How long do you keep Micro Braids in?

shunemite

Ur in the right place, coz I've done it the right way and the wrong way. You really don't wanna keep them in longer than 8 weeks. If you do, which is what I did a few years ago, your hair will dread on you and you'll get these knots and severe matting. It took me the whole day and a toothpick to undo the knots. Some areas needed a safety pin. Also, for your edges, don't pull them back tightly or you'll lose your edges. The tension will be too much. If you can, I suggest getting your edges redone in a size larger than the rest of the braids if you see them hanging by a thread. Hth.

Shananyganz

It depends on how your hair is fairing and how well you keep up the style. Were these done by you or a stylist? I braid my own hair, so I can keep braids longer as I can re-braid at will. When I was going to a stylist for my braids, I think the longest I kept a braided style was a little over a month (I couldn't take the grown out edges).

It will differ for you, you might be able to go for a longer period of time, or a shorter period. I would aim for a month and a half and just see how it goes. HTH!

~S~

Xaragua

I can keep it for 8 to 11 weeks. but if i take it out at 8 weeks i have less knots than if i take it out a 11 weeks,

yasluvsme

I've never been able to keep braids in more than a month. But that's only because that's about the time that I start to miss seeing my hair.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
In the past I've done anywhere from 2 to 3.5 months. Just be careful- don't let them make the braids too tight, make sure you continue moisturizing your hair in the braids, and make sure you detangle properly before washing when you take the braids out

Nonie

Because of the questions you're asking, I get the feeling this might be your first time with them, or the first time you want to do things right. I would suggest you start by reading the braid regimen on this page: http://www.growafrohairlong.com/braidreg.html

I keep mine in forever, but I do my own and have been doing my own braids for over 20 years. So my regimen is rather extreme, but it works for me. I have had the braids I'm wearing since April 2009.

ConsiderCamille

I keep mine on for 2.5 months and at that point no matter how careful i've been I also have matting arounf the edges (especially near the nape). I know some ladies wear theirs in longer than that but it would not be my suggestion because your hair will start to dread. Good luck!

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
You can wear them for 2-3 months, just make sure to wash your at least once a month.

tricie

In the past I've done anywhere from 2 to 3.5 months. Just be careful- don't let them make the braids too tight, make sure you continue moisturizing your hair in the braids, and make sure you detangle properly before washing when you take the braids out

Ditto, Foxglove!

I have also had the edges (like the first four rows all the way around front to back) redone after about two months, and worn for them for a total of four months and didn't lose any hair (other than normal shedding) or my edges. Keep in mind, I took them out myself by unbraiding each one, which takes forever, but it's better than them combing them out...OUCH!

HTH!

Blue_Berry

Thank ladies, yeah she did do my braids tight, especially around my edges. My hair was in pain, but the next day it wasn't in pain anymore. I hope nothing bad happens to my edges and there is away to save them.