re: hair stuck to scalp after relaxer!...well I went to the ER tonight

jtsupanova

The dr confirmed that it was a chemical burn and I might suffer from permanent hair loss.Has this happened to anyone else? I know you guys don't know the serverity of my burns but they are pretty bad.I just need a glimmer of hope that even if my hair falls out with the scabs as the dr said that it will grow back. I can't be bald around my edges. I won't be able to cover up a weave or even wear a ponytail. Everyone thinks I should sue honestly I rather have my hair back.

Last edited:

cmw45

The dr confirmed that it was a chemical burn and I might suffer from permanent hair loss.Has this happened to anyone else? I know you guys don't know the serverity of my burns but they are pretty bad.I just need a glimmer of hope that even if my hair falls out with the scabs as the dr said that it will grow back. I can't be bald around my edges. I won't be able to cover up a weave or even wear a ponytail. Everyone thinks I should sue honestly I rather have my hair back.

:grouphug: I am so sorry this happend to you. While I haven't seen your burns and I can not contradict what the doctor said, when I was about twelve years old I also suffered from a chemical burn do to a jerhi curl. The man doing my hair put the chemical on and left me sitting in the chair while he went to get lunch. When he came back I was crying and the back of my head was weaping. (Weaping is when this clear liquid comes out. It it what your hair gets stuck in.) My hair did scab, a lot fell out, and took a while to peel off. I had braids put in some months later and my hair did grow back. Again, I haven't seen your burns but this is hope.

AsTheCurlzTurns

I am so sorry you're going through this!:( But on a lighter note, I've done heads with very severe balding patches in their heads from chemical burns, and yet the hairs lost grew back in. So there's still hope for you, only time and patience and some TLC to those areas are on your side. Maybe once your scalp has healed, you can maybe invest in wearing some braids where they fall over those areas where they can't be seen possibly? Also did the doctor give you any type of topical prescription to put on there to speed up healing and to keep it from getting infected? :bighug: to ya!

monieluv

The exact thing happen to me last summer. It was in the nape area and very tender . The ER gave me some cream like Neosporin, and I had to leave it uncovered to breathe. But I only did that at my alone time. During work I wore a wig. Within a week my hair started growing back and the burned area cleared up. After the nubs came back, I started using MN mixed with Doo-gro. Looked like nothing ever happened. And I sported braids and cornwards. So don't get discouraged and don't touch the scab. It will prolong the healing processing. Smile. Things will get better. :yep:

motherx2esq

OMG that is so sad. I have never had this happen and I am so sorry you had to endure this. I have been self relaxing for years and never had a burn or anything. This is terrible!

Britt

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear this. I've been burnt badly b4 in the past. You can try rubbing some vitamin E oil or any heavy oil on the area gently. When you wash your hair just be super gentle with that area. Again, i'm sorry to hear this. I *have* to base my scalp b4 I get a relaxer or else i'll burn. This past relaxer I lazily went into the salon and didn't base my scalp with anything my scalp started tingling in about 10 min :nono:

sunshinelady

Try a lace wig. I have one for sale in the Hair Product Exchange Forum. I will give you a discount if the measurements fit you. So sorry this happened to you.

lipyt

Growing up this used to happen to me all the time! My first reaction when I started reading your post was to giggle because I have been burnt several times with the hair getting stuck to my hair and I remember trying to slowly pull the hairs off the scab days after the perm was put in. I never had any COMPLETE hair loss from it. I'm sorry that it scared you so bad!:nono: But I think it will grow back and everyone else seems to have similar stories with the hair growing back in the end. But yea next time you should really put vaseline or another base in your scalp before perming.
I do have a friend who has NO hair on her edges I think the same thing happened to her...but she always pulls her hair back in tight ponytails and braids. So just let the area breathe for a while so it can get better

lipyt

The exact thing happen to me last summer. It was in the nape area and very tender . The ER gave me some cream like Neosporin, and I had to leave it uncovered to breathe. But I only did that at my alone time. During work I wore a wig. Within a week my hair started growing back and the burned area cleared up. After the nubs came back, I started using MN mixed with Doo-gro. Looked like nothing ever happened. And I sported braids and cornwards. So don't get discouraged and don't touch the scab. It will prolong the healing processing. Smile. Things will get better. :yep:
you poor thing! I wish I was there I would have made a big stink about it and made him loose his job or get in serious trouble! What nerve! So ghetto!

