Where can I find Tracee Ellis Ross' Hair Regimen

Michelle79

Re: Where can I find Tracee Ellis Ross\' Hair Regimen

Girlfriend's Got Style!
By Laini Madhubuti, BET.com Staff Writer

Posted on Jan. 23, 2002 -- Meet Tracee Ellis Ross, a woman whose personality is much too big to fit on the small screen but without whom our Monday TV nights would be a lot smaller. We can't get enough of Joan, Ross' character on UPN's "Girlfriends." It's all about Joan's crazy sense of humor, her never ending/sometimes successful quest for love, and most of all (and most important), her fabulous clothes. On and off the screen, no one on network television can compete with Ms. Ross in the style department with her sense of elegance and originality. We just had to catch up with her to find out how her look comes together in front of and away from the camera. Plus, you guys told us you were dying to know how she cares for that big ole' healthy head of curly hair. We sat down with Tracee to talk about her daily beauty routine and her passion...clothes! Get the dish.

BET.com: Maintaining curly hair is almost a science. Our users are dying to know how you maintain your beautiful hair.

Tracee Ellis Ross: It's a long process; it's taken me years to figure out. Look at old pictures, look at old episodes of "Lyricist Lounge" on MTV if you have tapes, look on [Lifetime's] "The Dish," the hair was not the same. It's been a process to figure it out and it was a nightmare growing up.

BET.com: So, what exactly is your hair routine like?

TER: Once a week, usually on a Sunday, my trick is that I go to the steam room and I fill my hair up with conditioner. There's three different conditioners that I'll use, that's my deep conditioning day. I wash it once a week, sometimes twice depending on how many products we've put in my hair because if you wash it too much it gets dry. There's a really cheap product called Hair Mayonnaise, it's an organic product that you can buy at health food stores. It's a big tub and it's like a hair growth product [and] really good conditioner. Rene Furterer makes a conditioner called Karite Nourishing Conditioning Cream for dry hair ($22, 3.4 oz.). It's expensive but good, but I say that the Hair Mayonnaise is just as good and cheap.

In terms of products to get my hair curly during the week, the trick is the Denman brush, a D4 ($17) or the industrial one, it's the key to curls. [While in the shower,] wet your hair, fill it up with conditioner. I split my hair into six sections, bottom section split it in two, brush it over the shoulder, next section, brush it over the shoulder, etc. Leave the conditioner in. After I've brushed it out, I put a little more conditioner in my hair and (shaking the hair gently) I try to make the curls happen. You can see them develop at that point. Put the hair up in a clip, wash the body, do what you gotta do, rinse it out.

Xerxes

I really thought she would have had her stylist do all the work! I like her so much more now that I know she's as cheap as I am and willing to still do her own hair! :)

yokourt

That's funny I bought this Hair Magazine last night at the gas station and read the same article. All the girls from the cast had their regimens listed.

Erica78

Coils coils & more coils!

Excellent topic. I love her hair...and I've always wondered about her regimen. I'm going to try her method tonight with my D4 Brush. /images/graemlins/weird.gif

Almondjoy

I just bought November's issue of Black Hair and Braids and it also lists out each of the women of Girlfriend's hair regimens. It states some of the same things from the article earlier listed but also a little more. It states:

Q:Off set, how do you care for your hair?

A-Tracee: I wash my hair once a week. I use a couple different shampoos. Once a month, I use the Aveda Shampure and at the same time I'll also rinse with the Rene Furterer Vinegar Rinse. But if you don't want to spend that much you can use apple cider vinegar and cut it with water. Your hair will shine, but you can't use it all the time because it will dry your hair out. On a regular basis, I use the Gold Wells Conditioning Shampoo. On a weekly basis, one of my beauty secrets is that I steam. I go to one of the Korean day spas. I fill my hair up with Gold Well Kerasilk Conditioner-that conditioner is fantastic for conditioning hair under a heating cap, which I do if I can't get into a steam room. With the Kerasilk, your hair will not curl up. My hair gets so soft that it doesn't curl up, so I have to use another conditioner. The other is very expensive but you get a lot for your money. It's called Hair Mayonnaise. It is a growth enhancer. It's an organic company. It comes in a big tube. I's a really good deep conditioner. Then, when I want my best hair I'll use Denman D-4 brush or the salon industrial heavy brush. I am an advocate of Denman brushes. It is a rubber brush. The older it gets the better because it has gotten softer. I also use the Cherry Almond Burnt Conditioner by Aveda. I mix with a little of the Deep Penetrating Conditioning from Aveda for the smell. And, I seperate my hair into six sections in order to brush it out. So, I don't break my hair. And you start from the bottom. The way your mom taught you. I do this in the shower. I put more conditioner in my hair, shake my hair so my curls can find each other, and take my hair up with a big clip. Leave it in for a while, then, I turn off all the hot water and turn up the cold water. Put the cold water on low pressure because the high pressure will break up all the curls that just found each other. The low pressure cold water keeps it shiny and keeps the curl.

Q: What is the best hair care advise you've ever been given that you could share with our readrs?

A:Condition, Condition, and Condition! And stay away from alcohol-based products. It just dries your hair out.

I tell you. I bought the magazine just for this article. Her hair is beautiful!

Almondjoy

Golden Brooks

Q: How do you care for your hair?
A: Golden I do a lot of deep conditioners. We use a lot of the Organic root stimulator line. We'll also use the Hair Mayonnaise, some of the Biolage products and we do a lot of deep conditiones where I'll stay under the hairdryer for an hour. I love the Biolage line. It is really hydrating.

Q: Any hair care routines you prefer to perform yourself?
A: I know its old school but I prefer to oil my scalp. When I take my extensions out. I just message, oil and brush my scalp really well. Then, I'll just leave it in overnight. It is still like a deep conditioning technique. I'll just put a shower cap over it and sleep with it.

Q: What are some of your favorite hair products?
A: I love the Organic Root Stimulator. I love the Biolage line-The Hair Serum. I found this new product called Vonte (800-727-4463) That stuff is like perm in a jar! I actually turned Jill on to it. I is this blue gel. I just slick it down.

Persia White

Q: How do you care for you hair?
A: Persia White- I try to do protein treatments with Giovanni Natural Care Produsts (myvitaner.com) They are all natural. And, I try to get as much moisture to my hair as I can.

Q: What are some ofyour favorite hair products?
A: My favorite is by Giovanni. They have this thing called Frizz Be Gone. And, its an anti-frizz serum that has soy protein in it. It protects the hair.

Jill Jones

Q:Off set, how do you care for your hair?
A: Jill-Well, I have a hairstylist that I go to once a week who washes and conditions my hair. I am really not good with that to be honest. I always joke with the girls about feeling like a tomboy. They think I'm the most dainty and feminine, but I guess I am in certain ways. But, I'm really not girly like that. I'm not good with the hair thing.

Q:What are some of your favorite hair products?
A:Vonte(www.vonteproducts.com) is number one. It is kind of a pomade. It is perm in a jar. Look, I'm from the South perms are ok....Paul Mitchelll works. I like the MOP Leave-In Conditioner. I like Silk Essential and the Bio-Silk Therapy (both by Farouk). I love the Nioxin Hair spray.