FINE HAIR Ladies that use or have used HENNA

How do you feel about Henna treatments

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gn1g

Please vote and tell me a bit about your experience. I am considering henna to cover gray along my hairline. I know that henna is really really permenant in that you cannot color over it with store bought color, therefore I am relying heavily on your experiences.

Also, if you can let me know how you mixed it.

Last edited:

Radianthealth

I have fine hair and I have used Henna. I liked it enough, but it was just like a protein treatment for me. It is very messy so I only did it twice and have moved on. I still have some henna left over so I may use it up:ohwell:

If it is something you would enjoy doing I say go for it. It reminded me of a protein treatment that made my hair a deeper more consistent dark brown.

Lavendar

Henna covers gray really well for some. Once they are covered the color generally doesn't fade. They will look like coppery highlights in your hair. How often you touch up depends on your preference and how fast your hair grows. I have heard of ladies applying color over henna, however. I'm not totally sure about permanent color, but some have mentioned semi-permanent and rinses over henna and did not have any problems. I guess as long as you are using BAQ henna you will be okay, but I haven't tried it. I will say that some naturals may have a harder time covering gray because natural hair isn't as porous as relaxed hair, so it doesn't take up the color as well. I had a hard time covering my sister's natural gray. The first time they turned yellow and she was not pleased. Each time it takes it up a little more, but it has never gotten as dark and coppery as mine. I mix henna with shikakai and sometimes other herbs, herb tea, and EOs. My full recipe is in my fotki journal if you care to take a look. Blessings on your henna journey!;)

eajaye2u

Hello-IMO you really have to love it to go thru the hassel. I do. Miss Dlewis got me so hooked on the amla oil, (Miss Honeydew got me hooked on this henna thing), that its what i mix my indigo with and abt a tablespoon of distilled water with some sea salt disovled in it. I make it pastey - about 200 grms. I like to add in a teaspoon of hibiscus powder for strenght. apply it like its perm begining in the back. What a mess. Then i sit for 4 hours and rinse out, poo, and moisturizing DC. After all that hassel I am a happy camper. The gray (really white hair) is gone. And it looks like my strands are thicker. Now I only do it once every 6-7 weeks to catch the ng. When i started out I did henna first and then put indigo on top the following week. Did that for about 4 weeks. Now I am straight indigo. But i always pre-poo overnight with amla. The indigo kills a day but its worth it to me. HTH

FlawedBeauty

i used the clear henna a while back. it was great! just a pain in the arse to get out and having fine hair makes it that much harder cuz u gotta be careful not ro rip all ur hair out. it made my hair shiny and it appeared thicker. good for strength and thickness, def not moisture tho. had to follow up with a very good moisturizing condish.

i have fine hair and i love henna, my strands are stronger, my hair has shine and

i don't experience the problems with dryness or rinsing it out

my henna mix is really simple henna, pectin, water and little citric acid

pectin makes henna easier to rinse out, after rinsing with water, i saturate my hair a VO5 conditioner, then i squeeze the excess conditoner out to remove the remaining bits of henna, then i rinse the conditoner out, then i shampoo and deep condition

I'm fine haired and use henna. I actually started using casia b/c I didn't want to color my hair at first. But I did my first henna and indigo treatment recently and I will continue to do this from now on. My hair feels stronger and I see less breakage already. It's a keeper, however I will probably only do it once a month.

My Henna Mix:
-BAQ Jamilla henna (hennasooq)
-water
-cheapy conditioner
-olive oil

HERicane10

I love using my henna/indigo mix. It makes my hair stronger IMMEDIATELY and SUPER black. My hair feels "heavier" since using henna. I used to do 1x per week but now I do 1-2x per month (less than more) I LOOOVE black hair, so Serica told me to try a 1-henna and 2-indigo routine! So that's what I've switched too! But I say the time (which lessens with experience, takes me 20-25 minutes from mix to hair + 1 hr "marinate") AND the results are WELL WORTH THE EFFORT! Go for it!

Mahalialee4

eajaye2u said:
Hello-IMO you really have to love it to go thru the hassel. I do. Miss Dlewis got me so hooked on the amla oil, (Miss Honeydew got me hooked on this henna thing), that its what i mix my indigo with and abt a tablespoon of distilled water with some sea salt disovled in it. I make it pastey - about 200 grms. I like to add in a teaspoon of hibiscus powder for strenght. apply it like its perm begining in the back. What a mess. Then i sit for 4 hours and rinse out, poo, and moisturizing DC. After all that hassel I am a happy camper. The gray (really white hair) is gone. And it looks like my strands are thicker. Now I only do it once every 6-7 weeks to catch the ng. When i started out I did henna first and then put indigo on top the following week. Did that for about 4 weeks. Now I am straight indigo. But i always pre-poo overnight with amla. The indigo kills a day but its worth it to me. HTH
Do you find just using the Indigo now keeps your hair really black or blue black? What color is the white hair now? Thanks for reply. bonjour

ShiShiPooPoo

I need a lot of moral support to try Henna..I don't know why I'm scarred, I've done everything else to my hair...

