Can I bun-it longterm without breakage?

missbugg21

Hey guys,

I don't post very often, but I'm in need of advice. I am currently transitioning (25 weeks post) and I am at the point where managing the two textures is becoming difficult. My go-to style is a bun (the sock/doughnut type) and although it's effective in keeping my ends hidden, I worry about breakage if I continue with this PS long-term.

My current regimen is:

• Bun daily with ouchless bands and wrap no more than 3 times to make sure they're not too tight
  • Co-wash weekly and follow-up with a moisturizing DC
  • Juice for added moisture 2x per day
  • Shampoo 1x per month to clarify
  • Trim as needed (last trim 4 weeks ago)
  • Limit the use of direct heat to just once or twice per quarter (for trims).
Has anyone used "sock" buns as a long-term transitioning style with minimal breakage? I know the hair will eventually be cut anyway, but I'm trying to retain as much length as I can during this transition until I'm ready to "chop."

TIA!

~S

Last edited:

9MillaNina

Hey guys,

I don't post very often, but I'm in need of advice. I am currently transitioning (25 weeks post) and I am at the point where managing the two textures is becoming difficult. My go-to style is a bun (the sock/doughnut type) and although it's effective in keeping my ends hidden, I worry about breakage if I continue with this PS long-term.

My current regimen is:

[*]Bun daily with ouchless bands and wrap no more than 3 times to make sure they're not too tight
[*]Co-wash weekly and follow-up with a moisturizing DC
[*]Juice for added moisture 2x per day
[*]Shampoo 1x per month to clarify
[*]Trim as needed (last trim 4 weeks ago)
[*]Limit the use of direct heat to just once or twice per quarter (for trims).

Has anyone used "sock" buns as a long-term transitioning style with minimal breakage? I know the hair will eventually be cut anyway, but I'm trying to retain as much length as I can during this transition until I'm ready to "chop."

TIA!

~S

This sounds a bit much as far as the sock goes. I wouldn't sleep in it at all. At least let your edges and nap rest at night. you will still need to find at least one other method though. Buy it all sound good

shortt29

I have been doing cowashing and buns throughout my transition and it will be 1 year for me in a few days! I don't use a sock or bun stuffing but I have noticed some breakage in the front and back of my hair from pulling it back constantly...currently looking for an additional style but I Cowash almost daily due to working out and buns are sooo easy

Jewell

Im sure u can with the right technique. I have bunned pretty consistently for the last 8 yrs, and have never experienced breakage due to my buns. I use Good Day Hair Pins to secure. These do not snag or pull on the hair. I twirl myhair around into a chignon and pin 2 in place. No damage for me.

Jewell

Im sure u can with the right technique. I have bunned pretty consistently for the last 8 yrs, and have never experienced breakage due to my buns. I use Good Day Hair Pins to secure. These do not snag or pull on the hair. I twirl my hair around into a chignon and pin 2 in place. No damage for me.

Onhergrind09

My advice would be as follows: 1) move around the location of your bun as to not always repeatedly put tension in the same place, 2) wrap your sock bun in a material that has slip like silk or satin 3) maybe just wrap the elastic around twice instead of 3 times if at all possible, 4) As stated by 9MillaNina, as soon as you are at home I'd take down the bun and let your hair breath in some loose style, 5) if your having issues with your edges, I'd suggest you give yourself scalp massages. I bun 99% of the time and have been for over a year w/out any breakage, but I don't use a sock bun. Other than those things, your regimen sounds solid, so if it's working, keep it it.

Enyo

missbugg21 I transitioned back in 1999, so I can't remember much about the state of my hair during that period. Have you tried just doing a regular bun without the sock? How does it look? I ask because I take the somewhat victorian approach to my hair which is that I almost never wear it down/out. If I'm in public it's pretty much guaranteed to be up in a bun. I've been doing this for about 3 years now and it's caused my hair to grow out to about MBL in the front (if that makes any sense) and almost WL in the back. Sometimes I wear the bun pretty slicked back like a ballerina, but other times I make it loose and relaxed. My edges are thin, but it's hereditary. My sister only has about half and inch of hair and my mom NEVER wears her hair up and they both have thin edges too.

I don't use elastic hair ties or clips with metal. Everything is made with the smoothest wood possible. I avoid wooden hair sticks that are square and very pointy, though, which is dangerous for natural hair. It seems extreme to some people, but it has really saved me from breakage and snagging. I think the fewer things you put in your hair, the better.

Last edited:

missbugg21

Thanks everyone!

I have been researching other techniques. The sock bun is the primary one I do, but I also do a bantu knot-type bun and wrap it with an elastic band twice to hold. I also do a large two-strand twist and tuck it into itself to hold into place.

I'm looking for ways to get a cute, secure bun without having to use elastics. I'm not very familiar with the hair pins and how to place them correctly to hold the hair secure. My hair is so thick that if it's not secure, it just looks like a bushy mess. I've been watching Youtube videos trying to find some other styles and techniques.

Any other suggestions or links are most appreciated. Thanks again!

ChocolatePie777

If im bunning long term I tend only to use sticks or mainly scrunchies....big or small ones depending on the style..

As far as a sock bun goes i dont use donuts since my natural hair can get the same effect without them.....but just make sure the material is not abrasive or drying