Pictures of beautiful gray hair

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I'm trying to find pictures of beautiful gray hair as inspiration for me as my hair is very gray at this point. I still color my hair regularly, but it's getting very dry and I'm afraid of the damage.

Most pics I found were of white people. Does anyone have beautiful pics of gray haired black women?

Danysedai and Sherrylove's mothers have inspired me too! (Their pictures are in separate threads.)
ETA I forgot to mention our own beautiful Suburbanbushbabe!

Last edited:

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
On Oprah.com: How to make your gray hair look gorgeous: http://www.oprah.com/omagazine/How-to-Make-Your-Gray-Hair-Look-Gorgeous
Might that brazen route be right for you? "Gray or white hair tends to look best with pink, olive, and dark complexions," says Lisa Chiccine, a stylist and owner of the Lisa Chiccine Salon in New York City. "If you're sallow or very pale, you'll probably look washed-out and should consider highlights or lowlights," she says. Brown hair that looks mousy as the gray comes in can be brightened and enriched by weaving in highlights and lowlights of honey, tortoiseshell, or mahogany. Another good option if you're just starting to go gray is to use a vegetable dye or a semipermanent glaze. Both will stain a lot of the gray, and when the color starts to fade, you won't have a root line, says Chiccine. If your gray comes in wiry, it's because it's dry, so use a weekly deep conditioner (such as Aveda Damage Remedy Intensive Restructuring Treatment or Philip Kingsley Elasticizer) to moisturize and calm it down. To counteract any yellow tones, get a violet-based gloss at the salon every six to eight weeks; it coats the hair and gives it shine, says Mikael Padilla, celebrity colorist for Wella Professionals in Los Angeles.

Gray demands more color, more wattage...

Go easy with the powder
When you've gone gray, or white, or salt-and-pepper, your skin can look washed-out and dull. So use a luminizing, moisturizing foundation, and apply powder only where you absolutely need it, says New York City makeup artist Mally Roncal.

and 7 Gorgeous Gray Hair Makeovers: http://www.oprah.com/style/7-Gorgeous-Gray-Hair-Makeovers#slide

Last edited:

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
This beautiful 60 year old looks great with her gray hair:

fatimablush

I found two from another thread:

SHE IS BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SERIOUSLY
I LOVE THE LENGTH AND THE STYLE!!!
The color is stiking..She looks so regal!
After my infatuation with the twa..i will start growing out my hair to.look.like.hers.

Aspire

I'm trying to find pictures of beautiful gray hair as inspiration for me as my hair is very gray at this point. I still color my hair regularly, but it's getting very dry and I'm afraid of the damage.

Most pics I found were of white people. Does anyone have beautiful pics of gray haired black women?

Danysedai and Sherrylove's mothers have inspired me too! (Their pictures are in separate threads.)
ETA I forgot to mention our own beautiful Suburbanbushbabe!

My grandmother has beautiful gray hair, but none of my pics do it justice. :nono:
Have you tried henna, amla, or indigo if the dye is damaging your hair? Just wondering. Amla is more gradual but it definitely darkening.

dlewis

I don't think you're going to find many pictures of black women with gray hair. We tend to dye our hair until the good Lord comes a knocking.

I don't plan (at this time) to ever dye my hair.

I most beautiful gray hair I've seen in IRL was a older woman in Walmart. She was a beautiful black woman, about 70 and you could tell she took pride in her looks, esp her BSL silver hair. Now that's my dream gray hair, but I want it to be maybe MBL or waist.

dlewis

jhirmack silver brighting poo and Clairol Shimmer Lights are the best poos for gray hair. I've used both of them and they kept the gray for being brassy.

Ms.Christ3n

Although I don't want to go gray any time soon... I want my whole head to be silver when I'm older! I love the way it looks!

kittikat24

I don't think you're going to find many pictures of black women with gray hair. We tend to dye our hair until the good Lord comes a knocking.

I've been searching online, and you're right, it's extremely rare to find AA women w/ gray hair, especially if its long. If I see a black woman w/ long gray hair IRL, usually it's in a high bun or PS.:yep:

~~HoneyComb~~

The member Suburbanbushbabe (?) I know the spelling is wrong--has beautiful gray hair--I'll see if I can find her pic.

I love beautiful gray hair on black women--when I get mine I hope it comes in beautiful, I plan on embracing it :yep:

Iamhim

This is an awesome thread. I'm already starting to get a lot of gray hairs and I don't plan on coloring them.