.::Half Micros/Half Tracks Hairstyle::.(Opinions needed)

D.Lisha

Hello All!!!!

So there's this hairstyle that is all the R A V E at my job (and just about everywhere in the South). It's called the Half-and-Half Up do! To achieve this style you braid half of the head in Micros, and the rest of the hair is finished off with sew-in tracks.
It's soooooooooooo cute! I was wondering what you all would think of it as a GOOD & SAFE protective style; Yay or Nay?

Last edited:

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
I've done it with Bobraz- perimeter with micros and the rest sewn in. Worked out really well and it was definitely a protective style since all my hair was put away

D.Lisha

Foxglove
Thanks for your input gurlie :). If you don't mind me asking...how was the process of washing it? And what was your growth retention like?

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Foxglove
Thanks for your input gurlie :). If you don't mind me asking...how was the process of washing it? And what was your growth retention like?

Retention was good, just be careful with takedown the same way you would with any braided or weave style. I never shampoo washed, I just cowashed and detangled with a wide tooth comb. Probably should have focused on my scalp more but I would recommend diluted shampoo in a bottle with a nozzle so you could get the shampoo directly to the scalp

DivineNapps1728

They've been doing this style up here forever; lacefronts are the current rage however.

Anyway, you could consider it a protective style in the sense that all of your hair is hidden, but micro braids are well known for ruining edges. They could also destroy the length of the hair if they're sealed with glue & not braided past one's own hair.

If you have hair that can handle considerable tension, that isn't breakage prone, & that has resilient edges this might be a good idea for you. Otherwise, maybe you could trade out the micros for larger braids to reduce the stress on your hair strands.

virtuenow

I've done it with Bobraz- perimeter with micros and the rest sewn in. Worked out really well and it was definitely a protective style since all my hair was put away

I also have the same style right now w/Bobraz. Its the perfect protective style. No leave out, no over heating your edges; and you can redo the perimeter to keep it fresh looking.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
I also have the same style right now w/Bobraz. Its the perfect protective style. No leave out, no over heating your edges; and you can redo the perimeter to keep it fresh looking.

The bolded was why I went with braided enges. I'm 4b and blending would have been a nightmare and would have caused more manipulation than necessary

virtuenow

The bolded was why I went with braided enges. I'm 4b and blending would have been a nightmare and would have caused more manipulation than necessary

I actually started my hairstyle w/straight hair and loose edges. It looked like the heat was breaking my edges off, so I decided to braid them up. Much better.

iri9109

my friends do this all the time b/c its quicker than getting your whole head braided, and you dont have to deal with blending.

JessieLeleB

virtuenow said:

Ok I def want to try this for the summer. Few ?s What's Bobraz? and is it hard to find track hair and single hair with the same texture and curl/wave?

Ms. Tiki

My neighbor does this all the time now and I thought about it. It's cute and it does help with growth. Her hair has grown a lot since she started wearing her hair like that. Before it looked like a rat gnawed on her hair.

D.Lisha

thanks for the input ladies! At first I was hesitant because of the possibility of the micros ruining my edges, but i'm sure if the braids arent tight, it shouldn't be any harm done.
I'm feeling alittle more confident abt this style! Thinking abt trying it nxt month sometime :)

virtuenow

Ok I def want to try this for the summer. Few ?s What's Bobraz? and is it hard to find track hair and single hair with the same texture and curl/wave?

I cut the hair off the track for the perimeter. Bobraz is the nickname for a popular kinky curly hair called Bohyme Brazilian kinky curly hair. It can be found online or at select beauty stores. Check their website. Also blackhairmedia has a huge thread about it that has been going strong for like 5yrs. Thats where I learned about it.

JessieLeleB

virtuenow said:
I cut the hair off the track for the perimeter. Bobraz is the nickname for a popular kinky curly hair called Bohyme Brazilian kinky curly hair. It can be found online or at select beauty stores. Check their website. Also blackhairmedia has a huge thread about it that has been going strong for like 5yrs. Thats where I learned about it.

Thanks! I'm def doing this, it's the best of both worlds, cuz braiding my own micros or taking down a head of micros and blending a sewin is a bit@h!!!

FearlessNik

Ghat's beautiful Foxglove. Can you give more info about the hair? I've never heard of that style. About how far pack is the front braided, where did you purchase your bobraz, and what lengths, and how many rows are braided? Thanks!

FoxxyLocs

My friend did this for me a couple of times while I was transitioning. I only kept it in for 2 weeks at a time, but I thought it was a cute style.

Uniqzoe

I had my hair like that once during my transition. It was cute and was a lot quicker to do than regular micros but provided me with basically the same look. Unfortunately I only have one picture of it and its not that great of a pic. http://images47.fotki.com/v1588/photos/6/1563796/8174072/braids-vi.jpg

My only problem with it was the stylist used a net for the tracks and I had a hard time keeping my hair moisturized underneath. Because of that I felt like I had more shedding than normal but it could have been all in my head, who knows.

D.Lisha

.::Bumping this Thread::.
Any updates from ladies that have had this style in since this thread was created?
How was your retention?
What did do to prevent the micros from ruining your edges?

Queensheba88

I plan on doing this style in Feb w. Some Malaysian deep wave hair...not doing micros more like pin plaits I just make sure make bigger parts and not a lot of hair in each braid which can be kinda heavy