How do you make a bun w/ shoulder length hair?

willie525

Hello Ladies,

My hair is a little past shoulder length...more of collar bone length. I need to know how do I make a bun as a protective style. I am entering the coporate world this month, so I need something that looks really neat. Right now, when I try to make a bun it looks really small and mini. :lol: How can I make it look thicker? Can I only achieve that a sock type bun? TIA!

Starian

That's what I was going to suggest, a sock type bun.

Do you know how to do french twists? I find those more elegant and just as protective as the sock bun, and they're easier to do.

SvelteVelvet

Well that sounds about the length of my hair, it's probably a 1/2 inch longer now than it was in my avi. I just wore a bun last week the first time in I don't know how long. It was a lazy bun though, i'm not into the donut ones. I think what made it so thick was that it was after I co-washed and air-dried in one big braid. So perhaps try air-drying in a big braid or two, I think the wave contributes to the thickness as well. To keep the sides smoothed I moisturized and oiled and just tied it down with a scarf. HTH

bablou00

I made a homemade bun w/ fake hair the first time. It was real messy but it did the job. Then I took a black sock and made it into a bun. I wear it every once in awhile when Im not being lazy. It makes my hair look really full.

Determined22

I use a sock bun lined with black pantyhose.

Or like someone mentioned, a french twist is a good option is well. I alternate between the two.

CAPlush

I make one big two-strand twist at the base, twirl it around, and secure with an octopus clip. It's a "bun" and the clip keeps it from looking tiny. Me and hair pieces don't go well together at all.

sareca

I wear a phony pony (UPA) pinned under.

Or a loose braid tucked under.