Sore scalp = Growing hair

Crysdon

I get a touchup every 12 weeks with no problems whatsoever. Everytime I hit the 5 or 6 week mark, my scalp starts to get sore. I have a normal amount of newgrowth around that time and it's the only thing that I can think of that would make my scalp sore. I don't have excessive itching and I only massage my hairline. My scalp is not dry and I don't have dandruff. So, does a sore scalp mean that hair is growing?

*Don't know if this question has been addressed, so don't scold me for not searching /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Lindy

Hi Crysdon /images/graemlins/wave.gif

What do you mean by 'sore'? Does it actually hurt??? Does it have actual sores in it?? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Crysdon

Hi Lindy,

I should have said "tender". My scalp feels tender and there are no sores on it.

Chipmunk

That's what I heard, not sure if it's true.

When I get a lot of tingling of the scalp I notice the most growth.

Lecaste

Crysdon, this happens to me too! My friends think I'm crazy when I say it...I'm so glad that it's not just me. /images/graemlins/grin.gif My tenderness is mostly focused in the crown area.

Lecaste

Faith

Yeah mine hurts about 1-2x a month for a few days. I asked my sis about it she was like /images/graemlins/huh.gif Mine feel like my follicles and scalp are sore. Yours too? It's good to know I'm not alone. Mine is crown area too...especially the right. Hmmm!

Ennyaa

Thank goodness, I thought I was CRAZY!! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif Then I thought all my hair was gonna fall out. I just couldn't understand why my scalp was sore but I sure was hoping that it meant growth.

Camille

I am so glad someone mention this, because i have the same problem too, I was really worried b/c I thought there was something wrong with my scalp and maybe it was't growing. the tenderness is always on the crown area and that is usually the weakest part for me.

BronxDiva

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Ennyaa said:
Thank goodness, I thought I was CRAZY!! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif Then I thought all my hair was gonna fall out. I just couldn't understand why my scalp was sore but I sure was hoping that it meant growth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your not the only /images/graemlins/confused.gif one I find that the crown area grows faster than any other area on my head and I get headaches when I style my new growth in directions that it does not want to go. I ease the tension with scalp massages w/oil. HTH

Katrine

It could be how you are wearing your hair. When I change the way I wear my hair (for instance take down a ponytail) my scalp hurts until my hair 'settles' and fall down.

Im thinking that because your new growth is a different texture than the rest maybe your hair is a bit raised from the scalp and that make a similar situation as above (maybe until the new growth is processed)...

Hmm am I making any sense at all?!

-Katrine

pebbles

Hi Crysdon,/images/graemlins/wave.gif

I get this too around the time I need a touch up. I always thought the soreness was caused by all the new growth that was so hard to comb through. My scalp is usually so tender that it's hard to comb my hair.

Crysdon

Hi Pebbles,

My newgrowth is actually not a problem. I can comb thru it, the only difference between it and the texturized part is the waviness and some-what dryness of the newgrowth.

I'm too scared to wear ponytails everyday in the winter months, so I know it's not that. I also wonder if it's the Biotin and B-Complex combo. Hmmmmmmm?

Faith

Yeah I started massaging it too and it helps a lot. I noticed when the area hurts I tend to yank the hair out which helps it..temporary of course) but that's a lot of hair to be pulling out. That's a bad habit I have(had)... /images/graemlins/spank.gif I'm getting better (the massaging is helping and seriously ladies I had to pray about it...it was that bad).

Jade21

Crysdon,

What kind of biotin have you been taking lately? Amethyst and I have been talking about Puritan's Pride and how potent it is. We've both been getting major tingles, then lots of sprouting hair.

Some people think that the soreness and the growing hair is an old wive's tale. I don't.

~Jade~

Zola

BronxDiva said:
I get headaches when I style my new growth in directions that it does not want to go.

[/ QUOTE ]
And...

Katrine said:
It could be how you are wearing your hair. When I change the way I wear my hair (for instance take down a ponytail) my scalp hurts until my hair 'settles' and fall down.

