Drinking and relaxing...

MindTwister

Hey y'all... I finally decided on a box perm to use for my next relaxer. I went to Sally's and got the ORS Olive Oil. Thing is, I am puzzled about something that is written on the instructions sheet. It says not to drink coffee or any hot drinks before relaxing. Ok can someone please explain why not? What's the link between a hot drink and the application of a relaxer?

Tracy

I would imagine raising the body temperature (tho I have to say I'm guessing and I've never seen this before) with a hot drink might cause faster processing (heat speeds up chemical reactions) of the relaxer and could cause you to leave it on longer than you need to given the expedited process.

Probably throws off the educated guess as to the maximum application and smoothing times for the person applying.

Just a guess...

Angelicus

I dont know about the hot drinks but Caffiene (and also acidic drinks such as orange juice) and relaxers do not mix (trust me, I have just become a victim of this). caffiene drinks (and acidic ones too) prior to relaxing causes scalp burns during relaxing process. I am not a chemist so I dont know the E=MC^2 of it all.

candibaby

Well I did the search and here's all I could really find..

from growafrohairlong.com:
Question: My hair breaks off every time it grows and inch. What could this be?

Answer: Your hair may not have enough moisture in the strands. You may need to deep condition your hair weekly. There could be excessive stress in our life. Stress dries out your hair and skin. Also there may be chemistry changes in your body, Other factors are: birth control pills, immune dificiency, change in medication, heavy medications, lack of important vitamin and minerals, poor food diet, <b>excessive coffee drinking</b>, excessive alcohol drinking, cigarette smoking, rough combing, using products that strip natural oils from your hair, Not shampooing your hair on a regular routine, Chlorine from the swimming pool, Certain no-lye relaxers, bleaching and dyeing the hair frequently, applying a relaxer over an older relaxer instead of just the new growth. Leaving a relaxer on your hair too long.

that was through about 135 results, but if i find something else i'll post it.

Tracy

If all this is true I should have no hair...

I'm a coffee drinking, cigarette smoking, vodka guzzling, junk food eating, stress ball....

MindTwister

ha ha ha Tracy...But ur theory might be right...
Anky thanks for the input...
This is just weird to me and it is the first time that I hear something like that. Just when you thought you knew it all when it comes to relaxers someone has to come up with some new not understandable(sp?) thing... lool When will we be done learning?

bimbabe

And still you have great hair!

I think it is all about your body- you have to know what is best for you. Test it out and see what works.

MindTwister

I actually rarely drink coffee... I think I might make it a mission to find out what is the link between these two thing... shoot it's not like I got anything else to do with my life after my finals are over loool
If any of you finds the answer before me please let me know

inthepink

A stylist once told me about not drinking citrus drinks b/c it could cause burning but I never tested that out.

alliyah4eva203

[ QUOTE ]
cutebajangirl said:
I really thougt this thread was gonna be about a drunk stylist wanting to relax your hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

lonei

I have been told that its due to the fact that a hot drink/sweating opens up the pores. I dont know if this implys that the relaxer is more prone to getting into your blood stream or that it wont take properly, but I do know that they suggest that you go under a cool dryer before you relax if you have been sweating.

pooh123

A beautician once told me that drinking a lot of acidic drinks like orange juice will cause your retouch not to straighten your hair properly. I don't know how true that is.

pooh123

TrustMeLove

This is all really good to know, but I can remember mainy times where i was just sweating before i got a perm, or drinking a soda while waiting for my perm.

Thanks. Anything to keep me protected from the relaxer chemicals is coo with me.

-Faye

moneychaser

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:

I'm a coffee drinking, cigarette smoking, vodka guzzling, junk food eating, stress ball....

[/ QUOTE ]
Cognac guzzler

Tracy

witha l'il hypnotic thrown in....I feel it girl....I feel it....

But you've clearly not had vanilla vodka and creme soda....yeah...i'm a drunk...so what.....

ok - back to your regularly scheduled programme...
Sorry for hi-jacking the thread girl...

For the record, I've always thought that whole "pores opening" thing is a very suspect theory. Your pores are hard pressed to "open" with topical application of something that has a certain temperature I can't imagine how they would do that from drinking something. Sounds like an old black folks' wives tale to me. Like walking barefoot on cold floors causes bad period cramps.

MindTwister

So many theories... But like Tracy said, it might just be old black folks' wives tales... But u never so I wont be drinking anything hot or any citrus drink before my touch-up next saturday... Dont wanna end up with a burnt scalp or anything of the sort..

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:

witha l'il hypnotic thrown in....I feel it girl....I feel it....

But you've clearly not had vanilla vodka and creme soda....yeah...i'm a drunk...so what.....

ok - back to your regularly scheduled programme...

[/ QUOTE ]

Tracy, you're too much!!!

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:

[/ QUOTE ]

You are my kinda girl!!! CHEERS!!