Twist outs and fine 4b hair

proudofmynaps

I know a lot of people think that 4b hair is thick and kinky but in my case it's not. My twist outs come out thin and measly looking. What are some tips to get a decent twist out.

What products should I use?

How many braids should I put in my hair? Is less better?

Can you post pictures of your twist outs.

TIA:grin:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I don't think it's really products, but the technique. I've used all types of different products for my twistouts and my hair can turn out pretty much the same. I have fine strands as well and if I don't do my twistouts right, they can come out looking puny and thin too.

What helps give my twistouts more volume is by twisting my hair while it is damp/airdried. Also, I get better results from flat twists than individual twists. I will do anywhere from 4 to 8 flat twists depending on how much definition I want.

I have several pics in my fotki album.

Hope that helps.

Poohbear

Okay, I decided to stop being lazy and logged into my fotki account so I can post pics for ya! :grin: All these pics are from this year 2012...

Here's a 6 flat twist out after taking out flexirods as well where I used just Mane N Tail Conditioner on dry hair:

Here's another 6 flat twist out using Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel on dry hair:

Here's a twistout I did using Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie on damp hair:

See, each twistout has a different look each time. But if I did a twistout on wet hair, it would not look so voluminous or uniform.

proudofmynaps

Okay, I decided to stop being lazy and logged into my fotki account so I can post pics for ya! :grin: All these pics are from this year 2012...

Here's a 6 flat twist out after taking out flexirods as well where I used just Mane N Tail Conditioner on dry hair:

Here's another 6 flat twist out using Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel on dry hair:

Here's a twistout I did using Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie on damp hair:

See, each twistout has a different look each time. But if I did a twistout on wet hair, it would not look so voluminous or uniform.[/Q

Poohbear Your hair looks good. I will have to check out your album and follow your steps.:grin:

faithVA

Your flat twist outs look really nice. When my hair gets longer I will have to get some advice.

natural2008

Poohbear said:
Also, I get better results from flat twists than individual twists. I will do anywhere from 4 to 8 flat twists depending on how much definition I want.

Hope that helps.

Poohbear- Girrrl I tried to do two strand single twist and try again and my hair comes hot horrible. Flat twist work best for me as well. I'm getting better at the twisting takes time to perfect.

Jetblackhair

Poohbear, Your flat twistouts look great! I really like the volume of the twists you used with the flexirods. I have a hard time flat twisting as my hair is so clingy, I can hear it popping & breaking during the process. It's really hard to keep my hair separated when I'm flat twisting.:ohwell:

Poohbear

Poohbear when I look at your hair it seems that you had a cut? Am I wrong ?
My hair doesn't fall down like that..
Krystle~Hime - Yes, I got a DevaCut back in February. And my last trim was in July after getting hair color. The last picture I posted was taken a couple of months ago.

Last edited:

faithVA

[USER=26676 said:
Jetblackhair[/USER];16778123]@Poohbear, Your flat twistouts look great! I really like the volume of the twists you used with the flexirods. I have a hard time flat twisting as my hair is so clingy, I can hear it popping & breaking during the process. It's really hard to keep my hair separated when I'm flat twisting.:ohwell:

My hair is the same way. I also don't end up with any waves when I flat twist. It usually just looks straight with a few bumps here and there. :nono: I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

MzSwift

To get bigger twistouts I had to do smedium twists and then separate them really well. They get bigger as the day goes on. Another trick I figured out was to use very little product to make them fluffier.

I can't get defined AND fluffy twistouts - I just don't have enough hair strands on my head for that. LoL

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
I know a lot of people think that 4b hair is thick and kinky but in my case it's not. My twist outs come out thin and measly looking. What are some tips to get a decent twist out.

What products should I use?

How many braids should I put in my hair? Is less better?

Can you post pictures of your twist outs.

TIA:grin:

I do it on dry hair.
I use Kera Care Twist and Define cream and a tiny bit of Ecostyler on my finger tips. I do quite a few twist. I don't count I just section in medium sections and twist until it's fully done.

Jetblackhair

faithVA, Me too! I hardly had any definition, nothing like my regular twistout. I'm going to try again, I will not be defeated, lol! I think next time though I will have to make sure my hair is smooth, cuticles closed, then maybe my hair won't be so clingy? I don't know.

OP, the longer I wear my twistout, the bigger it gets, so it looks like I have a lot of volume. I also use Shea Moisture Organic Yucca & Aloe Thickening Growth Milk which gives me some volume.