Mahalialee4

Babyfine Hair Loves Henna
I use mine with black walnut powder if I want brownish hair and do drab down the reddishness of the henna or I use Indigo to get really black hair. For Hightlights, I just use henna. Great detangler.
This pic still has some henna highlights on the areas of my hair that are lighter than the rest. bonjour

Last edited:

Mahalialee4

HERicane10 said:
I love using my henna/indigo mix. It makes my hair stronger IMMEDIATELY and SUPER black. My hair feels "heavier" since using henna. I used to do 1x per week but now I do 1-2x per month (less than more) I LOOOVE black hair, so Serica told me to try a 1-henna and 2-indigo routine! So that's what I've switched too! But I say the time (which lessens with experience, takes me 20-25 minutes from mix to hair + 1 hr "marinate") AND the results are WELL WORTH THE EFFORT! Go for it!
I have to try that double Indigo routine. I have to order some more. I live here in Canada. Does anyone have a Canadian address for some good Indigo for the hair? Here is my hair with Henna and Black walnut powder. and the new growth is natural color. The very bottom is Indigo over henna. I love Black Black hair!!!

HERicane10

Mahalialee4 said:
I have to try that double Indigo routine. I have to order some more. I live here in Canada. Does anyone have a Canadian address for some good Indigo for the hair? Here is my hair with Henna and Black walnut powder. and the new growth is natural color. The very bottom is Indigo over henna. I love Black Black hair!!!

If you really like black hair....I think you'll love that routine too! You know Serica knows all about indigo, just look at her gorgeous hair!;)

Softresses

I have very fine hair and I LOVE Henna! It makes my hair extremely strong and even thickens up the strands. I love the subtle color it gives my hair as well. When mixing you can use yogurt, pectin or conditioner, they all work. I love conditioner, or yogurt the best. The pectin makes for a very easy rinse out.

I now mix my henna with conditioner and a spoon of olive oil and heat it a little or use a little hot water in the mix.

Be sure to rinse EXTREMELY well then rinse again, and deep condition.

Softresses

Blackberry7

There's a very informative article about using henna by a long time user in the USeeStyle "health and beauty" section.

Last edited:

gn1g

After you mix it how long do you have to let it sit? I thought it took about a day? I ask the lady if she could do my hair at the salon where I get my eyebrows threaded and she said I will mix it an have it ready for you in about an hour!!

Mahalialee4 said:

Try Hennasooq. She ships from Canada. I buy my henna and cassia from hennasooq. Go to www.hennasooq.com or search for hennasooq on the board. She is very helpful with any questions you may have!!!!

amina kamal

I have thin 4a strands and I think that henna is nice but the effect wasn't long lasting. It seems like something that will have to be done continuously over time. Also, I actually prefer my natural 1b/2 hair color.

gn1g

gosh I am scared to henna. On another note finding information on henna is hard, you have to research for hours/days. We need a seperate board just for color/henna.

KiniKakes

amina kamal said:
I have thin 4a strands and I think that henna is nice but the effect wasn't long lasting. It seems like something that will have to be done continuously over time.

I concur. :)

I love the effects of Henna. I really do! Definitely makes my hair appear thicker than it really is. However, the thickness is not long lasting, and it is sooo messy and hard to clean up from my bathroom.

I try to do it on a regular basis (once a week, or once every other week) but sometimes i just dont have the energy to go thru the whole process.

Mahalialee4

The least messy way to apply Henna is to pour it into an old squeeze mustard bottle. A good size one. Then you just part your hair and squeeze. Also pick up one of those shampoo capes from a BSS or a drugstore. (the black or brown long ones. Put an old plastic tablecloth on the floor and when you are done, just dump the cape onto the plastic table cloth and take it and hose them down somewhere. But the squeeze bottle eliminates a lot of plopping and splashing and allows you to control the application and the keep cleaner because the mustard bottles have those no drip plastic lips in the hole of the bottle... Hope this helps. bonjour

gn1g

Mahalialee4 said:
The least messy way to apply Henna is to pour it into an old squeeze mustard bottle. A good size one. Then you just part your hair and squeeze. Also pick up one of those shampoo capes from a BSS or a drugstore. (the black or brown long ones. Put an old plastic tablecloth on the floor and when you are done, just dump the cape onto the plastic table cloth and take it and hose them down somewhere. But the squeeze bottle eliminates a lot of plopping and splashing and allows you to control the application and the keep cleaner because the mustard bottles have those no drip plastic lips in the hole of the bottle... Hope this helps. bonjour

excellent tip.

gn1g

Mahalialee4 said:
excellent tips.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Mahalialee4 said:

I have been using henna and indigo since February and love the results. I love this tip best of all! Though I don't have a problem with messiness, I like the idea of using the squeeze mustard bottle to control the application. GREAT idea.