Sisterlock Support Thread (micolocks/braidlocker welcome too)

Ivonnovi

I figured I start a support Thread for those who are interested in SisterLocks and/or microlocks. As for myself I'm considering SisterLocks and have an install scheduled soon, BUT I do have 1 major question for those who do have these locks.

"Did your consultant use a uniform grid pattern to install the locks? OR did they recommend slightly larger "grids" in the back of the head?

My hair density is thin up top, so I know that the pattern will be a bit different up there, but the way she stated the larger pattern made me immediatley think of how the "traction alopecia queens" :nono: routinely place significantly larger braids in the back of the head when doing micros.

I'll await a response.

Last edited:

TracyNicole

I'm going to subscribe to this thread because I am conisdering having another set of sisterlocks installed. I can't really answer your question. All I can advise is that you have clearly spelled out your wishes to your consultant and reach an agreement about what your hair can support. I took my last set down because the consultant did not install what we agreed upon and I hated them. Sisterlocks are such an expensive commitment that you want to be as confident as possible that you two are on the same page.

Ivonnovi

Thank you CheerleaderBody,

From the numerous posts and research I've done, I can see how important it is to ensure that both you & your stylist are in agreement on the install, locksize, and have reasonable expectations.

I have about 3inches of newgrowth and 5' of permed hair. I know that for the 1st few weeks I'll be looking "scalpy". .....I think thats why I want to make sure that at least the scalpy bits are "uniform" in appearance. <sounds vain huh?

trevprit

Thank you CheerleaderBody,

From the numerous posts and research I've done, I can see how important it is to ensure that both you & your stylist are in agreement on the install, locksize, and have reasonable expectations.

I have about 3inches of newgrowth and 5' of permed hair. I know that for the 1st few weeks I'll be looking "scalpy". .....I think thats why I want to make sure that at least the scalpy bits are "uniform" in appearance. <sounds vain huh?
Oh really???!!! :lol:. I'm just messing around with you. Good thread, subscribing...but now I have to go look up microlocs.

Ivonnovi

Yes 5-feet! NOT. (it seems my shift key failed to properly engage, lol)

I sat through Session 1 of my install lastnight. ....all I can say is that I'm glad to have began the journey; however, the beginning stages will take a little getting used to. 9hrs, and we're probably 45% done. (notice the shift key properly engaged this time)

I'll post pics when I can

Last edited:

Michelle1971

I don't have sisterlocs but regular locs and hope that you get an answer soon and find a good consultant since that makes all the difference. Can't wait to see pics.

BUMP...

Ivonnovi

Pictures are added

1. I did let my "consultant" know that I desired a uniform pattern, and that I wanted them smaller around the ear area. To get throught the day, I parted the hair along the side and pulled it all back into a bun. I used 50-11 hair pins to hold down the ends that were swept across my crown. :perplexed: Pic#1 shows how short the crown area is.

SO, against all recommendations I'm adding "extensions" to the ends of these. My chosen method is to lenthen this area with extensions so that I can have "some" uniformity to my bun and hair length. I have no idea how long this will last or look good; but as they say nothing beats a failure but a "try". I am looping the HumanHair through the lock about 1.5" above the end of the lock. When I'm done adding it in, I'll trim the hair to about the same length as my natural hair. Pic#2 shows a few extensions added around the front edges.

Pics# 3&4 are close-up shots install.
Pic# 5 shows the length of 80% of the front half of my hair, as you can see most of it is permed.

I plan to use a "Rinse" of some color to hide my grey edges soon, until then it seems I've found a great use for my waterproof mascara! (sshhhh don't tell nooooo body) Enjoy

Attachments

• CIMG0249.jpg
    CIMG0249.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 275
  • CIMG0248.jpg
    CIMG0248.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 242
  • CIMG0247.jpg
    CIMG0247.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 239
  • CIMG0250.jpg
    CIMG0250.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 216
  • CIMG0251.jpg
    CIMG0251.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 243

msdeevee

Looks like you've gotten off to a great start with your locks.

They look great.

I was seriously considering Sisterlocks for a long while but the expense & time involved was daunting.

They are beautiful though and the styling options are endless.

Ivonnovi

I'm all locked up now.

Thank God, I prepared myself my looking at a "whole lotta" others folks Sisterlock pictures. So I knew I'd be a bit "scalpy" looking, and I sooooo look forward to the filling in and swelling of my new locks.
I've not counted the locsk,...,.,yet!

The install took about 20hours, my scalp was a little tender but the tenderness was nowhere near the level achieved when you get braids (& I’m very tender headed).

These pics were taken when I got home late last night. 1st is an over the shoulder shot, the 2nd shows how the grid pattern looks from a few feet away (also shows my relaxed hair length); the 3rd shows my “out-the-door-gotta-few-stops-to-make-&-I-don’t-wanna-look-crazy” look. Once complete I had the stylist bump my ends under and then I donned a Kufi and was out the door. I think I’ll be sporting these for a few weeks.

….against all recommendations and instructions, I am adding extensions to the front and crown of my new locks. (these are to fill them in (camouflage) and to extend the length to a nice even bob) I’m off to complete that task now.