-Katrine

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW! I am so glad that you guys brought this up. Actually this whole thread is really good because I too thought that it was just me...especially the "changing directions" thing. When I do this, I end up with an overall, dull headache that has always been a mystery to me... until now /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks /images/graemlins/grin.gif

pebbles

I'm too scared to wear ponytails everyday in the winter months, so I know it's not that. I also wonder if it's the Biotin and B-Complex combo. Hmmmmmmm?

[/ QUOTE ] Hmmm, that's something to consider. /images/graemlins/look.gif

G

My scalp is unbearably score at 4.5 weeks and that's why I have to get it relaxed. I talked to a co-worker who also gets a score scalp when it is time for her to get her Jheri curl redone.

TwistNMx

Yep /images/graemlins/smile.gif, I've been experiencing sore scalp for over 2 weeks now and I'm very surprised to see this subject brought to the surface. Hair raising...isn't it? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Lecaste

I also think that it has to do with growth. The only part that is sore is my crown and it's the fastest growing part of my head. Also, it's only sore when I need a touch-up.

My theory is that my hair is extra curly and needs to work to push through the scalp. Straighter hair would have an easier time of it. The hair on my crown almost shoots out of my head (my mother calls the area my "power cell" and says that I must have baking powder in it because it grows so thick and fast /images/graemlins/grin.gif)and I'd guess that, with that much pushing against me like it does my scalp, I'd be sore too! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Have I mentioned how much I love this site? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lecaste

elliot

I thought I was going crazy and was scared to bring this topic up. So instead, I asked my sister does she ever get dull headaches and is her scalp really tender around touchup time and she just gave me this really blank stare.

Anyway, throughout the day I sometimes get dull headaches for no apparent reason; and then there is the tender scalp thing. Glad to see that I am not alone. /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

Crysdon

Crysdon,

What kind of biotin have you been taking lately? Amethyst and I have been talking about Puritan's Pride and how potent it is. We've both been getting major tingles, then lots of sprouting hair.

Some people think that the soreness and the growing hair is an old wive's tale. I don't.
~Jade~

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Jade,

I use Country Life 5mg. I'm thinking of switching to Puritan's Pride, I just love their glycerin soap, so their biotin is probably just as good.

Ennyaa

I was taking the Puritan's Pride myself (5mg a day) but just this month I decided to switch to Country Life. I'm actually taking it 2x a day which equals 10mg. I know that's a lot but I just couldn't believe that there was acutally 5mg in one of those tiny little capsules. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif I hope I continue to get good results with them if not, it's back to Puritan's Pride.

ChocolateCutee

Lecaste said:
I also think that it has to do with growth. The only part that is sore is my crown and it's the fastest growing part of my head. Also, it's only sore when I need a touch-up.

My theory is that my hair is extra curly and needs to work to push through the scalp. Straighter hair would have an easier time of it. The hair on my crown almost shoots out of my head (my mother calls the area my "power cell" and says that I must have baking powder in it because it grows so thick and fast /images/graemlins/grin.gif)and I'd guess that, with that much pushing against me like it does my scalp, I'd be sore too! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Have I mentioned how much I love this site? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lecaste

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that b/c your hair is curly that it has to work extra hard to push the hair out /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif that doesn't make sense /images/graemlins/confused.gif.

I have tender spots on my hair also and was think why I had them. I remember having them when I used to perm my hair, but I don't remeber them when my hair was natural. I also think it could be down to some hair products that you use that you could have a reaction to.

Someone said earlier about styling. Sometimes it could putting your hair in a certain style for long periods can put stress on your hair line. but I really don't associate sore spots with growth, thats just my opinion /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Crysdon

Ennyaa, do you see good results with the Puritan's Pride? I know Jade uses it and she's the vitamin guru of the board.

hairfanatic

Ennyaa, do you see good results with the Puritan's Pride? I know Jade uses it and she's the vitamin guru of the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am thinking about switching to Pruitan's Pride. Jade definately knows her stuff and I never heard anyone have any negative effects with her recommendations. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Faith

Hi Mindymouse,

I mean I yank the hair out. Sometimes with the bulb at the end and all. I'm getting better and becoming more conscious that I do that sometimes.