I give up trying to straighten my natural hair!

bermudabeauty

It truely isn't worth it. 1 1/2-2 hours of work to have my hair revert before I even step foot out the door...thats riCOCKulous. I have researched and stalked blogs, fotkis, everything and I still can't keep my hair from reverting. I use a tourlamine flat iron on like 370, I have tried all sorts of products from, LIV, to Chi, I just can't get it to stay straight. I have been searching for Sabino Moisture block online, but I don't think it is sold anymore. Oh well curly hair it is!!!

Zaz

Sabino changed the name (and formula) of their moisture block to Lok n Blok, I bought it when I first joined right as the change happened so I never tried the old one but this new formula works rather well at preventing reversion:

http://www.gotfrizz.com/

They also changed their website to gotfrizz.com but it's still the same stylist, Victor Sabino, behind the product.

ETA, Pictures :grin:

Natural hair:

Hair after flat ironing:

Hair on day 4 after straightening and being out in the snow with no protection:

Last edited:

Mai Tai

Miss Nigeria-America
If your naturally curly hair wasn't already so fab I would feel sorry for you...but since I'm over here drooling over your siggy pic, you get absolutely no sympathy from this chick...:lachen:

Roux

I recently flat ironed my 12 months post hair and it got really straight and I think it's because I used this:

I also used minimal product in my hair, a silicone serum, and blow dried using pink skates tension method. I had really straight hair for two days before it began to poof. Is it humid where you are?

mscocoface

If your naturally curly hair wasn't already so fab I would feel sorry for you...but since I'm over here drooling over your siggy pic, you get absolutely no sympathy from this chick...:lachen:

Can I get a A to the MAN. Team Keep It Curly!!!!:lol:

Iluvsmuhgrass

Do you blow dry with Liv? It's pretty fantastic. I had been using it on top of moisturizer but one day I actually read the instructions :lol: #dontjudgeme :lol: And it said to use it on wet hair. I did and blow dried on low.... and let me tell ya.... it was pretty good. I didn't flat iron though. It's still looking like a blow out and it's been about a week.

bermudabeauty

Sabino changed the name (and formula) of their moisture block to Lok n Blok, I bought it when I first joined right as the change happened so I never tried the old one but this new formula works rather well at preventing reversion:

http://www.gotfrizz.com/

They also changed their website to gotfrizz.com but it's still the same stylist, Victor Sabino, behind the product.

ETA, Pictures :grin:

Natural hair:

Hair after flat ironing:

Hair on day 4 after straightening and being out in the snow with no protection:

Thank you for the information...Wait a minute did I read SNOW. and your hair is still straigt? Well since you seem to have the same curl pattern as me ...I will try this one last product.

bermudabeauty

I recently flat ironed my 12 months post hair and it got really straight and I think it's because I used this:

I also used minimal product in my hair, a silicone serum, and blow dried using pink skates tension method. I had really straight hair for two days before it began to poof. Is it humid where you are?

No its realy not humid

Napp

Ms. Nobody
since i started straightening with pressing oil i could never go back to the serums. they just dont cut it. when im done my hair is bouncy and has tons of movement.

nik83

It truely isn't worth it. 1 1/2-2 hours of work to have my hair revert before I even step foot out the door...thats riCOCKulous. I have researched and stalked blogs, fotkis, everything and I still can't keep my hair from reverting. I use a tourlamine flat iron on like 370, I have tried all sorts of products from, LIV, to Chi, I just can't get it to stay straight. I have been searching for Sabino Moisture block online, but I don't think it is sold anymore. Oh well curly hair it is!!!
I feel your pain, I went to the shop this afternoon to get my hair straightened, granted it is the first time since BC, but still, the hair dresser had my hair so laced my friends thought I relaxed it, and yet by the time of my B-day dinner 2 hours later it looked like I had pasted some weave to the top of a fro! :(

mischka

shrinkage.
I put a heavy creme based product in my hair while it's straight to keep it from frizzing. Once the sleekness of the heat wears off I braid it for braidouts.

cheryl26

hi mischka have you tried one of those denman brushes to straighten your hair? i wasn't using anything but the flat iron and dove protectant to straighten and my hair would get frizzy after 3-4 hours outside and it's HUMID here. i bought that brush and my hair barely frizzes when i use it not even when it's close to raining. it knocked out flat ironing. just wash, put some frizz ease serum in, let it dry a bit, and use the brush with a blow dryer and dove. you should give it a try i think it was like 10 bucks from sallys online on sale near thanksgiving.

Last edited:

dyh080

I totally agree....what is your problem, girl!?!? You better WEAR that beautiful hair!

NikStarrr

For me, I have to use a little oil on my hair BEFORE flat ironing (I apply a little while wet), and I just started using this heat protection serum (pic below), that kept my hair straight even in the BAHAMAS. Oh, and I have to use the flat iron at 400 or it just doesn't work.

Fantasia Heat protector straightening serum

LovelyLouboutin

When I Flat iron my hair I use a spray heat protectant and Sally's one n only Argan oil prior to blow drying. Then I apply a little more Argan oil and flat iron. I use the whole Argan oil line. I rarely have reversion problems with the exception of at my roots because of washing my face and I sweat in my sleep. Even when I box and my head is soaking with sweat reversion on the length of my hair is minimal.

Before giving up try switching appliances. For me, I have to find the right combo of appliances and products...took me 8 years to get it right but now I do. I use the chi flat iron and chi curling iron (not the chi air the other digital one) and the Sally one n only Argan oil line.
I'll try to remember to post the name of the spray protectant. I jut remember it's in a dark red bottle with gold writing. Maybe silk elements. Idk.

And your curls are great!

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal

Have you tried WestNDNBeauty's method. It seems simple enough, just infuse a lot of moisture into your hair before you attempt to flat iron. here is the thread:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=431336&highlight=moisture+flat+iron

I was thinking I could adapt that method by simply adding Chicoro's pre-poo moisture method first, then progressing from there and work to infuse moisture all the way through to flat ironing.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Here's what I do to keep straight non-reverting hair for over a month:

After washing, conditioning, rinsing, detangling, and towel drying....
-Apply Mane N Tail Conditioner to hair and then blowdry hair with Andis blowdryer with attachment
-Apply Ultra Sheen Satin Creme Pres to hair and flatiron in small sections with Chi iron

Shrunken natural hair

Straightened natural hair

Zaz

bermudabeauty I wasn't exactly running around in a snowy meadow but but I did forget my hat on a snowy day that I had errands to run and my hair stayed straight. Plus I've had the same bottle since '09 so it lasts a decent amount of time. I've only straightened 3 times though so that could be it too.

Poohbear Thanks :blush3: your hair looks beautiful as well :yep:

bermudabeauty

Here's what I do to keep straight non-reverting hair for over a month:

After washing, conditioning, rinsing, detangling, and towel drying....
-Apply Mane N Tail Conditioner to hair and then blowdry hair with Andis blowdryer with attachment
-Apply Ultra Sheen Satin Creme Pres to hair and flatiron in small sections with Chi iron

Shrunken natural hair

Straightened natural hair

ooh dayuuuum that is like the best flat iron in the world

BostonMaria

@bermudabeauty your hair is so perdy!
Do you live in a humid area? Because my straight hair in the winter is the bomb.com (thank you @EllePixie for teaching me this word LOL) but in the spring, summer and fall.. HAM! The minute it hits 65 and up my hair goes POOF.

I can tell you what I do since our hair is similar textures...
1. I wash, deep condition with AOHR, and rinse out 70% of the conditioner from my hair
2. Apply a leave-in, detangle, rollerset on wet hair (if its damp my hair comes out frizzy)
3. Go under the Pibbs for a million years. Once my hair is dry I flatiron with my CHI flatiron + heat protectant
4. When I'm done I might apply some argan oil

That's pretty much it. I try not to use too many products because my hair feels weighed down. If I blowdry my hair it doesn't look right on me nor does it last long. HTH!

Last edited:

AvaSpeaks

I might have to try this. Last night I blow dryed AND hot comb my hair and it got flat for like 5 mins :lol: I counted my blessings and my thickness, parted it in sections and went off to: sleep:.

I woke up today, took the sections out. I look like :whyme:

So I don't know. For some freakish reason, My hair is flatter when it's in it's twists than when it's being flat ironed? So I don't know if it's worth it either. Maybe when I grow out my hair longer.

My hair is thick and fine. I know that doesn't quite make sense but it is :nono:

bermudabeauty

@bermudabeauty your hair is so perdy!
Do you live in a humid area? Because my straight hair in the winter is the bomb.com (thank you @EllePixie for teaching me this word LOL) but in the spring, summer and fall.. HAM! The minute it hits 65 and up my hair goes POOF.

I can tell you what I do since our hair is similar textures...
1. I wash, deep condition with AOHR, and rinse out 70% of the conditioner from my hair
2. Apply a leave-in, detangle, rollerset on wet hair (if its damp my hair comes out frizzy)
3. Go under the Pibbs for a million years. Once my hair is dry I flatiron with my CHI flatiron + heat protectant
4. When I'm done I might apply some argan oil

That's pretty much it. I try not to use too many products because my hair feels weighed down. If I blowdry my hair it doesn't look right on me nor does it last long. HTH!

Thank you for your compliment and sharing your hair regimine. Your hair is beautiful!!! To answer your question, it is very hot in the summertime here but not humid. However, I do sweat alot. lol. Would you please tell me how high you set your flat iron?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I might have to try this. Last night I blow dryed AND hot comb my hair and it got flat for like 5 mins :lol: I counted my blessings and my thickness, parted it in sections and went off to: sleep:.

I woke up today, took the sections out. I look like :whyme:

So I don't know. For some freakish reason, My hair is flatter when it's in it's twists than when it's being flat ironed? So I don't know if it's worth it either. Maybe when I grow out my hair longer.

My hair is thick and fine. I know that doesn't quite make sense but it is :nono:
AvaSpeaks - One time I blowdried and used an electric hot comb 450 degrees to straighten my hair and it went :afro: within minutes. I think it's because I really don't know how to use the hot comb very well. They say its the back of the comb that straightens, not the teeth. So I have to use a flat iron with grease in order to get it straight. Plus, you have to make sure your hair is well conditioned before blowdrying as well. Then you have to make sure you apply a good even amount of grease to your ends so they won't look bushy after flat ironing.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
AvaSpeaks - One time I blowdried and used an electric hot comb 450 degrees to straighten my hair and it went :afro: within minutes. I think it's because I really don't know how to use the hot comb very well. They say its the back of the comb that straightens, not the teeth. So I have to use a flat iron with grease in order to get it straight. Plus, you have to make sure your hair is well conditioned before blowdrying as well. Then you have to make sure you apply a good even amount of grease to your ends so they won't look bushy after flat ironing.

technique is the key with a hot comb. it doesnt matter how hot it is, it wont straighten well if you do not know how to use it correctly. pressing with grease also helps to get the hair straight at a much lower temperature.