TrustMeLove

I would sue regardless! People sue all the time for things like this. Don't feel like you are alone either, because this his happening everyday to people across America.

Some are lucky enough to have their hair come back and others are not. Honestly.

It cost to buy lace wigs etc...you shouldn't have to shell out your own money to pay for these things to cover up the mistake of someone else.

It might be wise to seek legal counsel and even some special counseling for youself because I know this has to be traumatic.

Take your vitamins...let's speed up healing (just in case your lacking something).

mscocoface

My word! Follow the advice the ladies have told you. You should recover. Next steps are to asses what you will do going forward.

Will you be continuing getting relaxers, if so from someone else?
What do you need to do to prep in the future if you want to get another relaxer? Such as type of relaxer, prep your scalp, etc.
Have you thought about doing your own hair next time or going another route it taking care of your hair?

Take care, and please keep us posted.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
When I was 15 my dumb butt scratched dandruff the day before a touch up. My scalp was on fire and I got weeping and scabs afterward. My little HS boyfriend called me ashtray head:rolleyes:. Anyway, once the hair peeled away from the scabs I did not lose any hair and it was pretty as ever. Hopefully you'll have the same result.:bighug:

anon123

I suffered from several of these as a child. Them chemicals ain't no joke. But my hair grow back from all of them and I don't have any bald patches. I'm not pro-relaxer, but if you're gonna do it, do it right. People leave it on to make sure your hair gets as straight as possible. :rolleyes: I had never even heard about "basing the scalp" until I was an adult. Maybe that would have saved my poor head. But anyway, yes, my hair did grow back.

Blackbird77

This happened to me in the fall of '93. I had a very short cut and the back was shaved. I had a chemical burn so bad in the back of my head that it kept me up at night. If I wrapped my head with anything, the wrap stuck to the back of my head and I had to gently pull it off while wincing in pain. I had a big oozing scab. It grew back fine, though.:yep:

Traycee

I'm so sorry.....No this has never happen to me ..nor have I known anyone this has happen to....Didn't you get it done at the beauty salon...If you did you did you need to have a talk with that stylist and I would definitely not go back ....

(BIG HUG)

Whimsy

I'm SO SORRY you're going through this!!

I am just chiming in with a 'yeah u should sue' vote :) :yep:

The suit won't make your hair grow in any faster, but who doesn't want more money? :)

SleekandBouncy

I'm sorry that happened to you.

My mother had a chemical burn when she was younger, covering the area with vitamin E oil helped the area to repair itself. Maybe that might help.

Cheleigh

I used to get chemical burns maybe once a year (or about every 10 months), irrespective of the stylist. Lye was worse for my scalp than no lye, although my hair looked better with a lye relaxer. My nape and hairline were the most frequent offenders, but sometimes the crown too. I always had my scalp based beforehand, but I think I just have a sensitive scalp. I've had stylists use seabreeze or coke to neutralize the burn. :perplexed It hurt like the fires of h*ll, but at least I didn't get weeping or scabs afterward. When I didn't use anything, I did get scabs but only once did I get weeping/ooze.

My hair always grew back. Sorry this happened to you. I never thought about suing because it wasn't negligence on the part of the stylists--it was just that by the time I felt the tingle, it was often too late. :sad:

Now, I'd use Neosporin or vitamin e once the scabs came off.

ChocolateCutee

Ouch! I remember getting chemical burns when I had relaxers. I still have a small bump at my nape from a chemical burn when I FIRST relaxed my hair. i was only 10 years old.

I had them where the hair would sick to my scalp and it would be stuck with a scab. Yuck not pretty at all. Well atleast ppl couldn't see them but I could feel that they were there.

Thing is not trying to downplay your situation but getting chemical burns from a relaxer is one thing that women should realise that it's a possibility that it could happen. That is just a risk you have to take when using them.

I really don't know how suing them will work. you willingly went to get a relaxer, the stylist didn't burn your scalp the relaxer did. Relaxer applications can be unpredictable. Example, the relaxer may not take (under processing) or the hair can be over processed and many women have had this. Can I sue someone if the under processed my hair?