I'd like to add that I hope to maintain my relaxed ends for a v-e-r-y long time.

Attachments

• CIMG0257.jpg
    CIMG0257.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 263
  • CIMG0259.jpg
    CIMG0259.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 223
  • CIMG0261.jpg
    CIMG0261.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:

Ivonnovi

UPDATE.

I've added before and after pictures to show how I "filled-in" & extended my Sisterlocs.

The first two are closeups of my the back of my head before & after.

The second two are from a few feet away. This was an interesting and challenging task to take on but now I feel more confident with my new look. as I begin this journey.

I'll try creative styles this weekend.

Attachments

• CIMG0256.jpg
    CIMG0256.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 159
  • CIMG0264.jpg
    CIMG0264.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 157
  • CIMG0259.jpg
    CIMG0259.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 145
  • CIMG0263.jpg
    CIMG0263.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 146

genesis132

Congrats and the hard part is over! Well, that's how I felt. My scalp was sooo tender for two weeks after my install!! I couldnt believe. I told my consultant, that for my re tightening sessions, I don not want my hair tightened all the way down to my scalp.

I think she did a good job with the partings and it's going to fill-in in no time. I washed my hair like 2 days after my install to help it start filling in. Well good luck and keep me posted on your journey since we are beginning at the same time.

Oh yeah, good idea for a SL support thread.

genesis132

Here's some pics for inspiration:

I think she's getting a haircut

Michelle1971

*sigh* those pictures are going to make me wish that I didn't stop latching my braidlocs. I like the red colors...very pretty.

Ivonnovi

1st....where did the "Thank You" button go again!

Genesis132, Thank you, those pictures are very encouraging and very nice. '
- I'm hoping to make it 7-10days with out breaking down and washing, 6 weeks is out of the picture.

- Regarding starting the SL Support thread, I'm gonna need all the support I can get, lawd knows folks here are like "why do you wanna go and do that?". I'm still getting the side-eye from a few kink "haters".

Michelle1971, if you're not latching how are you maintaining your locks? & come on back.

Platinum

Those are beautiful Ivonnovi! I'm going to subscribe to this thread because I may consider locking in the future.:yep:

Ivonnovi

Very nice! So you left the relaxed ends loose? or am I blind?

Yes my relaxed ends are loose & "NO" you are not blind! LOL.

I have on average about 3" (inches) of locked hair. The rest is relaxed and worn as usual. THE TRICK (challenge to myself) will be to see how long I can hold on to my relaxed ends, as I really do love my length.

Ivonnovi

Week 1 pictures added. These just show how they are filling in. Sorry but I've been very busy the past few weeks and have not had time to experiment with styling options. For now it's only buns.

The 1st & 2nd are of my hair (showing the way the "scalp" is fillling in). The added hair is in the bundle on top of my head.

The 3rd pic is the 1st day of installation (no extra hair added)

LOL. Next time I'll try to get consistent with my camera angles

Attachments

• locjourney 245.jpg
    locjourney 245.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 98
  • locjourney 246.jpg
    locjourney 246.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 111
  • CIMG0257.jpg
    CIMG0257.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

genesis132

^^Ivonni, what type of hair did you add? And, how long do you plan to leave it in?

Have you experienced the scalp itchies yet? I experienced it about 5-6 days after my install and it lasted for about 5 days.

Ivonnovi

Goooooooooood morning Genesis132!

Up top I added "wet'n'wavy" hair.
The hair was added by me "latching" it through the loc itself, it was added about 1.5" from the end of my hair then braided and knotted it past my permed ends.

Quite franky I don't know how long I'll leave the extensions in, but my plan it eventually replace them with Bulk Afro-Kinky hair to havethe ends be more "curly" than straight. <that will be a "whole head project"

^^Ivonni, what type of hair did you add? And, how long do you plan to leave it in?

Have you experienced the scalp itchies yet? I experienced it about 5-6 days after my install and it lasted for about 5 days.

Fhrizzball

More Pics :grin:

And brotherlocs (similar to sisterlocks but larger and for men)

I did not now loced hair can still for coils at the end or are they not mature yet? I suppose if you continuously undo your ends it'll do that.

Have you counted how many locs you have yet :grin:? They look lovely.

thefineprint

sisterlocks checking in! it took a while (maybe the first year or so) to really get used to my sisterlocks and to love my hair. honestly, i had a love hate relationship with them up until around 1 1/2 years. at the 2 year mark i finally started to love them. i just wanted to share that in case someone gets sisterlocks installed and they aren't exactly what they were hoping for right away - it takes time for them to fill in and thicken up but they will and they will mature and blossom beautifully. :grin:

here are some pics of my journey...i apologize about blocking out my face but i am wary of posting pics on the internet.

my locks will be 3 years old in march. i have larger sisterlocks which makes them appear a bit less full than the very small ones. i only have about 300...most people with sisterlocks average 400-500.

Week 1:

Month 1 or 2:

Month 3:

Year 1 1/2

Year 2:

2 Months Ago (2 years 10 months old):

Last Month:

2 Days Ago (curls have dropped since last week):

5 Minutes Ago:

My Goal!!:

Last edited: