Does anyone take castor oil internally...

Dayjoy

Old School Member
in capsule or liquid form? If so what are the benefits and/or drawbacks? How much do you take?

Evazhair

Be careful taking castor oil internally. It is a LAXATIVE!!! My mother tells stories of being forced to down spoonfuls as a kid. I use it in conditioners and oil mixes especially those I use to keep new growth in check. :)HTH

Dayjoy

Old School Member
Thanks Evazhair for the reply. I ask only because I knew someone who said she took the capsules and her hair was shinier and thicker. She also said that it made her skin better. I noticed that she said nothing about the laxative effects so I thought there was a threshold dose or something. I figured if there was a safe amount to take it would be easier than applying it topically. Anyone do this?

SleekandBouncy

It's torture!!!!!!

Where my parents grew up it was customary that kids take it, my mom says that's why they were so strong and healthy as adults. When my mom was pregnant with me my dad would hide behind corners and sneak up on her with a spoonful of castor oil and I had to take it until I was about 10. IT.IS.THE.MOST.DISGUSTING.FLAVOR.EVERRRRRRR

As for the benefits, it makes your hair shiny, your skin healthy, it's good for your overall health and constitution, and for all intense purposes when my friends were getting sick from normal childhood illnesses my brothers and I weren't.

However.....

It tastes like fish bootyhole, but if you insist on taking it (because it is good for you) have a glass of lemon or lime juice near by to cut the flavor after you swallow the castor oil. Also, consider gel caps....

Aww gawd, I'm feeling........

Dayjoy

Old School Member
You all will think I'm crazy, but I called this person (whom I have not spoken to in a while) to find out if she was faking me out, or what. It turns out it wasn't castor oil but cod liver oil capsules. :wacky: Now I understand all the responses!! Anyone take cod liver oil?

Studio_gal

I was brought up on cod liver oil, because its good for the joints. I wouldn't be surprised if its good for the hair too. If you can't handle the taste of the liquid they are available in capsules too.:)

Energist

My mother used to make me take a tbsp of castor oil every evening during the winter time to keep a cold away. It was pure hell... I'd have to chase it down with orange juice :sad: Now I know that it kept a cold away or if I caught a cold got rid of it fast, but I was too young to notice if it did anything other than that.

Kacie

You all will think I'm crazy, but I called this person (whom I have not spoken to in a while) to find out if she was faking me out, or what. It turns out it wasn't castor oil but cod liver oil capsules. :wacky: Now I understand all the responses!! Anyone take cod liver oil?

Girl, that sounds a whole lot better. My mom used to give me cod liver oil as a child and I now give Omega 3,6,9's to my daughter. I tried to take it myself in the liquid form and I couldn't tolerate the oil at all, but the Tot loves it. I'm sure the capsules are better. I take borage oil daily for weight control but I didn't think to monitor the effects on my hair.

Energist

My mom used to give me cod liver oil as a child

Oops... my bad! How could I confuse the two... it was that God forsaken Cod Liver Oil :mad: that I used to have to take... not castor oil. I just called my mom to ask her and she said that her mother actually gave her castor oil to clean her out for the spring :lol:

tnorenberg

Whew ! I was gonna say, you're sure thats not Cod Liver Oil. I remember it was a pepperminty fishy flavor. They have other flavors now too - orange fishy flavor and lemon fishy flavor :lol: :lol: :lol:

Arcadian

in capsule or liquid form? If so what are the benefits and/or drawbacks? How much do you take?

I won't take it internally even on my worst day. I will say its a darn good laxative so if you plan on taking it internally, you may want to keep a few Depends around;)

Externally however, lots of people like it. I even liked it (until it came time to wash my hair:mad:)

Some of us likes how soft it made our hair, but it made washing it a very ugly experience. Everyone dosen't have that experience though (lucky them)

-A