Please Explain: How can sleeping with wet hair cause it to rot?

matuncks

I was told this today by the person who introduced me to this site. My confusion is, how is this different from air drying your hair? By morning, my hair is dry.

Right now I am wearing a weave and as a result, I do not do daily CW. However, I like running water through my hair in the shower, especially after working out. Sometimes I spray Biolage moisturizing tonic or water mixed with conditioner and EVOO. But by the time I am ready for bed, my hair is not dry.

So, is this true and if so, can someone please explain to me why because I don't see the difference.

ThursdayGirl

I don't think sleeping with wet hair will make it rot. I do about once a week... the problem comes when you never give your hair a chance to dry. Too much conditioning-too much moisture can make the hair soft and make it break easier.

In addition, like other things... the hair can sour if it never dries.

matuncks

Ok, that sheds some light on it, and the way I toss and turn when I sleep, I could see that happening, eventhough I tie my hair in a silk scarf. Thinking about it, since the hair is more fragile when wet, combined with laying on it can possibly lead to breakage. That makes more sense, because hair rottening just did not. Thanks

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
I do this all the time. I 'airdry' with a ponytail, especially when I don't want to use heat. I don't air dry well any other way. I like going to bed with my head wet in a ponytail during the summer, it keeps me cool. Since it has gotten cooler, I blowdry the roots some then pull my hair into ponytail.

Queenie

I go to bed with a wet head nearly every night. My hair certainly isn't rotten. It's soft and pretty.

glamazon386

I don't know how true this is but I remember my hairdresser telling me that hair can get moldy and to make sure all my hair was dry under my weave (like under the braids). Maybe the weave can make it do that since my hair underneath isn't exposed to air like it would be if it was out. I just looked at her like she was crazy. :look: She made me sit under the dryer for FOREVER until it was dry. I thought maybe she just didnt want me to go out in the cold air with it still damp in the middle. But I don't know... I guess it's possible :ohwell:

Cichelle

For the past many months my hair has been wet or damp at night because I cowash daily and put it in a loose ponytail or bun. My hair has not rotted. In fact, it's healthier than it has been in a long time.

ScandalousBeauty

I doubt that it would rot, but if your hair was entirely wet and not drying (like in a shower cap or something without conditioner) it might mildew or just stink. I used to rollerset my hair and let it dry over night twice a week, and everything came out fine.

I know a woman with thick, calf length hair that cannot sleep on a wet head very often, especially in the summer, because it causes her scalp to mildew since it takes so long to get dry.

I don't believe that your hair will 'rot' so to speak, but I do think that if you sleep on a wet head, and there is TONS of humidity (like there is here in good old Missouri) then your hair can mildew. You also have to take into consideration the length and thickness of your hair.

star

I think mold can set in which can lead to rotting. This is common with something is damp and not drying properly like the weft of a sew in weave. A plastic cap to keep moisture should be good at night. I think mold can set in if an area is damp and not getting air properly but not 100% sure about this I only heard this with it was weaves. :)

Porsche19

Your hair won't mildew overnight. As long as you let your hair dry in the day time, or whenever... it'll be fine. Just don't keep it wet continously.

mermaid

Your hair won't rot or mildew or mold as long as there is circulation- people who wash or CO wash or air dry daily have fresh air and/or water circulating through so nothing gets stale. I can see where if someone wasn't careful with a weave/braids to make sure the air/water isn't getting completely through,
I can see how mildew will set in (I seriously hope their normal maintenence would include getting the style redone before any mildew set in though. Otherwise they would have other problems with new growth locking up!).

matuncks

Thanks for all of the replies. It is a good thing that I question things that really don't add up. I sleep with a fan on high speed every night, so it definitely gets air. IMO, not running water through my hair after working out, and letting it air dry with sweat would leave my hair dry and brittle. So, I think I will take my chances and wet it daily.