If the stylist left the chemical on for the right amount of time and you still got burnt who is to be blamed for that? Just asking

Now if the chemical wasn't applied properly then that could be a different story.

Now if you do have bald areas on your head I deffinately wouldn't suggest you do a retouch anytime soon. I would think that caring for the damaged areas would be your priority and nursing your hair back to health. Someone suggested vitamin e oil. that's a great suggestion! Try massaging the areas with the oil. you can also try natural rememdies that aid in hair growth like rosemarie, sage, nettles and horsetail. You could get those herbs and steep them in hot water then make a hair spray and spray them on your damaged areas

Ms Red

I'm so sorry this happened to you.

I've been there before and chemical burns are what prompted me to go natural in 2005. All I can do is echo the sentiment of the other ladies who say to use Vitamin E oil.

Also, drink plenty of water and let those areas 'breathe' if possible (little to no manipulation, no tension/tight hairstyles). The only thing that will really help is time.

Lovelylocs

I've had this happen more than once. :yep: I'm not one to contradict doctors, but I have a feeling that your hair will grow back or not even fall out at all. You'll be alright in my non-medical opinion.

mnemosyne

I've had these before. I just left it alone or tries to put moisture/oil on the area till it stopped sticking. Just be very careful not to scratch like you'll want to. It helps!

Something similar happened to me a long time ago. I had washed my hair one morning--I think I was 6wks post and trying to wait until 8wks. I didn't like the way my hair came out after I washed it so I called up my hairdresser and went in for a touch-up. My hair looked good, but needless to say the relaxer burned the h*&ll out of my scalp and I had some weeping sores. My hair was stuck to my head in some areas. But my burns must not have been that bad because I didn't lose any hair and had no problem growing it.

I would put some Aloe vera on it-get a plant from Home Depot for about $2.99. Just break of one of the stems and apply it to the burns. I would keep doing this and also alternate with vitamin E & Emu oil (combined). Hopefully your burns aren't as bad as they now seem. HTH

TaurusAngel

:nono: I'm so sorry that happened to you. I didn't know Chemical burns could be so bad. I've had my share but usually Vaseline makes them go away. I pray you have a good recovery though. :giveheart::flowers:

ALWAYZL8

...and this is why I stopped relaxing. As the other ladies said, your hair will grow back. Chemical burns are not uncommon. Lightly oil the area as the other ladies said. If you have a lot of burns, I'd question the stylist. If it is just a couple of spots, you just had a bad reaction. You could have accidentally scratched the area, tingled one second too long, or it was a sensitive area to begin with. You'll be fine. I know it sucks, but you are not alone.

FYI - I used to get them when I would pull my hair in a ponytail on the day of my relaxer. My stylist figured out this was the problem and the burns stopped.

Lucky's Mom

I am so sorry.

This was one of the main reasons I left relaxers forever.

I hope you get better soon....................:kiss:

Misshairdiva

ROSEHIP SEED OIL!!!!!!!!

Please get yourself some rosehip seed oil. You can find it at most health stores and online. I am very light completed and my daughter burnt the top of my forehead by accident with the curling iron. Someone told me to continously put rosehip seed oil on it, at that point 2 weeks prior to my wedding.. I was desperate. But, it worked! No scar, nothing! Also, my hubby burnt his hand on a pipe under the hood of the car, and it not only healed it, but there is no scar as well!!!

Tinky

I had something similar happen to me, but I did it to myself. I was trying to self relax and I took too long and ended up burning about a square inch section in the back of my head. It was a really bad burn and eventually after it healed my hair grew back even though I never went to have a doctor check it out or anything (I know better than to do that now:nono:). I know you are having a hard time right now, but don't lose hope. Since you immediately got medical attention you are already on right track. Between the medical information you have received and the information available on this forum you will have your hair looking great in no time. Until then you can wear wigs (they are making them look more natural and it's a great way to try a new look). My prayers go out to you :bighug:

jtsupanova

Thank you ladies for all your kind words and support! The dr did prescribe an antibiotic ointment which I will use and then follow up with vitame E as some of you had suggested. I am going to take legal action. b back with more