How Often Can I Wash my Braids???

KiSseS03

Oy.... the last time I had braids I could go a week between washing them. This time for some reason my scalp is very very dry (maybe because it's a very cold winter here?). Anyway, when my hair was out I washed it 2-3 times a week faithfully with no scalp problems... Is twice a week too much with my braids, I'm just thinking about build-up here, I don't care if they look messy faster.

bluediamond0829

I use to wash mine at least once a week...but i dont see what harm it would do to wash them 2 times a week...like maybe a monday and then a saturday...

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
I would do conditioner washes on my braids everyday. This would eliminate the need for braidspray. My hair would always be so soft and supple once I took the braids out!

KiSseS03

dontspeakdefeat said:
I would do conditioner washes on my braids everyday. This would eliminate the need for braidspray. My hair would always be so soft and supple once I took the braids out!

Really DSD?? I would love to do that... and it didn't cause excessive build-up? I assume it was a very light conditioner, which one?

Angelicus

Wow, DSD, I never thought of doing that. DSD, When you were co-washing, was it wintertime? Also were your braids long? Thanks!

Healthb4Length

I wash my braids once a week with diluted shampoo and diluted conditioner. You can use a stocking cap and wash your braids that way to prevent fuzziness and keep them looking fresh longer. You should check out Den1's album and her braid regime, it's really informative.

CurliDiva

I condition wash weekly by using braid spray to rinse vs plain water. I got some fizz, but I more concerned with the health of my scalp and growth than prolonging the style.

Attachments

• CurliDiva Braids2.jpg
    CurliDiva Braids2.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 13

Jewell

The last time I had individual braids was about 4 years ago. I washed them weekly. I would put full strength shampoo on my scalp to loosen up the braid spray and oils I used nightly. I would rinse that out really well, and spray on a leave-in conditioner or diluted conditioner in a spray bottle (if it was diluted cond, I would rinse that out). My hair was very healthy when I took the braids out. I agree with CurliDiva about being more concerned with scalp and hair health (and growth) than making the braids last (they still lasted a good month and a half).

KiSseS03

Thanks for the response ladies.... and like I said, I'm not worried about how long these braids last, but my poor scalp and that dreaded build-up. I'm gonna wash how I would normally do today, and hopefully that will take away the itch, and I'll be able to wait another week...

Last edited:

aivonfay

If you don't mind the smell, I recommend using sulfur 8 on your scalp once a week. I only wash my hair once every 2 weeks. I don't have any build up and my scalp doesn't itch. I had to redo the front of my twist, because I had so much new growth and my hair was moisturized from root to tip.