl on your hair when you wear it out?

Kiadodie

I just wanted to add something
...a great mixture with the S-Curl is the Elasta Mango Butter. After washing my hair, I towel dry it and then spray some S-Curl and comb it and then put some Mango Butter and put it in a ponytail..it drys soooo shiny and soft. These two work great together

G

Adrienne, I just have 2 questions.

Is the Gel moisturizing or only when mixed with the Scurl?

When you take it down, do you wash first or comb out?

OK sorry make that 3,
when you do take it down, is there a lot of shedding?

adrienne0914

rabia, the last time i did my hair myself, i sprayed the S-Curl on it before blow drying. it worked well. i don't know how much of a heat protectant it is, but i was using it for the moisture benefits. i'd probably use some of both next time. once it's dry, i wouldn't use more. that's why i don't wear my hair down much... i hate applying anything that will weigh it down. so it tends to be dry, which ain't good.

kia, i'll have to try that mix. i have the mango butter but have yet to use it. i've been loving the recovery so much!!

mindymouse, sorry i was late reading your questions. i responded to them via PM though.

Trinity1

I bought the S-curl and have been using it on my twist/braid outs and needless to say it make the braid outs 10 times softer and the curls more defined and shinier and this is 6 weeks post relaxer. I can just imagine on what it will do for my braidout when its freshly relaxed. Anyway can this product be used for straight styles too or is it too heavy?

Thanks,
Tee

Ennyaa

I'm not the expert here but I think it might not work too well with straight styles. At least not if you really want it to blow in the wind. It might make the hair just a little to heavy. Just my opinion.

Allandra

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Tee Tee said:
Anyway can this product be used for straight styles too or is it too heavy?

[/ QUOTE ]
IMO, it's too heavy for straight styles (like wearing your hair in a wrap or something similar). It would probably make a straight style sit still and not move at all.

adrienne0914

thursdaygirl, i love the Elasta QP Recovery Oil Moisturizer. i use it as my leave-in.

tee tee, i also agree that it's too heavy to use on the hair once it's dried. it does work when sprayed on the hair before blow drying or roller setting though.

KathyMay

I love to spray S curl on my hair or anything in a spray bottle for that matter maybe it is because I used to have a Jheri Curl.

moneychaser

[ QUOTE ]
KathyMay said:
I love to spray S curl on my hair or anything in a spray bottle for that matter maybe it is because I used to have a Jheri Curl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shayla

[ QUOTE ]
Denali03 said:
[ QUOTE ]
KathyMay said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lee

I have put myself on a S-curl challege for one month. Every moring and night I apply the S-curl on my ends only. It has helped my dry frizzy ends tremendously. I have acheived wonderful results. The S-curl also helps my ends during air drying time.

kaykay

My hair dresser told me that since I was using a curl activater. It was making my already permed hair along with my new growth curl up. Is this possible because I thought that the only way that it could make it curl up was if I had a jherri curl or something?