• Measuring Tape from Front of Hairline Back & Down

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Pull Hair to a Body Part

Votes: 51 78.5%

• Total voters

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Ladies, I can't sleep and that's when the OCD kicks in :look:

How are you measuring your growth/length? There does not seem to be any continuity.

Please advise!

Example #1

Source

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Most people here measure from the nape because those are the layers that typically show length, but I think if you just pick a spot and stay consistent with it, that should be fine.

I actually measure the sides, nape, and crown when I length check. However, I only post pics of the nape.

(don't ask why I'm up) :look:

ETA: You have beautiful hair!

ETA2: I was on my phone and didn't see the poll. I chose pull down since my hair is natural and has about 50% shrinkage. However, like I stated above, I also use a measuring tape from the nape and have a length check shirt too. So I guess I use three methods. :perplexed I think most ppl here use the pull down method and then a length check shirt, then measuring tape on nape.

Last edited:

MsLiss

I don't straighten my hair so right now I pull it down from the back. If I'm feeling serious about tracking growth then I'll use a tape measure on different parts of my head.

polished07

With my hair always being shrunken I use the pull down method when get my hair straightened in Dec ill just let his rest where it lays

newnyer

Um, I'm sorry I was distracted by that beautiful head of hair, um, what did ask again?? LOL
But I use the pull down method if I have a little curl in my hair that day, otherwise I just wear the same shirt or bra in my pics every time so I can see the difference in growth.

BostonMaria

Your hair is beautiful!!!!!!!

I measure by straightening my hair at the salon.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Fenaxa

^^^^
Lol IKR!
I was looking at that too. It only takes a little bit more than 12 inches from my crown to reach SL. I imagine chin length would be around 8 inches on me. Then again, I have a small head so I'm sure that's why lol.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
I only pull a section from the nape down toward a body part. Now that I am in-between APL and BSL it is hard to see a difference so it maybe time to get one of those length check shirts. I'm just cheap and also don't want to waste a shirt just for biannual length checks. Maybe a nice stripped shirt needs to be added to my wardrobe. :rolleyes:

Dang 14" is chin length. That's crazy!
LOL it's standard to measure from the hairline on LHC that's way it seems so long for just chin length.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Your hair is beautiful!!!!!!!

I measure by straightening my hair at the salon.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

BostonMaria, that is not my hair. It's Mane&Chic's hair, she's a member here, but I can't think of her screen name off the top of my head. When I do, I'll post it, or someone can help me out and post her screen name for me.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
^^Ohhh, did she just recently post an update on her progress? The curls in the second pic look familiar.

Guinan

Re-Branding
I wish I knew the exact way to measure hair:) I usually use a strip shirt and a bra to measure my length. However, I am considering getting a sewing measuring tape to check my length; b/c at least with that way, I wont need to straighten my hair.

BostonMaria

Example #3

Start at the hair line and go down the back of your head to the tips!
Source

That's a whole lotta hair! If that were my hair I bet it would still shrink up to my ears LOL

ETA: The hair in the original post is from Southern.... OMG I forget her screen name. She has the Mane & Chic blog.

missbugg21

I will usually straighten my hair first and use my length-check shirt to measure the length. Now that I'm going heat-free indefinitely, I will likely use the pull-down method or tape measure to track my growth.

Lilmama1011

Pull down method, but make sure every time you check your using the same part of your hair. On relaxed hair when you have a fresh relaxer on natural just pull it down

Seamonster

I use the pull down method, but on my last length check I also did my first where does my hair fall length check. My stretched hair fell just short of sl. Hoping to get my stretched twist out to shoulder one day.

Lilmama1011

i don't like measuring tape. because if its not on the start of the scalp it's so easy to be off on your measurements

Guinan

Re-Branding
Maybe I'll start doing the pull down LC. I try to be as accurate as possible. When I do the pull down, I feel like my head is slightly leaning too far back, causing an inaccurate LC. I usually flat iron and then put a book on my head. When I LC by pulling down, my hair is longer than when I LC flat ironing & then placing a book on my head.