NO Snag/ smooth plate Flat irons

beana

Are snags during flat ironing unavoidable?

no matter what flat iron i use, i notice a degree of snagging. I have used Sedu, Fhi and Hairart brand flat irons. Its not a HUGE problem, but its noticeable.

Weird observation:I notice snagging whenever a protein conditioner is used. Maybe moisturized hair is the best hair to flat iron, because I NEVER get snags when i do deep moisture treatments.

Does your flat iron snag at all? Brand recs are welcome.

Thanks!

Missjae09

I agree, I like the way my hair turns out better when I do a moisture treatment right after the protien or just a moisture -DC before straightening

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
Funny you mention this. I have a Sedu Revolution and I noticed my hair snags ONLY when I put HE LTR in my hair before flat-ironing. I'm not sure whether or not that's higher in protein or moisture but that definitely causes snags. I think it's supposed to be high in protein since it's supposed to mend split ends. It doesn't snag when I use only my CHI SI or heat protector spray though.

Hmmmmm......

CurlsBazillion

I thought I was just gripping the handle to tight lol. I know one thing, I can't put any products on my hair other than the heat protector because my hair comes out unflowy/stiffish but still soft...

newbeginnings2010

For me it depends on the size of the section I'm flat ironing. The thicker the sections, the more snagging I have.

ETA: Oh, and I only do protein treatments on relaxer day every 4-6 months.

outspokenwallflower

I've always had snagging happen when I flat iron my hair with the various flat irons I had; I thought I was either gripping too tightly or that it was the flat iron but with my Izunami flat iron, there is no snagging, just smooth gliding. I guess it varies with products, technique and tools.

Your Cheeziness

I use a GHD Classic :love:, but I have had a Sedu for a long time. When my sections are too big and the hair doesn't stay together, I get a snag. When I keep the section small enough, no snags. And yes, it's better with moisture. I get a better job when I don't use any protein styling products.

beana

@your_cheeziness I noticed on your blog that you were a long time fan of Sedu, how does that compare to the GHD? Sedu plates are so smooth, I have yet to experience another iron like it.

ellebelle88

Sedu has been the best flat iron I have used. It was virtually snag-free. My hair snags likes the dickens with my Chi.

Your Cheeziness

@your_cheeziness I noticed on your blog that you were a long time fan of Sedu, how does that compare to the GHD? Sedu plates are so smooth, I have yet to experience another iron like it.

Sedu has the smoothest plates, but they don't straighten my hair like the GHD. Even on the same temperature, the GHD gets my hair straight in one pass - even when I was natural. I don't have that burning smell from the iron. The GHD has better controlled tension - meaning I like to squeeze the plates for better straightening and the Sedu couldn't perform like that. Maybe it was too light for me - idk. And the heat I get from the GHD is a more conditioning heat - if that makes sense. I can't really explain but I see a big difference in my hair when comparing the two. Sedu is a great iron, but after using my GHD, I won't go back.

Guitarhero

Are snags during flat ironing unavoidable?

no matter what flat iron i use, i notice a degree of snagging. I have used Sedu, Fhi and Hairart brand flat irons. Its not a HUGE problem, but its noticeable.

Weird observation:I notice snagging whenever a protein conditioner is used. Maybe moisturized hair is the best hair to flat iron, because I NEVER get snags when i do deep moisture treatments.

Does your flat iron snag at all? Brand recs are welcome.

Thanks!

Rusk snags. The plates are smooth but the snagging happens where the plate ends and the sides and ends begin. Then I think Ateyaaa might have been saying that the Izunami snags because she made mention to not take a section wider than the plate. In watching a YT on flat irons (Wahl Healthy Infusion which is on sale a BigLots for 19.99), the reviewer liked the iron but said that it snags if a section larger than the plates is taken. I think they all might. Never heard if the Chi does. We bought a Cortex and it doesn't seem to snag. I wish they designed them for this problematic feature..."no snag." Over time, you can have a damaged area.

Does anyone know if the Maxiglide snags or any other nondesirable features? I'd still like to get one of those. Please @ me so I can see the notice.

Last edited:

cutenss

Guitarhero I have been using a Maxiglide since they came out (I have owned several) I never had an issue with snagging. I also have a Sedu. No snaggs their either. I love my MG and my Sedu. They both stay in rotation whenever I flatiron.