What are alternatives to wrapping my hair at night?

lveurslf

Can someone help me? I've wrapped my hair at night since a little girl and I want to find something new that won't thin my hair out.

tuffCOOKiE

Pin curling? but it doesnt really help if you want the straight look. I'm actually looking for an answer myself..

Jewell

Sometimes I tie a scarf around the front and let the back hang out to keep the ends straight, but usually I put it in a bun and put 2 Good Day Hair Pins in there to keep it in place. Then I tie it up and go to sleep. I usually wear my hair in a bun everyday anyway. Wrapping began to thin my hair too. My hair is thicker now than it has been in a long time.

Last edited:

Caramela

If your hair is long enough, put it in a loose high ponytail with an ouchless, and put some rollers in the ponytail. Cover with a satin bonnet. In the morning, let it all down.

Lady_Lioness

Caramela said:
If your hair is long enough, put it in a loose high ponytail with an ouchless, and put some rollers in the ponytail. Cover with a satin bonnet. In the morning, let it all down.

This is exactly what I usually do...but instead of a high ponytail...mines is a low one.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I learned a alternate to wrapping from a member here. Its called the mowhawk set. You take 3 or 4 rollers (jumbo if your hair is long), make horizontal parts and roll all the hair in each section on one roller. When finished it should look like a mohawk. Then you cover with a scarf. When you take the rollers down you can finger comb into place. This set leaves you with more body than a wrap and just enough bend to the ends to look nice. I think DatJerseyDyme (sp) is the creator of this set. Hopefully she will join in with a few tips.

Caramela

Lady_Lioness said:
This is exactly what I usually do...but instead of a high ponytail...mines is a low one.

I just find it easier to sleep if I put the pony up high. If it's on top of your head you can lay on your back, or either side of your head without the discomfort of the rollers.

lala

My method: I comb my hair back (sometimes I even part it down the middle), loosely twist it a few times, and then pin it to the front of my hairline. I then put on my scarf and remove the pin. This keeps my hair straight and it's easy to style the next day, even if you don't wear a protective style.

J

JenniferMD

I'll do one french braid going back; two plaits to the side or pin curls.

Mizani_Mrs

I do a "double-wrap" which is less stressful on your hair and doesn't make your hair do the 'gangsta 'lean'. I think Sylver does it also and she said she describes it in her journal. Basically you comb your hair to the back and you part down the center. then you smooth both sections around your head and they cross in the back. put scarf on. In the morning, just run your comb thru the back part 3 times and you are ready to go.... ends have a bump to them. U can search for the topic if you are interested....

Lady_Lioness

Caramela said:
I just find it easier to sleep if I put the pony up high. If it's on top of your head you can lay on your back, or either side of your head without the discomfort of the rollers.

I'm gonna have to try that...I sleep on my side but I still get a little discomfort from the rollers...Interesting, I'll try it tonight.

DatJerseyDyme

simplycee said:
I learned a alternate to wrapping from a member here. Its called the mowhawk set. You take 3 or 4 rollers (jumbo if your hair is long), make horizontal parts and roll all the hair in each section on one roller. When finished it should look like a mohawk. Then you cover with a scarf. When you take the rollers down you can finger comb into place. This set leaves you with more body than a wrap and just enough bend to the ends to look nice. I think DatJerseyDyme (sp) is the creator of this set. Hopefully she will join in with a few tips.

Yes, I do this. Simplycee pretty much covered it! There are pics of it here:

http://public.fotki.com/datjerseydyme

calliope

DJD,

I saw your folder and my jaw just dropped! You have the most gorgeous hair ever!!!!! Can I please ask what you moisterize that mane with? Also, do you always do the mohawk for night time?

DatJerseyDyme

calliope said:
DJD,

I saw your folder and my jaw just dropped! You have the most gorgeous hair ever!!!!! Can I please ask what you moisterize that mane with? Also, do you always do the mohawk for night time?

Thanks for the compliment..I must say I've been slacking on the hair lately, but I usually moisturize with elasta qp mango butter, WGO, Aloe Vera Gel, coconut oil - or any combination of them. I usually wear my hair airdried in a bun or braidout, but when it is down, I try to do it everynight. Sometimes I get too tired!

Thanks again :)

blackbarbie

simplycee said:

I do something similar to the mohawk set, but I just make one horizontal part and take each section up and twist it to do a pin curl. I spray something on it (Surge is good) to keep it moisturized, but to mainly give it something to "set" it slightly so I can have a little curl. (make sure you don't spary too much on it to get it too wet, just a little moisture). I have one section that high on the top of my head and one section that's low in the back. I also tie a satin scarf around the edges to make sure my edges stay down, then I put a satin bonnet on top of my head and I am ready. If I have done a roller set, I am able to keep curls much longer with this method. If I have flat ironed my hair, it takes a little more effort to get a curl. I guess with the roller set, the hair "remembers" the curl or something.:confused:

lveurslf

Thanks everybody for the tips. DJD- what's the pw for your fotki? I looked in your profile and didn't see it.

Chromia

Mizani_Mrs said:
I do a "double-wrap" which is less stressful on your hair and doesn't make your hair do the 'gangsta 'lean'. I think Sylver does it also and she said she describes it in her journal. Basically you comb your hair to the back and you part down the center. then you smooth both sections around your head and they cross in the back. put scarf on. In the morning, just run your comb thru the back part 3 times and you are ready to go.... ends have a bump to them. U can search for the topic if you are interested....

This is pretty much what I've been doing for about 4 years. I don't do the center part, but I cross the 2 sections in the back. I tie a silk scarf over it.